Favorite International Dub?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyàBitō

Favorite International Dub?

Post by SaiyàBitō » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:25 am

This is my first topic that I thought of.

I'm not sure if someone else did a similar topic but here goes.

I'm curious of what is everyone's favorite international dub? How did you see it (grew up with it, internet, etc.) and such. Anyone can add more to it if you want.
See - Life is like a ball.

It will keep rolling in time and bounce with excitement. Until, that ball will be flat. You will be weak.

But, don't fret. At time, the ball won't be flat anymore. It'll be round and strong. You, and I mean you, will be strong once again.

PROBABLY NOT ON HIATUS AGAIN BUT WHO KNOWS?

Yeah, thing is that I am always not here and it’s saddening to me. Seriously. I just want to make some great topics and such, yes?

kei17
I Live Here

Re: Favorite International Dub?

Post by kei17 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:37 am

1. Mexican Spanish dub
2. Valencian dub
3. Catalan dub
4. Cantonese dub (TVB J2)

I like watching the Mexican Spanish dub because of its good cast, accurate script and sound quality. I learned some Spanish before, so I occasionally listen to the dub for the sake of retaining my Spanish skill.

As for the Valencian dub, I like it for sociolinguistic reasons. I majored in sociolinguistics in university and the Valencian dub was one of the main topics in my graduation thesis. It is a rare case of producing an anime dub in a language that is considered both an independent language and a dialect depending on political contexts. Also, it's interesting that it's got some character names kept intact like the Ginyu Force members even though it's based on the French dub. The dubbed songs are nice, too.

The Catalan dub is full of flaws that originate in the French dub, but I feel some kind of passion of the staff in this. Maybe it's because they bothered to dub most of the insert songs. Also, I like seeing how the Catalan people love the series very deeply. It's nicely promoted on TV and the fans are very active on the Internet.

The J2 Cantonese dub (the original DB only) has some really nice voice actors who amazingly sound similar to the original Japanese actors. It's also nice that all the insert songs are left as-is.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:59 am

3.Mexican Spanish 2.Cantonese 1.Korean (Both Champ and Tooniverse)

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:57 am

The Hindi dub, only because of the Ocean impression voices and Saban BGM they had in the early DBZ episodes. Most of the Euro and Latin American dubs feel pretty samey to me, and the East Asian dubs are basically just inferior versions of what you get when you watch the show in Japanese.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

gaberparadiso
Beyond Newbie

Post by gaberparadiso » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:13 am

I'm sticking with Italian dub: it might have some big flaws, but its voice cast was almost perfect.
Mexican dub is great: its dialogues are faithful to the original version, and overall, I like most of their voices (Goku and Krillin's are really nice, but I don't like Cell's), Brazilian dub is also good, too.
As for Funimation dub, I can't believe how much it has improved. I can't wait to hear Sabat and Schemmel's performances.
However, my favorite dub is the Portuguese one: it's so hilarious, I just love Dodoria's baritone voice and Ginyu's falsetto.

SaiyàBitō

Post by SaiyàBitō » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:17 am

For me, it's like:

Valencià dub: Even though yes it's based on the French version, I absolutely like the voices in it (even though they used the Japanese audio like other European countries except EU Spanish dubbing.) And I most certainly adore of them singing into CHALA, Mind Power... KI and such. Sadly, the ending themes for the movies were either instrumental or Original Japanese.
And I never thought of them having the sudden name change for Kakarotto to "Cachalotte" in Movie 5 but I roll with it anyway.

Mandarin Dub (STAR TV China version): Sure, sometimes it can be off synchronization with the video and audio tracking.. I still like it's voices contained in the dub. But, at least the voice acting did improve over the years (with Kai, BoG, RoF, etc.). Kai though was amazing with it's dub I tell you. Well, up to Saiyā-jin to Freeza arc that is and of course Final Chapters. Yet, I still wanna know of that other Mandarin Dub.

Korean (Tooniverse and ANIBOX): The voices over there, just spontaneous! Especially of Son Gokōu's voice. And I love that in the Tooniverse version you have these different openimg and ending sequences from CHALA, We gotta power, ZENKAI Power and We used to be angels with a rather different track for the openings and endings.

It will keep rolling in time and bounce with excitement. Until, that ball will be flat. You will be weak.

But, don't fret. At time, the ball won't be flat anymore. It'll be round and strong. You, and I mean you, will be strong once again.

Yeah, thing is that I am always not here and it’s saddening to me. Seriously. I just want to make some great topics and such, yes?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:19 am

Well English Kai is my default way of watching the show so I guess I'd say modern day Funimation.

I also have a soft spot for the Saban and Westwood Ocean dubs because they are what I grew up with.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:22 am

The terrible Serbian dub, because i grew up with it and it introduced me to Dragon Ball.

DragonDuck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DragonDuck » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:05 am

I think I've made it pretty obvious in the past, but I'm a pretty big fan of the Danish dub. The voices are great, especially Caspar Philipson's Son Goku, the dialogue is well-adapted, even though it used the French version as a base, and while it has its flaws, such as the fact that it's not even complete, it's one of my favorites - and it's pretty much my childhood.

