"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:42 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:Even if they got rid of all the balls, we know who makes it at the end. Tension and life/death suspense is dead. There's nothing to get invested in as we've seen everyone make it at the end of the series. I guess maybe Future Bulma/Mai/Trunks might be the only maybes, but even then I'm sure they'd be saved somehow. Death as Tenshinhan said in TFS, is utterly meaningless. It's just a little revolving door where you spend a little time either with Kaio or in lovely heaven, then come back refreshed. Death is like a spa treatment.

Seriously it's like how X-Men Apacalypse had no real stakes because we saw everyone in the future was alive again in Days of Future Past. So no one important was gonna die.
You can have compelling and interesting storytelling without having "tension" or things at "stake".
Of course you can, when a show is a comedy or it's not about killing/destroying. Hence the U6 arc took that to it's advantage. It wasn't about surviving, it was about winning a tournament. Goku could feasibly lose, and did. Here we know nobody can die, nobody can disappear, and so there's no tension. Seriously the whole time Freeza was fighting and trying to kill anyone, I could only groan. Big deal, they have unlimited do overs, and Beerus will kill you anyways since he doesn't like you. Tension, dead. This arc is about drama, and there can't really be any drama, without a real threat, and there can't be a real threat, with such overwhelming odds in our heroes favor.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

King Jacku
Beyond Newbie

Post by King Jacku » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:24 am

It's already been confirmed that Beerus and Whis are gonna play a role, so unless Goku Black is somehow stronger than them, I'm guessing there isn't going to be THAT much tension. Oh yeah and Zeno is there, GG.

On a completely different note, I find it hilarious Mai is holding a shotgun, like what is she gonna kill? A wild deer? She can't even take a Saibaman lol.

kidhero1000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kidhero1000 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:32 am

King Jacku wrote:It's already been confirmed that Beerus and Whis are gonna play a role, so unless Goku Black is somehow stronger than them, I'm guessing there isn't going to be THAT much tension. Oh yeah and Zeno is there, GG.

On a completely different note, I find it hilarious Mai is holding a shotgun, like what is she gonna kill? A wild deer? She can't even take a Saibaman lol.
Her Sawed off has special rounds
He devolved into saying only one word. Time to hit the ol' cosmic trail.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:21 am

Look like toonami India just confirmed that they'll air DBS next month on TV.
http://www.dragonballinsider.com/2016/0 ... ext-month/

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:29 am

kinisking wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:For the record, death is not treated like a joke within the series itself. As mentioned, in comics, it means little there too from a reader's perspective, but that does not mean the characters in the stories don't try to prevent it. That struggle to overcome the odds and become stronger to prevent death creates stakes and tension. So yeah, the notion of death is important in Dragon Ball.

If I mentioned the Super Dragon Balls, it wasn't because they can be used to revive people. It's because they are limitless. Evil threat actually stronger than most of the gods? Just wish it away.
Going to have to find them before that threat kills you though.
Not to mention the Super Dragon Balls were scattered for two entire universes and Champa said he took decades to find six.
Seriously, he sounds like the SDBs are standing on the Capsule Corp's garden, waiting to be used.

And i don't remember the characters treating any death in Super as a joke. In fact, when Freeza exploded Earth they took it more heavily than in the movie.

Sonicjamareiz
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sonicjamareiz » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:58 am

Sodhi wrote:Look like toonami India just confirmed that they'll air DBS next month on TV.
http://www.dragonballinsider.com/2016/0 ... ext-month/
Jeez next month that fast :shock:
Purple Cum Monster Vegeta arc :sick:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:09 am

Araki wrote:
kinisking wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:For the record, death is not treated like a joke within the series itself. As mentioned, in comics, it means little there too from a reader's perspective, but that does not mean the characters in the stories don't try to prevent it. That struggle to overcome the odds and become stronger to prevent death creates stakes and tension. So yeah, the notion of death is important in Dragon Ball.

