"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by ZombieVito » Mon May 09, 2016 1:03 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Future Trunks. Black Goku. Are we going to see a shift in tone?
Hopefully.

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Mon May 09, 2016 1:09 pm

Not a fan of bringing up old characters over and over, but still pretty excited.

P.S. Toei is racist.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Mon May 09, 2016 1:14 pm

Future Trunks - Glade to have him back, never really liked his child counterpart.

Black Goku - I may actually be the only one looking forward to this. Always wanted to see what an evil version of our hero, with all of his current power (maybe greater), would be capable of. People say is a worn out concept but since their has never been an in story evil Goku besides Turles (who's a movie character) and only in fanfiction, haveing the chance to see if for real makes me excited. I love evil/corrupt versions of heroes. Bizarro, Venom, Red Hulk and now Black Goku!

On the whole looking forward to were this is going.

fexus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by fexus » Mon May 09, 2016 1:21 pm

Just read the thread and wow. You guys really hated this. I really thought most of you are going to be more excited. And what's with the fanfiction thing anyway. Future Trunks story line is already like a fanfic. And also DB had almost done everything that could be done. Unless they also went to hell too, there's literally nothing else to do. Or do you guys think that they were going to skip the Evil Goku thing because it sounds too much like a fanfic? It would also be boring to have another multiverse tournament just right after the other one. Oh wait, that sounds like a fanfic too.
I ask thou, WHY MUST IT BE ME?
Your weakness is your strength.
Are you reading this? If you are, I just want to let you know that I'm a GREAT GUY. :lol:

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Mon May 09, 2016 1:22 pm

I've had a thought. Goku Black (it's from ゴクウブラック, so I assume it's in that order) might be a villain named Black using a Goku form.
It's not a new idea. In GT we've had the name Vegeta-Baby (Baby Vegeta in English versions), for example, and here, Goku-Black's name is set up the same way. Goku's name is in katakana here, even.
I'm purely speculating here, but we might be looking at some sort of shapeshifter (or Baby rehash) named Black. Maybe there's some kind of connection to Copy Vegeta?

In any case I wouldn't actually expect Evil Goku to really happen. Though Toriyama's simplicity has fooled me before.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Mon May 09, 2016 1:23 pm

TheMikado wrote:Yeah its clear the poster hasn't even watched GT as making Goku a child had no effect on his power at all. Therefore things were not (more threatening) because he was a child and he would have had the same difficulty with the exception of stamina if he were an adult.
Only thing clear here is how you have no idea what you're talking about and is not well informed.
It was someone from the staff, not me, who said in an interview the idea of turning Goku into a kid came up because he was too strong so they couldn't think of new challenges. And his limitations did affect the plot whenever it was convenient. Goku being weaker as a kid was relevant for the entire first arc. And the fact he couldn't use Shunkan Ido properly, for instance, was used as a plot device so they could have a reason to kill Piccolo. The whole thing screams lazy writing.

That was all thrown out of the window once they started coming up with ridiculously strong enemies made of terrible concepts like Super 17, anyway....although SSJ4 running out of time due to his stamina, again, came up whenever it was convenient.

Btw, to say i didn't watch GT only because i'm pointing out the flaws in a series you like is ridiculous.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Mon May 09, 2016 1:29 pm

Whee, what the hell is that? I went to watch Mothra and went to sleep afterwards, I missed the whole fun yesterday.

Trunks is back and Goku Black, huh? AF is real!
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon May 09, 2016 1:38 pm

ssj_duelist wrote:Ireally hope Trunks has managed to become ss2 whilst he's been gone. He could have gone trained in the RoSaT.
Didn't Trunks already become a Super Saiyin Two by the end of the Cell Saga? His buff broly-esc form being a close SS3 gone wrong.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon May 09, 2016 1:40 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:Dragonball Super is now turning into Fanfiction. This arc is going to be set in different places and timelines so a lot of characters will be needed which means other characters should play bigger roles and especially since it was originally the editorials idea. Just make sure there is no crap in this arc Toriyama. There will be a more complicated story will is also good.
My prediction is that when everyone was supposed to of died in Trunks' timeline they actually didn't and went to some other dimension and are now evil.

My Predictions:
Black Goku returns and kills Gohan immediately as that is Gohan's role now.
Universe 6 characters return.
The group get seperated and spread across the universe 6 and 7 to solve the problem.
Black Goku is not the only one there is also Black Vegeta, Piccolo and Gohan.
Maybe this will rip off Mortal Combat and dying made them evil with a powerup, forcing the U7 Z-warriors to re-kill them and unfortunatly making sure they don't even go to Otherworld.