The German dubs are also pretty good, but I must admit I like the Kai dub quite a bit more than the Z dub. I don't know why, it just feels like they were taking it a bit more seriously with Kai.

Although I'd say the best dub from an objective standpoint would probably bee the J2 Cantonese dub of Dragon Ball. Those voices are just spot-on!
Champion of 2nd Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenka'ichi Budokai

There should be a witty quote or something down here. I'm just not imaginative enough to come up with anything.

gregoryluis09
Beyond Newbie

Post by gregoryluis09 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:26 am

1. Brazilian
2. Latin American Spanish
3. Korean
4. Valencian

SaiyàBitō

Post by SaiyàBitō » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:11 pm

kei17 wrote:1. Mexican Spanish dub
2. Valencian dub
3. Catalan dub
4. Cantonese dub (TVB J2)

I like watching the Mexican Spanish dub because of its good cast, accurate script and sound quality. I learned some Spanish before, so I occasionally listen to the dub for the sake of retaining my Spanish skill.

As for the Valencian dub, I like it for sociolinguistic reasons. I majored in sociolinguistics in university and the Valencian dub was one of the main topics in my graduation thesis. It is a rare case of producing an anime dub in a language that is considered both an independent language and a dialect depending on political contexts. Also, it's interesting that it's got some character names kept intact like the Ginyu Force members even though it's based on the French dub. The dubbed songs are nice, too.

The Catalan dub is full of flaws that originate in the French dub, but I feel some kind of passion of the staff in this. Maybe it's because they bothered to dub most of the insert songs. Also, I like seeing how the Catalan people love the series very deeply. It's nicely promoted on TV and the fans are very active on the Internet.

The J2 Cantonese dub (the original DB only) has some really nice voice actors who amazingly sound similar to the original Japanese actors. It's also nice that all the insert songs are left as-is.
Speaking of Valenciana, I meant to ask something

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:43 pm

1 - TVB J2 HK Cantonese dubs (DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBKai)
2 - Dragon Ball Z Latino spanish dub
3 - Dragon Ball Kai FUNi dub
4 - Dragon Ball Z German dub
5 - Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z Korean dubs
6 - DBZ Movies 1/2/3 Ocean dub
7 - DBZ Ocean/Westwood dub (1-53/108-276) yeah, yeah, I know...so bad, but so good.
8 - Dragon Ball FUNi dub
9 - Dragon Ball Z FUNi dub/Bruce Faulconer score
10 - Dragon Ball "Movie" Harmony Gold dub

But hey, nothing can beat the original, as everyone here at kanzenshuu knows. 8)

SaiyàBitō

Post by SaiyàBitō » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:00 am

ShinGaijin wrote:1 - TVB J2 HK Cantonese dubs (DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBKai)
2 - Dragon Ball Z Latino spanish dub
3 - Dragon Ball Kai FUNi dub
4 - Dragon Ball Z German dub
5 - Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z Korean dubs
6 - DBZ Movies 1/2/3 Ocean dub
7 - DBZ Ocean/Westwood dub (1-53/108-276) yeah, yeah, I know...so bad, but so good.
8 - Dragon Ball FUNi dub
9 - Dragon Ball Z FUNi dub/Bruce Faulconer score
10 - Dragon Ball "Movie" Harmony Gold dub

But hey, nothing can beat the original, as everyone here at kanzenshuu knows. 8)
You're absolutely right on that one.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:37 am

Does this topic include DBZ Kai dubs, too?

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:55 am

sangofe wrote:Does this topic include DBZ Kai dubs, too?
Why not?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:16 am

In that case i have to say the French dbz kai dub as my favourite.

SaiyàBitō

Post by SaiyàBitō » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:26 pm

sangofe wrote:In that case i have to say the French dbz kai dub as my favourite.
Why of course, yes. I certainly adore of the French dubbing of DB Kai as well.

The improvements in the voices, very excellent than before.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:12 am

You know, I have a feeling the German dub of original DB would be more enjoyable if the audio was cut to fit the filler-free fanedit that someone created (forgot his/her name), editing in the Japanese audio and putting forced subs where necessarily of course. Since most of the Frenchisms of the original DB dub come from filler, and combined with the German dub of DB Kai, that is probably the best way to see DB and DBZ in German.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:03 pm

I figured that since it hasn't yet been a year since this thread was created, that I could revive it. Has anyone's changed their opinions on their favorite international dubs? Not to mention that we have newer members here to offer their own thoughts. In any case, I'd like to hear what others might think about this.

Personally, I might change my list to this;
5.Italian
4.Cantonese
3.Korean
2.Latin American dub
1.French Kai
This list doesn't correlate to how much I like each one.
Last edited by Bansho64 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HanamichiSakuragi

Post by HanamichiSakuragi » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:40 pm

1. Latin american dub
2. Japanese
3. French