"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:28 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:SSGSS in their BoG clothes look FAR worse than SS in the "F" clothes ever could. That doesn't mean that people can't like or dislike whatever combination, taste is subjective. But from a purely design aesthetic aspect, in terms of color theory and balance?No, the BoG SSGSS combos are not good designs.
We haven't seen Vegeta yet, but Goku looks fine.
Ajay wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:But from a purely design aesthetic aspect, in terms of color theory and balance?No, the BoG SSGSS combos are not good designs.
Definitely agree. Those tones just do not compliment each other whatsoever.

I'd be interested to see how they match with the End of Z outfits, though. I think the blues on Goku could potentially combine quite nicely.

FTW395
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FTW395 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:30 am

Ajay wrote: I fully acknowledge this is all nitpicking about things that don't matter that much, but it's a recurring issue with a large majority of Dragon Ball's art these days. My issue is that it just isn't dynamic or expressive. They look like posed action figures.

This all looks very dynamic. You can see the movement even if the characters themselves aren't looking all too expressive. Hopefully comparing the two will help you see the difference?
Hmm yeah the dragonball poster is way less generic and boring, still it isn't something that would kill my hype for the new arc :D

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:31 am

Hope Goku gets a green/yellow outfit when he reaches SSGSS2 aka as possibly SSJ White
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

FTW395
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FTW395 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:32 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:SSGSS in their BoG clothes look FAR worse than SS in the "F" clothes ever could. That doesn't mean that people can't like or dislike whatever combination, taste is subjective. But from a purely design aesthetic aspect, in terms of color theory and balance?No, the BoG SSGSS combos are not good designs.
We haven't seen Vegeta yet, but Goku looks fine.
Ajay wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:But from a purely design aesthetic aspect, in terms of color theory and balance?No, the BoG SSGSS combos are not good designs.
Definitely agree. Those tones just do not compliment each other whatsoever.

I'd be interested to see how they match with the End of Z outfits, though. I think the blues on Goku could potentially combine quite nicely.
What episode is this from?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:33 am

FTW395 wrote:
What episode is this from?
Both of what I spoilered are from episode 46.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:34 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
sintzu wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:You meant to stay that according to you it is not important because it does not have Vegeta in it.
How could you take that seriously ? I was obviously being sarcastic.
You are a Vegeta nutcase so my comment is probably 100% true anyway.
I've had my fan boy moments so I'm not necessarily judging you harshly for this but I think you're the biggest fan boy on here
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Nekis13
Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:42 am

Hey, at least you guys aren't the usual "muh badass ssj2 mystic gohan with god ki fuck you akira toriyama u hate g0hun" that we see in Youtube. :lol:
stay edgy

DeviantArt Thing: Drawings and stuff, also Dragon Ball

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:50 am

ArchedThunder wrote:We haven't seen Vegeta yet, but Goku looks fine.
Not really. The colors don't clash as bad as they could have, but that's still not a very good color balance. It gets even worse when he drops his aura and his hair turns teal instead and he loses the the extra blue hue that shifts the rest of the outfit.

Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:50 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
That's cool. If you make it more blue like they've been using more recently in the show, I think it works quite nicely, actually.

Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakarotto92 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:59 am

Still not sold on Black's outfit. Was expecting something a bit more original than just a recolour of Goku's classic gi with long sleeves. Beerus, Whis and Kabe's outfits are proof that modern Toriyama can still pull off original and interesting outfit designs so I don't know why he got so lazy with Goku Black (I do love the earring though).

