*sigh* Can someone just like...give me their Dragon Boxes?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Forte224
Advanced Regular

*sigh* Can someone just like...give me their Dragon Boxes?

Post by Forte224 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:22 am

Ha, not serious of course (unless I mean...ya want to, of course :wink: ) but I check eBay on a regular basis for a reasonably priced (obviously this is subjective) set of the Dragon Boxes but it just a'int happening. Wish I would've gotten these when they were being released but I opted not to since I loved Faulconer at the time. Any chance we'll ever see a reprint of these? I'd pre order them as soon as possible if they were announced

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Re: *sigh* Can someone just like...give me their Dragon Boxe

Post by Nejishiki » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:06 am

I don't think they'll ever be reprinted but they tend to be put up on our member's market from time to time if you want to look out for that.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:33 am

The price for the Dragon Boxes AND Rock the Dragon sets are ridiculous to me. Thankfully I gobbled them up as they came out, but I never dreamed they'd be selling for so much.

The Dragon Boxes are all sold, but of I remember, there was mention that the sales didn't really reflect that it was worth it for them to release more. Maybe if it were shown to FUNimation that they can sell them if they do a re-release? Though at this point, I'm sure they're aware that people are sometimes willing to buy them at ridiculous prices. It's just that they moved on to different releases. Unfortunately, the "faces" of their Dragon Ball Z releases is the Season Sets for DVD Blu-ray. All of those other releases like Dragon Boxes and Rock the Dragon sets are their "special, limited edition" releases. Though I'm not sure that the Dragon Boxes were limited edition from the beginning, or if that was just their reaction to sales.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:12 am

Yeah it's disappointing. What's with DBZ and its unfortunate reputation of home releases? Level sets discontinued, Dragon Boxes out of print, but the Orange Bricks and Blu Rays are more than readily available. I get that the latter two cost less to make (at least I think) but I mean come on. Even in Japan with Yamamoto plagiarism in Kai meaning there's an inconsistent score when it comes to the home release of Kai. I mean, I love Kikuchi but not the way his music is used in Kai. Hardly any variety. And now it looks like Kai 2.0 will be 16:9 even on Blu Ray/DVD (Japan's fault this time) making it inconsistent with the rest of Kai. It's like we as the fans can never win.

Anyway, I'd even be happy with the Blu Rays if they were about the same as they are currently but just had the 4:3 format. But nope.

And yeah I'll keep an eye on the buy/sell thread but the DBoxes are still sold ridiculously high no matter where ya look. I get that that's what their value is, I just wish that weren't the case and they were more readily available

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:53 am

I saw some going for 80, 90, or the low to mid hundreds on Amazon but didn't care for them so I didn't buy them. What's so good about the Dragon boxes anyway ?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:55 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:What's so good about the Dragon boxes anyway ?
Original 4:3 aspect ratio, vastly different remastering process from what FUNimation did, higher quality Japanese audio track.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:05 am

VegettoEX wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:What's so good about the Dragon boxes anyway ?
Original 4:3 aspect ratio, vastly different remastering process from what FUNimation did, higher quality Japanese audio track.
Even beyond that, there's the much hardier casing, and the information book (don't really want to call it a booklet since it's a hardcover and a little thicker than 'booklets' tend to be) which has more information generally than the booklets the Season Sets came with that more or less just listed notable characters and had an episode guide.

I'm still disappointed that they ended up being as rare and pricey as they are now. I'd love to own the rest of them (as it stands I only have Boxes One and Five, and the latter of which was a gift as it is), but they've gotten far too rich for my blood. Hell, that's the whole reason I didn't get them as they were coming out - they were too rich for my blood at the time, considering it had only been a year, a little more give or take, since I'd finally been able to stop picking up the Season Sets as it was. Way too soon to double dip, though looking back now of course, I wish I had been able to.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:47 am

It just creates this entirely unnecessary divide of "Do you want your mass-market Japanese kids show with its proper aspect ratio and color palette? Ha ha, you care way too much!", which leaves the relative handful (which is the problem, sadly) of people that won't budge on the point without Dragon Ball Z. Vegetto's recent interview with Mr. Haskill makes it sound like that notion is not lost at FUNi, it was just drowned out by "But the Orange Bricks don't stop selling and other anime translators would kill for a product that consistent!"

Doing a second short print run with standard-packaging would help, but I would imagine that there are simply more people who want a Dragon Ball Z release that doesn't look terrible than what a "short print run" could cover.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:20 pm

I feel like the die-hard fan base is the one who really cares so much about it being as close to the original as possible. How many fans even watch it illegally? For a casual fan that liked DBZ as a kid, sure, why not pick up the $35 DVD as opposed to $70 (the Dragon Boxes' original price). I think that's why they keep selling so strongly. I'm pretty sure their train of thought is "The die-hard fans who give a shit would've already bought the Dragon Boxes."

