Envy at Actor Meeting like other Fandoms?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Envy at Actor Meeting like other Fandoms?

Post by Super Sonic » Mon May 23, 2016 9:35 pm

Was thinking recently, as many of us have met DB actors either from the original Japanese or whatever our native tongue's dub is, have anyone of your friends ever expressed that they thought you were lucky or say they were jealous of you for it? Had a friend say she was a little envious I met Laura Bailey and Scott McNeil at some Canadian cons. With the mention of other fandoms, I hear of it more, for example I had a few friends say I was lucky or they were jealous that I met four cast members of the original Star Trek, as well as my sister being mad that my dad and I got a pic with Michael Dorn without her. So thought if this has happened with any of you guys?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Envy at Actor Meeting like other Fandoms?

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon May 23, 2016 9:50 pm

*raises hand*

That's basically me every time I see pictures of fans getting to meet awesome people that I'm a fan of. I shake my fist out of anger and bitter jealousy towards each and every one of you every time. EVERY TIME. Curse you all!

(No, seriously though, I really am pretty jealous, but also totally enthused for the people that do really get that lucky to go to cons and meet their idols/heroes/just plain people whose work they like.)
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue May 24, 2016 1:08 am

I'm always very jealous of the conventions over in America and Canada because you guys are spoilt rotten when it comes to voice actor guests. Over here in the UK it's very rare to see an appearance of any Canadian VAs like Scott McNeil, Brian Drummond or Brad Swaile etc and I've yet to see an appearance from any "A-list" American VAs like Steve Blum, Tom Kenny, Phil Lamarr or Mark Hamill (though in Hamill's case I can understand that his live action career would make him high difficult to bring in).

Since these are the types of voice actors I grew up hearing, naturally they're the actors I want to meet yet the best my local conventions seem to manage are small time Texas VAs who might've been cast in a supporting role on one of Funimation's recent dubs, basically someone I couldn't care less about.

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Tue May 24, 2016 9:13 am

I don't know anybody who has met any of the cast but I'm always a little envious when I see people get pictures with them! Last year I had tickets book to a convention in Sunderland, UK to see Sean Schemmel. I was so excited about it and he had to pull out due to illness. I was so gutted. He was literally the reason I'd purchased the ticket. So that was really disappointing but I'm hoping he'll come back at some stage. (he was in Bristol earlier this year, but not ideal for me to travel)

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Wed May 25, 2016 12:02 pm

My friends weren't jealous of me meeting the Japanese voice actors at Animazement in 2013, but they were jealous of the tears of joy I had that day after meeting them. They said they wished they loved something as much as I love Dragon Ball :lol:
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon