Digest Edition (Sōshūhen) Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

redon
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Digest Edition Pre-Order

Post by redon » Wed May 18, 2016 12:34 pm

Got Dragon Ball Legend Vol. 01 today. I'm very happy with the new edition, maybe I will buy all Volumes in the future :mrgreen:

Detective X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Detective X » Thu May 19, 2016 6:41 pm

4 and 5 just went up for pre-order on Amazon Japan.

Volume 4

Volume 5

I assume this will take us through the Red Ribbon arc (4) and present the 22nd Budokai in a full volume (5).
We Gotta Podcast: https://www.youtube.com/@wegottapod

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Thu May 19, 2016 7:58 pm

Detective X wrote:4 and 5 just went up for pre-order on Amazon Japan.

Volume 4

Volume 5

I assume this will take us through the Red Ribbon arc (4) and present the 22nd Budokai in a full volume (5).
Good to see these popping up so soon, thanks for the links! I'm really surprised yet glad to see that these won't take long to come out.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri May 20, 2016 2:13 am

Wezenheim wrote:

Volume 4

Volume 5

Good to see these popping up so soon, thanks for the links! I'm really surprised yet glad to see that these won't take long to come out.
The announcement said "the second and fourth Friday of each subsequent month seeing one new volume apiece."
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Fri May 20, 2016 2:45 am

Adamant wrote:
Wezenheim wrote:

Volume 4

Volume 5

The announcement said "the second and fourth Friday of each subsequent month seeing one new volume apiece."
Oh I'm aware, just surprised about it in general! I didn't mean to give the impression that I'm just now surprised about it, but I realize now that I worded my post that way. Whoops! I do have to wonder if I should even be surprised in the first place though. I'm not extremely familiar with the typical time window for releases like these.

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Digest Edition (Sōshūhen) Discussion Thread

Post by DBZfan29 » Sat May 21, 2016 5:54 pm

Picked up my copy today and noticed that one of the color chapters does not start on its own page, so part of the previous chapter is printed in black and white on the nicer quality paper. Was wondering why Shueisha couldn't use this paper for the whole release. Is it really expensive? If I remember correctly, Saikyo Jump uses this paper with SD. Would really love to have the series like this because it looks really clean.
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat May 21, 2016 8:17 pm

DBZfan29 wrote:Picked up my copy today and noticed that one of the color chapters does not start on its own page, so part of the previous chapter is printed in black and white on the nicer quality paper. Was wondering why Shueisha couldn't use this paper for the whole release. Is it really expensive? If I remember correctly, Saikyo Jump uses this paper with SD. Would really love to have the series like this because it looks really clean.
In the original jumps the color pages were on semigloss paper while the black and white/partial colors were not. In this case the black and white being printed on the back of the color page might have been to save page count?

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Fri May 27, 2016 12:58 pm

This release will most likely confirm the superior arc division, introduced by the mighty Gaffer Tape-sama. Maybe the EXACT numbers won't be same, and Cell arc will be called A. Humans & Cell arc, but it will be 10 arcs in total, no more "Boyhood" arc bullshit <3

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri May 27, 2016 3:11 pm

I'm fairly certain I can't take credit for being the first to have divided the series the way I do, and while I certainly like and approve of the way I do things (otherwise I wouldn't do them), people are entitled to their own opinions, and, if they're so inclined, I'm always willing to debate the point.

Anyway, back to the show! :D
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Atp23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Atp23 » Sat May 28, 2016 12:51 am

It's a late post, but for those out there who prefer cdjapan over other options, they are now selling volume 3 http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-1957071

And preordering volumes 4: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-1960325 (16 copies left at time of post)
And 5: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-1960335 (15 copies left at time of this post)

Don't seem to have 1 and 2 though.

Marugoto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marugoto » Sat May 28, 2016 1:12 pm

They had 1&2 listed as well. But they where always out of stock. And now the listings completely vanished. Weird.

EDIT They're both listed again:

vol.1 http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-1952143 vol.2 http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-1952144

Still out of print though...

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun May 29, 2016 12:01 am

I think I'm going to order these. I don't have a complete collection of the manga at the moment, and certainly not the whole run in Japanese. I get that this isn't a 100-percent faithful reproduction, but maintaining most of the original JUMP extras and that general aesthetic are enough. The presentation here really appeals to me. I wish it didn't have all the modern ads and card promo stuff, but I totally understand that some concession has to be made to modern child readers so this isn't purely a nostalgia-driven release. The cards are probably a good way to do that.

EDIT -- Damn. Missed the first two. Anyone have a lead on where I could still get them?

Also, what's the best way to keep abreast of the release schedule, and how often are they released? Trying to figure out if it makes sense to wait a bit so multiple volumes could be combined to reduce shipping costs, or if that would be too big a risk as far as inventory goes. I haven't bought a current Japanese release before.