If I mentioned the Super Dragon Balls, it wasn't because they can be used to revive people. It's because they are limitless. Evil threat actually stronger than most of the gods? Just wish it away.
Going to have to find them before that threat kills you though.
Not to mention the Super Dragon Balls were scattered for two entire universes and Champa said he took decades to find six.
Seriously, he sounds like the SDBs are standing on the Capsule Corp's garden, waiting to be used.

And i don't remember the characters treating any death in Super as a joke. In fact, when Freeza exploded Earth they took it more heavily than in the movie.
I honestly think it's the fans pushing their feelings into the characters of the show. I remember in Resurrection 'F', people were asked why everyone was sad when the Earth exploded. After all, they can just wish everyone back. Even if that was true, their love ones were just murdered, with Gohan's baby girl being killed. That's not to be taking lightly, even if you can bring them back, especially when the outcome was completely avoided.

Another one is Piccolo's death in Super. Say it wasn't treated as a big deal, but it was. Gohan was literally in tears and blamed himself for being weak, and Piccolo dying is the reason why he's training again. Goku was also highly upset and gave death glares at Freeza, and Denda was sobbing over Piccolo's body. It was only after Freeza was dealt with and Goku left for Namek that Piccolo's death was treated lightly.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:17 am

<.< >.>

I never said deaths are treated as a joke in Super.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

kidhero1000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kidhero1000 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:28 am

The smallest things upset people.
He devolved into saying only one word. Time to hit the ol' cosmic trail.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:31 am

kidhero1000 wrote:The smallest things upset people.
Welcome to the internet. Where having any sort of issue with something someone else likes means you deserve to be put on the cross. Where something you like apparently is treated like a living being and needs a bunch of knights to protect it's feelings. Where if they don't like something, then it's perfectly ok to talk as much shit, and be as negative as you want.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Paper Lung

Post by Paper Lung » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:50 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:
Nekis13 wrote:
SaiyaSith wrote:Some people are being dumb about Trunks hair. If kid Trunks has purple hair, it's obvious that his hair gets blue with age...
Also didn't Bulma's hair shift from Purple to Blue in the Manga? Hell. That's the perfect evidence right there.
Bulma hair was always purple in the manga. Just like Trunks and Bra.
Toei could have given blue hair to Trunks in the beginning, since he reveals to be her son shortly after his debut, but they didn't.
There's no reason to change it now. We have Purple hair Trunks everywhere.
Ugh. Future Trunks' hair is bugging the hell out of me. Like you said, there's NO good reason to change it now.

Future Trunks' hair was purple in Z. Future Trunks' hair was purple in the video games (including Xenoverse, which he plays a big role in). And Kid Trunks' hair is purple in Super.

Just...what the hell, Toei? Way to create unnecessary confusion. You just don't go and recolor such an iconic character's hair this late into the game. And to such a similar color to that of Super Saiyan Blue as well. Just a mess all around.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:56 am

Paper Lung wrote: Ugh. Future Trunks' hair is bugging the hell out of me. Like you said, there's NO good reason to change it now.

Future Trunks' hair was purple in Z. Future Trunks' hair was purple in the video games (including Xenoverse, which he plays a big role in). And Kid Trunks' hair is purple in Super.

Just...what the hell, Toei? Way to create unnecessary confusion. You just don't go and recolor such an iconic character's hair this late into the game. And to such a similar color to that of Super Saiyan Blue as well. Just a mess all around.
Trunks' hair turns blue in his 30's. The Trunks in Xenoverse must be our kid Trunks. Then when kid Trunks gets older, his hair will turn blue too.

Paper Lung

Post by Paper Lung » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:03 am

SaiyaSith wrote:
Paper Lung wrote: Ugh. Future Trunks' hair is bugging the hell out of me. Like you said, there's NO good reason to change it now.