Unless him wearing a "dark" version of Goku's gi indicates some plot-related meaning :think: I mean, these are typical earthling martial arts clothes; space pirates and Gods in DB have a completely different wardrobe, so it wouldn't be far-fetched to assume Goku Black was also raised on Earth like our Goku. I just hope it's not Bebi all over again and Goku's gi recolour is just a magic side effect of some possession.
Last edited by Kakarotto92 on Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FTW395
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FTW395 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:14 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote: Not really. The colors don't clash as bad as they could have, but that's still not a very good color balance. It gets even worse when he drops his aura and his hair turns teal instead and he loses the the extra blue hue that shifts the rest of the outfit.
Images like this make me realize that they really haven't improved since episode 5

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:22 pm

FTW395 wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote: Not really. The colors don't clash as bad as they could have, but that's still not a very good color balance. It gets even worse when he drops his aura and his hair turns teal instead and he loses the the extra blue hue that shifts the rest of the outfit.
Images like this make me realize that they really haven't improved since episode 5
The thing about this is, I didn't notice that picture during the fight.Every one could notice the bad art in episode 5 though. This isn't a manga, it's animation. It doesn't matter if the art is bad at times as long as it looks decent in motion. This episode looked much better in motion than episode 5. So they've definitely improved. Plus this episode was from a guy who basically solo's the episode. His episodes are never going to be on par with the others who have much more help. You simply can't look at every episode besides for 24-26 and say they haven't improved since episode 5
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:28 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:Oh look. It's purple haired Trunks again... Damn it, why do they keep flip flopping?
Can we give the whole hair complaining a rest already?

Anyways, it would be nice for Goku and Vegeta to wear their EoZ outfits, though I do honestly prefer their RoF ones.

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:32 pm

I think that this is definitely a marketing strategy. Putting their usual garments draw the attention of veterans in the franchise, but still, people are not getting well with this, including myself. :oops:
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:35 pm

I wouldn't feel so sad if I didn't like their F outfits so much more than their BOG ones.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakarotto92 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:38 pm

LightBing wrote:Assuming Mirai Trunks knows nothing of what's going on, we might not get Black Goku backstory until much later in the arc. Which would be fine, if we get some detective work going on.
Yeah, the tradition in DB has always been us getting all the info on a villain right off the bat as soon as he's introduced, would be refreshing if this time around they build up a bit of mystery around his backstory and only reveal it later on. It certainly would add more suspense and thrill to the arc.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:46 pm

YonedgeHP wrote:I think that this is definitely a marketing strategy. Putting their usual garments draw the attention of veterans in the franchise, but still, people are not getting well with this, including myself. :oops:
I'll agree that it's likely for the sole sake of merchandising; meaning that instead of having to spend time and money on creating new sculpts, they can produce more "new" merch by simply repainting old ones.

That, or it's the opposite side of the marketing spectrum and they want to once again draw too much on nostalgia of the Three Great Super Saiyans. So they tossed Goku and Vegeta back into more familiar dogi because of Trunks.

Or maybe both. Either way, I understand it, but it still rubs me the wrong way. These days, they're producing a lot of merch for game specific content. If they wanted these outfit and transformation combinations, just do it in Heroes or whatever.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

IGhostUlt
Beyond Newbie

Post by IGhostUlt » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:52 pm

FTW395 wrote:
This doesn't even look as bad as the ones from episode 5

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:59 pm

IGhostUlt wrote:This doesn't even look as bad as the ones from episode 5
This will never be let go, will it?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:05 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
YonedgeHP wrote:I think that this is definitely a marketing strategy. Putting their usual garments draw the attention of veterans in the franchise, but still, people are not getting well with this, including myself. :oops:
I'll agree that it's likely for the sole sake of merchandising; meaning that instead of having to spend time and money on creating new sculpts, they can produce more "new" merch by simply repainting old ones.

That, or it's the opposite side of the marketing spectrum and they want to once again draw too much on nostalgia of the Three Great Super Saiyans. So they tossed Goku and Vegeta back into more familiar dogi because of Trunks.

Or maybe both. Either way, I understand it, but it still rubs me the wrong way. These days, they're producing a lot of merch for game specific content. If they wanted these outfit and transformation combinations, just do it in Heroes or whatever.
I worry about something similar. I don't want to pull Heroes stuff in because it would feel too heavy handed marketing to me and take me out of the story.

I'm still gonna hope their F outfits come back. And if they don't it won't stop me from drawing them in those outfits.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!