EDIT EDIT -- Never mind. Got all three through Amazon Japan. The prices is really right on these too -- three volumes plus international shipping for ~$30. Other questions still stand -- how do I not miss these? Just watch this space?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun May 29, 2016 9:01 am

We cover the release schedule every time we update about them :).

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/tag/soshuhen/

The second and fourth Friday of each subsequent month see one new volume apiece. These are "mook" releases and do not stay in print and on store shelves. If you want them, you have to order them while they're new (if not pre-order them outright).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun May 29, 2016 9:11 am

VegettoEX wrote:We cover the release schedule every time we update about them :).

The second and fourth Friday of each subsequent month see one new volume apiece. These are "mook" releases and do not stay in print and on store shelves. If you want them, you have to order them while they're new (if not pre-order them outright).
So once they're outta print they're out? No second printings?

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Sun May 29, 2016 12:49 pm

VegettoEX wrote:We cover the release schedule every time we update about them :).

Aaaanndd I just ordered volume three! I really want to get all of these releases if possible, I really like them. Even moreso than the Kanzenban.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Sun May 29, 2016 10:29 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:

So once they're outta print they're out? No second printings?
An additional printing or two isn't impossible per se (for example, the first One Piece soshuhen book originally came out in 2005, but received a reprint in 2008, and another in 2009)...but it's definitely not something you should count on happening.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun May 29, 2016 10:35 pm

Thanks for the clarification!r

Edit and update -- Got the first three. They're fantastic, though I have no idea where I'm going to put them. (I guess they're a little smaller than the Marvel/DC Essentials/Showcase Presents volumes, so it's not as if I don't have a precedence for storing large paperback comics in boxes). The paper for non-glossy pages is a thick news stock--basically what you could expect of indie comics of a certain era. They feel exactly like the early Mirage TMNT books.

What I'm really digging about these, though, is reading the series in Japanese for the first time. I use that somewhat loosely, since I'm not fluent (the last time I was formally learning it was during my Japanese minor more than four years ago). But Dragon Ball actually makes the perfect practice, since the dialogue is all relatively simple and I have an intense familiarity with the story, including having heard the dialogue read in Japanese via the anime. And, honestly, even in the cases where my vocabulary fails me on a few words, or I couldn't necessarily replicate the sentence structure on my own, I rarely come away from a speech bubble without a pretty firm understanding of what's being said and the way a character's saying it. At the very least, and a little bit shockingly, it feels like an actual reading experience. It's really great--it's easy to imagine all the Japanese voice actors I'm familiar with from the TV version reading their lines. Since I'm actually trying to re-read the series this way, though, it's super slow-going; I'm probably spending twice as long on each page as I would an English-language version, and I have no idea when I'll get around to completing a read through the series this way.

Also, Toriyama is incredible with how efficient he is with characterization in these early chapters. And the art is still in its show-offy stage coming off Dr. Slump. It's amazing to revisit the series when he's still fully invested in it (don't get me wrong, though, I love the Boo arc to death). Early Dragon Ball is so damn good. I'm glad to have the larger artwork in these too, even if it's not as crisp as it could be due to the paperstock (but that's in keeping with the vein of these being cheaper JUMP mock-up releases anyway).

WhisPL
Not-So-Newbie

Post by WhisPL » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:58 am

Cover 86 Chapter 4 Volume

Cover 5 Volume

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:54 pm

So Legend 4 arrived for me today, and it is probably the most interesting one so far. I apologize in advance for the low quality of some of these images, my phone's camera isn't extremely great.

Cover, courtesy of Kanzenshuu's own Twitter account:
The first thing that jumped out to me about this issue is the fact that there's a new ad on the back. This one has an ad for the upcoming Dragon Ball Fusions rather than Dragon Ball Heroes.
The second thing I noticed about the outside is the fact that the spine is orange, just like Legend 3 (Although the font is pink, which I'm fine with). I love this touch. This makes it much easier to keep track of the arcs for referencing and things like that. I don't know if it was already said that this would be done, but I hope it continues. Spines so far:
The really interesting thing about this Legend is the extra material inside. First of all, there's an advertisement for Super's Future Trunks arc:
This ad contains a lot of Trunks related material if you unfold the title page/poster it is printed on the back of. Although I can't translate, it seems to mostly be advertising the Super arc and teasing Trunks' appearances in later Legends (13-15). There's some timeline information that I assume is also talking about Trunks. There appears to be ads for the Dragon Ball Super manga and the DVD Boxes (?) at the bottom as well.
This is the title page that the ad was on the back of:
Finally, there was a poster at the beginning of the book that came with artwork on both sides:
So there goes the Red Ribbon Army arc! I'm a little weirded out by the Trunks ad in the middle of things, but I also can't deny that I think it is kinda cool. Onto the next!

Snow_Lilies

Post by Snow_Lilies » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:50 am

Does anyone know when Kinokuniya listings tend to go up? 1-4 is still listed well enough, but haven't seen any sign of Vol. 5 yet.