"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:02 pm

Nothing's confirmed because there's no summaries this month. :(
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:09 pm

Well if Nozawa is voicing Black Goku I am very interested to see how she will do it. She has awesome talent being able to effectively use a same voice for 5 characters and each are similer they all have the their own flavor unique to them. In some ways Sabat reminds me of her in terms of voice acting.

Also I look forward to seeing Schemmel's performance as Black Goku if Funni get the dub.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:11 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:Also I look forward to seeing Schemmel's performance as Black Goku if Funni get the dub.
Wasn't there reports that said Schemmel actually liked the concept of an Evil Goku? I could've sworn I heard about it somewhere.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:22 pm

I remember it being something he said he wished he could voice. I don't know where I read it though. I imagine he'll be excited to voice Gokû Black whenever the dub happens.

I still wonder why they didn't have him voice Turles.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:35 pm

Since I believe that this black entity shown in the preview will most likely possess Goku, I was sort of expecting him to have Black's voice as opposed to Goku's voice but sinister. Similar to what Ginyu had done.

Though I do love Nozawa's portrayal as wicked characters, it would be another Tullece - just slap some Saiyan armor and a scouter on, and boom. But, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:44 pm

I think Goku Black will be better than Tullece. Tullece always a boring character with not much personality to me. He was just another generic bad guy that comes to Earth and plans to destroy it. I hope Goku Black is more than just that.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:46 pm

Damn, no spoilers this month? :?

I like knowing what's going to happen in advance because waiting one week for each episode is too long :lol:
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:51 pm

I'm so disappointed there's no summaries this month. They were my last hope for spoilers now that the manga is far behind the anime.

Re: Gokû Black
I'm so anxious about his back story. I feel like he'll definitely be more complex than Turles; or at least more unstable than him.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:54 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I think Goku Black will be better than Tullece. Tullece always a boring character with not much personality to me. He was just another generic bad guy that comes to Earth and plans to destroy it. I hope Goku Black is more than just that.
I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I, personally, would like to have a plausible explanation as to why the antagonist does what he does for the first time in Dragon Ball history. Not the usual, "I do such and such because I have a thing for destruction!" - that had always been incredibly boring to me.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:21 pm

ryou766 wrote: I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I, personally, would like to have a plausible explanation as to why the antagonist does what he does for the first time in Dragon Ball history. Not the usual, "I do such and such because I have a thing for destruction!" - that had always been incredibly boring to me.
You mean like someone who wants the Dragon Balls for immortality? lol

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:21 pm

SaiyaSith wrote:
ryou766 wrote: I wouldn't get my hopes up.

You mean like someone who wants the Dragon Balls for immortality? lol
Don't even go there.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:29 pm

Well Turles is basically Kakarot, a generic grunt saiyan. All arrogance and we are a warrior race when the odds are in his favour yet is a piss-pants coward who bolts the the moment things aren't going his way. He also dosen't seem to have any of Goku hard working mentality as its hinted that all his power comes from the fruit from the tree of might. Without it he would likely be weaker then Raditz.

I'm hoping that Black Goku is a version of Goku, not Kakarot, who loves to kill as others have suggested.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:35 pm

As much as I'm still bummed for lack of spoilers, if Super can give me similar surprises the way today's Jojo's episode did and has the past several episodes (haven't read the manga, following anime only), I'm ok with temporarily going spoiler free.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:13 pm

Chuquita wrote:As much as I'm still bummed for lack of spoilers, if Super can give me similar surprises the way today's Jojo's episode did and has the past several episodes (haven't read the manga, following anime only), I'm ok with temporarily going spoiler free.
Speaking of (off topic) I need to catch up on Diamond is Unbreakable, I watched the first like five episodes but just haven't kept up because of some personal things happening in my life.
I'm not doing anything today, might as well pass the time with some JoJo.
Last edited by ArchedThunder on Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:17 pm

Darkblade1995 wrote:Was it confirmed that it is Future Goku who becomes evil? Because I thought that it might be possible that Black merges/fuses with present Goku, probably making Vegeta and Trunks the protagonists of this arc.
Yeah, one of the summaries (I think the Tv Fuji one) mentions that when Trunks confronts Black he notices that he looks like Goku.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:25 pm

Neon Z wrote:
Darkblade1995 wrote:Was it confirmed that it is Future Goku who becomes evil? Because I thought that it might be possible that Black merges/fuses with present Goku, probably making Vegeta and Trunks the protagonists of this arc.
Yeah, one of the summaries (I think the Tv Fuji one) mentions that when Trunks confronts Black he notices that he looks like Goku.
The erratic way he moves in the preview; maybe Gokû Black didn't want to be identified.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:33 pm

ryou766 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I think Goku Black will be better than Tullece. Tullece always a boring character with not much personality to me. He was just another generic bad guy that comes to Earth and plans to destroy it. I hope Goku Black is more than just that.
I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Pilaf wanted to be king, Red wanted to be taller, oolong wanted chicks, the saiyans wanted dragonballs and goku, Freeza wanted money and immortality, Cell wanted a challenge and perfection, Beerus wanted a challenge. It's very rare for a dragonball villian to only want destruction.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:22 pm

Neon Z wrote:
I thought that at first, too, but looking back at the producer's comments, this is what he said:
This “Future” Trunks arc that’s about to begin will feel a little different than Dragon Ball Super has up to now: a severe battle surpassing time and space, and putting the entire universe at risk! Following on from Majin Boo and Freeza, this time Goku and the gang’s enemy is… Goku?
This one didn't specify Black looking like Gokuu was happening in the future (unless that's not the quote you were thinking of). The other summary only refers to the character as "Black" when talking about how he confronts Trunks and Bulma in the future, and doesn't mention what he looks like. So I think at this point it's not clear whether Black has already taken on Gokuu's appearance in the future timeline, of if that happens later (but I could be wrong, if there's some other description that clarified this).
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:48 pm

kinisking wrote:Olong wanted chicks
Save the fact that I'm only counting DBZ antagonists, Oolong shouldn't even be considered a threatening antagonist to begin with.
kinisking wrote:he saiyans wanted dragonballs and goku
As I recall, the only Saiyan that wanted Goku to join them was Raditz. Vegeta only recommended recruitment for Goku after he witnessed him defeating Nappa with ease. That, and he was short on men, anyways. Nevertheless, Saiyan's favored in destruction and chaos.
kinisking wrote:Freeza wanted money and immortality Cell wanted a challenge and perfection
Freeza was the self-proclaimed ruler of the universe. He got his lulz off of the pain and misery of others. We've never got a distinctive answer as to why Freeza did what he did other than, "I'm the strongest, so therefore, I can." Cell was different from Freeza, since he was basically created to cause destruction. He desired a challenge, yes - but as soon as he got one, he attempted to rage quit the battle by blowing himself up along with Earth and his enemies.
kinisking wrote:Beerus wanted a challenge.
Beerus' job IS destruction, albeit not senseless (at tmes) - and I'm still not fond of the concept of his character.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:17 pm

-Trunks voice actor interview-
Good interview!
Also, since kid Trunks is still just a boy, I thought it’d be good to also portray him as growing up bit by bit. Well, I guess I’ve given the game away (laughs).
I like it. This arc could perfectly give some character development to Kid Trunks. Poor Goten.

-Nozawa voices Black Goku-

How predictable. Called it and I can't get behind this idea. Didn't make sense with Bardock, didn't make sense wth Turles, and probably won't make sense with Black Goku either.
This could be a good chance to find another voice actor that can voice Goku. Nozawa is already 79 years old and there's no point in overwork her.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.