"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:42 pm

Kagari wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:So is this actually Future Trunks? or Kid Trunks grown up?
Future Trunks, the same one whose future was already destroyed by the Androids.
I call confusion to the extreme then. I hope we get some serious explanation here.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:43 pm

It could be a sealed Demigra drained of power or something, and needs power to restore himself. (Goku)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:44 pm

I wonder how everyone would've reacted if they didn't announce this and instead let us find out about it from the preview.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Nekis13
Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:45 pm

sintzu wrote:I wonder how everyone would've reacted if they didn't announce this and instead let us find out about it from the preview.
Dear lord, I can see the people who have tried to stay spoiler free shitting themselves right now.
stay edgy

DeviantArt Thing: Drawings and stuff, also Dragon Ball

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:45 pm

I hope Trunks has surpassed Super Saiyan, I mean it could be something unique to him, not being SSJ2. Surely after all this time he's gotten at least a new form.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:47 pm

Now that we've seen the preview, it does seem possible the black entity simply takes over Goku of the present (rather than resurrecting Future Goku's corpse or something). While not a very original idea in anyway, it could potentially be brillaint for Dragon Ball if it means it removes Goku out of equation for the entire arc as he's the main villain and the rest of the cast gets to shine and fight and figure out how to defeat him.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:50 pm

Basaku wrote:Now that we've seen the preview, it does seem possible the black entity simply takes over Goku of the present (rather than resurrecting Future Goku's corpse or something). While not a very original idea in anyway, it could potentially be brillaint for Dragon Ball if it means it removes Goku out of equation for the entire arc as he's the main villain and the rest of the cast gets to shine and fight and figure out how to defeat him.
Goku was taken out of the picture for the entirety of the Android and Cell arcs so if this is going back to that tone then it would be the perfect thing to do.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:52 pm

What is up everyone's obsession with a dark arc? I also find it funny since the retellings were generally darker than the movies and the only real light arc was the Champa Saga.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:52 pm

Some people are being dumb about Trunks hair. If kid Trunks has purple hair, it's obvious that his hair gets blue with age...

Nekis13
Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:53 pm

SaiyaSith wrote:Some people are being dumb about Trunks hair. If kid Trunks has purple hair, it's obvious that his hair gets blue with age...
Also didn't Bulma's hair shift from Purple to Blue in the Manga? Hell. That's the perfect evidence right there.
stay edgy

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:54 pm

HeroR wrote:What is up everyone's obsession with a dark arc?
How many reunion parties, food jokes, slapstick humor and low-stakes can we take in a show that became a phenomenon thanks to its action-heavy high-stakes sagas?

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:55 pm

SaiyaSith wrote:Some people are being dumb about Trunks hair. If kid Trunks has purple hair, it's obvious that his hair gets blue with age...
Makes sense, given Trunks' family's hair history.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:57 pm

I'd rather see this arc in a movie. I think that would be the better idea just so the animation is on par with Battle of Gods and RoF.

fexus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by fexus » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:57 pm

I really hope Toriyama have some kind of editor with him for this arc. It's already confusing with all the previous time travel and this would make it even more confusing.
I ask thou, WHY MUST IT BE ME?
Your weakness is your strength.
Are you reading this? If you are, I just want to let you know that I'm a GREAT GUY. :lol:

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:57 pm

I hope Black destroy's Earth's Dragon Ball's early in the arc to make death mean something again, and to make it a certain possibility. We don't know where the Namekian's are exactly and Super Shenron could be a challenge to find again. It'd definitely make it darker, the Earth's Dragon Ball's will ruin the mood of the arc if not.
Last edited by Xeztin on Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King Jacku
Beyond Newbie

Post by King Jacku » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:58 pm

Looks interesting. Please live up to the hype.

It's crazy seeing the contrast between worlds from the preview, Our original timeline is so very, very bright and colorful lol. I feel sorry for Trunks.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:58 pm

Nekis13 wrote:
Also didn't Bulma's hair shift from Purple to Blue in the Manga? Hell. That's the perfect evidence right there.
Bulma hair was always purple in the manga. Just like Trunks and Bra.
Toei could have given blue hair to Trunks in the beginning, since he reveals to be her son shortly after his debut, but they didn't.
There's no reason to change it now. We have Purple hair Trunks everywhere.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Nekis13
Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:59 pm

fexus wrote:I really hope Toriyama have some kind of editor with him for this arc. It's already confusing with all the previous time travel and this would make it even more confusing.
Well... he did say things were gonna get kinda confusing. And I believe the idea of this arc was a suggestion given to him, so I guess we're fine.
stay edgy

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:59 pm

Basaku wrote:
HeroR wrote:What is up everyone's obsession with a dark arc?
How many reunion parties, food jokes, slapstick humor and low-stakes can we take in a show that became a phenomenon thanks to its action-heavy high-stakes sagas?
Beerus in general was more evil than he was in the movie and took sadistic pleasure tormenting Vegeta and the fight with Goku was more intense since Beerus tried to kill Goku severe times. Freeza tortured someone into insanity, tortured Gohan, killed Piccolo, attack Goku's friends, and we see detail of the Earth being destroyed while everyone can only look on in horror. Also, the only real reunion party was Bulma's birthday, unless you want to stretch and called the celebration party for their victory over U6 a reunion. Also, most of the slapstick humor was in the light-hearted slice-of-life episodes that were meant to be calm and funny and Dragon Ball always had a mixed of humor and darkness. The Buu Saga was about a giant pink blob who turned people into food and ate them, and it had more of its far share of toilet humor. The Android/Cell Saga was the only real saga that was completely serious all the time and even then we got Mr. Satan.
Last edited by HeroR on Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:01 pm

Nekis13 wrote:
fexus wrote:I really hope Toriyama have some kind of editor with him for this arc. It's already confusing with all the previous time travel and this would make it even more confusing.
Well... he did say things were gonna get kinda confusing. And I believe the idea of this arc was a suggestion given to him, so I guess we're fine.
We'll see. He managed OK with time travel stuff in original Cell saga but the more you add the more possibilities of mistakes unfortunately. We're still lucky that DB does parrarel timelines instead of grandfather paradox, that would get messy in the first Android saga episode right away...
HeroR wrote:Also, most of the slapstick humor was in the light-hearted slice-of-life episodes that were meant to be calm and funny and Dragon Ball always had a mixed of humor and darkness.
In some sagas better than others. I wouldn't call first 47 Super episodes one of the better examples in the show's history. Obviously humor and calm episodes are very much needed and essential to get the story right, properly paced and balanced, but Super skewed it too much into Reunion Special territory with little drama, tension or stakes, relegating multiple characters to nothing but comedic relief etc.