Trunks' hair turns blue in his 30's. The Trunks in Xenoverse must be our kid Trunks. Then when kid Trunks gets older, his hair will turn blue too.
No. Just stop. Image

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:08 am

Paper Lung wrote: No. Just stop. Image
Oh you're right, what am I saying?...

TRUNKS DIED HIZ HAIR BLU! DURRR

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:11 am

SaiyaSith wrote:Oh you're right, what am I saying?...

TRUNKS DIED HIZ HAIR BLU! DURRR
No need to play sarcasm, what you said isn't right. Dragon Ball Online/Xenoverse outright state that Time Patrol Trunks IS Future Trunks since HE went back in time, NOT Present Trunks, who doesn't have anything to do with time.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:13 am

SaiyaSith wrote:

Dr Brief's hair is blue, and Bulma's hair changed from green/purple to blue. In my new headcanon, the Brief family doesn't get grey hair when they get old, they get blue hair.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Paper Lung

Post by Paper Lung » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:22 am

Sandubadear wrote:
SaiyaSith wrote:

Dr Brief's hair is blue, and Bulma's hair changed from green/purple to blue. In my new headcanon, the Brief family doesn't get grey hair when they get old, they get blue hair.
Except Bulma's hair color has always been blue according to Dragon Ball Super.

I'm sorry, but there is no good reason for the hair color change. Maybe Toriyama yelled at Toei for it to be blue.

Yamamuro: Hello Mr. Toriyama, thanks for the concept art! It's looks great!

Toriyama: No problem.

Yamamuro: Yeah, yeah. So...just one thing, haha. It's the hair. It's blue, I noticed.

Toriyama: Yeah.

Yamamuro: Haha, it's just... Well, you see, Trunks' hair is supposed to be pur--

Toriyama: It's blue.

Yamamuro: What?

Toriyama: His hair is blue.

Yamamuro: B-But his hair has always been purple, Mr. Toriyama...?

Toriyama: Yeah. But it's blue now, see? *points to his drawing*

Yamamuro: Oh... I see... Well, it's just that Trunks' hair has always been colored purple in the anime, video games, merchandise, ect. It wouldn't make much sen--

Toriyama: Listen here, pal! When I say his hair is blue, I mean it! When I wake up Sunday morning on June 12th, his hair better be fucking blue! Got it?!

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:39 am

You know, about the stuff that TOEI revealed not too long ago. I think it should be "Future Bulma resolves to ask help from Gohan and Vegeta in the world of the past". Instead of Goku and Vegeta because.

1. The last thing Future Bulma knew about Present Goku was that he died.
2. Gohan was the strongest fighter around back when Trunks went to the past before. And Trunks told her that Gohan was the one who killed Cell.

CrimsonYouth

Post by CrimsonYouth » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:18 am

As far as I know the hair color of Bulma always has been different in the anime since the beginning of Dragon Ball. In DB and DBZ was turquoise, while in the manga it always has been purple. Now in super, for some reason, is blue, but I really think that is nothing special, just aesthetics.

On the contrary, I think that with Mirai Trunks it's very intentenional and not just coincidence or an error. If it were the case that they wanted to change the hair color of Trunks, they would have done it with the character in all its different representations, both Kid Trunks and Mirai Trunks would have had the same change of hair color from the start, just like they did with Bulma (both Past Bulma and Mirai Bulma have the same hair color).

So it's pretty obvious that the new hair color of Trunks is not just arbitrary and maybe it's part of the storyline, or at least it has a good reason behind.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:39 am

Khin wrote:You know, about the stuff that TOEI revealed not too long ago. I think it should be "Future Bulma resolves to ask help from Gohan and Vegeta in the world of the past". Instead of Goku and Vegeta because.

1. The last thing Future Bulma knew about Present Goku was that he died.
2. Gohan was the strongest fighter around back when Trunks went to the past before. And Trunks told her that Gohan was the one who killed Cell.
If they don't explain why she brings up Goku instead and if Trunks isn't surprised to see him then those will be 2 very major plot holes.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.