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon May 09, 2016 1:41 pm

ssj_duelist wrote:
sintzu wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:Fair enough. I personally think we'll be getting the tournament sooner and it will lead directly in to a multiversal threat.
I can see that happening but where do they go after taking out a threat like that ?
I thin this is the main reason I still prefer GT, it never wrote itself into a corner. Of course the downside to this was that it made characters look weaker than they should have been.
I thought the result of the character nerfs WAS the result of them writing themselves into a corner...

Kanassa wrote:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon May 09, 2016 1:43 pm

sintzu wrote:
Vados_chan wrote:Also Goku as a villain? it's not enough that he hogs the spotlight as a hero, now he's got to be a major villain too? :problem:
DB is his story so it makes sense for him to be the hero but I get what you mean so hopefully our Goku won't be the one who takes him down.
Vados_chan wrote:And shouldn't Trunks be only SSJ2 level? Unless he got SSJ3 which even then is pointless since Goku and Vegeta can beat guys that strong with one arm tied behind their back.
He might do the ritual and get Ssj red.
Hmm... Yeah, according to the legend you never actually needed to even be a Super Saiyin to become a Super Saiyin God. Then again, if that's the case, why not do it with Gohan, Goten and Kid Truns?

Kanassa wrote:

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon May 09, 2016 1:48 pm

Kanassa wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Vados_chan wrote:Also Goku as a villain? it's not enough that he hogs the spotlight as a hero, now he's got to be a major villain too? :problem:
DB is his story so it makes sense for him to be the hero but I get what you mean so hopefully our Goku won't be the one who takes him down.
Vados_chan wrote:And shouldn't Trunks be only SSJ2 level? Unless he got SSJ3 which even then is pointless since Goku and Vegeta can beat guys that strong with one arm tied behind their back.
He might do the ritual and get Ssj red.
Hmm... Yeah, according to the legend you never actually needed to even be a Super Saiyin to become a Super Saiyin God. Then again, if that's the case, why not do it with Gohan, Goten and Kid Truns?
Because Akira doesn't want them at that level of power, at least for now. Theoretically, they really should have made everyone of them go through the ritual. It isn't a certainty that they would be able to keep the power, although i think they would because they're all prodigies too.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon May 09, 2016 1:49 pm

@Kanassa Woah dude. Use the edit button and group all those post together. Multi-posting is pretty frowned upon. You can use a quote feature while typing a reply to help group other people's posts together.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Mon May 09, 2016 1:52 pm

Sandubadear wrote:Whee, what the hell is that? I went to watch Mothra and went to sleep afterwards, I missed the whole fun yesterday.

Trunks is back and Goku Black, huh? AF is real!
I think the collective belief of western fans in AF all those years back is what really created Super.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon May 09, 2016 1:56 pm

My Predictions:
Black Goku returns and kills Gohan immediately as that is Gohan's role now.
Universe 6 characters return.
The group get seperated and spread across the universe 6 and 7 to solve the problem.
Black Goku is not the only one there is also Black Vegeta, Piccolo and Gohan.
Who was the one who died during ROF and hasn't gotten one single win in super...?
Honestly, I'm hoping this black goku thing has a hint of creativity because as of now....
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Mon May 09, 2016 1:57 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
I thin this is the main reason I still prefer GT, it never wrote itself into a corner. Of course the downside to this was that it made characters look weaker than they should have been.

I thought the result of the character nerfs WAS the result of them writing themselves into a corner...
There are tons of points were Dragon Ball was written into a corner as well.

People trying to sling that kind of mud at Super or GT are just being petty.
Last edited by Lord Frieza on Mon May 09, 2016 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon May 09, 2016 1:58 pm

People nowadays will whine and bitch about anything. Like they're spoiled little brats.
Fans: "I don't want to start right off with another tournament arc, give us another villain before that time."
Toei: "Sure, here's Black Goku!"
Fans: "Noo that's fanfiction blablabla!"

So what!? What if it is fan fiction!? Just enjoy a good show and don't whine all the time about these "so-called" childish rules. There has never been an Evil Goku in CANON material before. So this is a nice change of pace and original. Don't like it? Stay away.
Last edited by GodVegetto91 on Mon May 09, 2016 2:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Mon May 09, 2016 1:58 pm

Again the question... Why the fuck has Trunks blue hair?

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Mon May 09, 2016 1:59 pm

Kishido wrote:Again the question... Why the fuck has Trunks blue hair?
Kid Trunks had blue hair in the promos too, but it was changed.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Mon May 09, 2016 2:00 pm

Excited Future Trunks is returning, but what the deal with red scarfs in DB am I missing something?