I don't think that they'll ever put any work into the series because they've been to that well way too many times. The singles, the Season Sets, the Dragon Boxes, the Rock the Dragon set (not to mention the original Ocean dub singles), the Level Sets, the Season Set Blu-rays; I don't think they'll go back to that well again, especially since they have new material to exploit/explore. If they put out another Z set in a few years, I picture it being a repackaged Season Set release.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:07 pm

You are certainly not wrong in claiming that Dragon Ball Z is over-saturated, though I think new Dragon Boxes could skirt that by being a rerelease of an existing product.

The first boxes were the super collectors editions that probably barely retailed because they went for an arm and a leg, but something like this:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2-Ol ... xwaElYRC1V

could be more palatable, and certainly cheap. FUNi eventually stripped the Season Sets of their few bells and whistles too.

That lack of retail presence would be the driving nail, though; FUNi didn't release the DBoxes as impulse buys, but for people who knew what they were going in (I myself only through the internet grapevine, the announcement brought me a to DaizEx in the first place after a chance encounter in 2010, so I feel I owe the "true" fans a lot!), and would inevitably buy them for half prince on Amazon. FUNi never catered to those types of Dragon Ball fans before aside from eventually including the Japanese voice track; no need when they can buy your stuff just the same.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:16 pm

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2-Ol ... xwaElYRC1V

I'd buy those in a hurry. As much as I love how the DBoxes look and their extras

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:09 pm

I'm surprised they haven't done a 2nd release, especially with the high demand cause you'd think they'd want the $$$.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:31 pm

I know the Dragon Boxes are wanted as much if not more as a Kanzenban English manga release. The manga's just like the anime, we want Dragon Boxes, they give us dvd sets, we want Kanzenban, we get the digest edition. The Kanzenban and the Dragon Boxes are literally the pinnacle of the franchise and a must have for any collector which scarcity drives up the price. If you have these 2 things, why would you want anything else? They are perfect releases. I think Toei, Shueisha, VIZ and Funimation all know this. They probably plan to release these again one day, but they are going to milk the hell out of it every single way they can until they have nothing left but to release the Dragon Boxes/English Kanzenban. Examples: (Digest edition, level sets) Basically what I'm trying to say is, they'll release those when they are done with the "Z" portion's home media releases (Until something beyond Blu-Ray comes out) Though Super going world-wide could influence the company's to cap off DBZ and release these things sooner. That's my opinion on the whole deal. :)

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:36 pm

sintzu wrote:I'm surprised they haven't done a 2nd release, especially with the high demand cause you'd think they'd want the $$$.
The thing is, I have a hunch that high demand is actually just loud demand. In other words, the people like myself that want them are very vocal about it, but that's not to be confused with the number of people that want them which probably isn't enough for Funi to consider a re-release. It just seems like high demand since the few that want them realllllly want them.

Sadly like others have said I'm pretty sure a re-release won't happen. There's been so many releases of DBZ at this point that I think it would just be too much for the average consumer to take in. I'm still hopeful though. If they did do a DBox re-release or a DBox Blu Ray they'd have to yet again be limited and advertised as such I'd think

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:39 pm

Forte224 wrote:
sintzu wrote:I'm surprised they haven't done a 2nd release, especially with the high demand cause you'd think they'd want the $$$.
The thing is, I have a hunch that high demand is actually just loud demand. In other words, the people like myself that want them are very vocal about it, but that's not to be confused with the number of people that want them which probably isn't enough for Funi to consider a re-release. It just seems like high demand since the few that want them realllllly want them.

Sadly like others have said I'm pretty sure a re-release won't happen. There's been so many releases of DBZ at this point that I think it would just be too much for the average consumer to take in. I'm still hopeful though. If they did do a DBox re-release or a DBox Blu Ray they'd have to yet again be limited and advertised as such I'd think
I honestly think that if they did release the DBox again, it would be different from the originals and they'd shoot their selves in the foot.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:56 pm

Xeztin wrote:
Forte224 wrote:

I honestly think that if they did release the DBox again, it would be different from the originals and they'd shoot their selves in the foot.
What do you mean different from the originals? Like you think they'd mess with it instead of just doing a straight re-release?

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:04 pm

Exactly like they might try to do yet another "restoration" or stick it on Blu-Ray, or change the screen resolutions, etc. and call it the new and improved Dbox release. That's what I fear.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:16 pm

Xeztin wrote:Exactly like they might try to do yet another "restoration" or stick it on Blu-Ray, or change the screen resolutions, etc. and call it the new and improved Dbox release. That's what I fear.
I dunno. I think if they re-released the DBoxes which they'd only do to please the hardcore fans, then they wouldn't go and change it, therefore upsetting the hardcore fans. They might as well just keep advertising the current Blu Rays at the point

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:26 pm

I remember owning both Dragon Box Vol. 1 and 2 before discovering that they, particularly Vol 2. at the time, costed as much as they did on eBay.

gogeta97
Beyond Newbie

Post by gogeta97 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:45 pm

VegettoEX wrote:higher quality Japanese audio track.

Is that true? I know they're better then the Orange Bricks, but I've heard Funimation's Blu-rays have the best audio on any official release so far.
fadeddreams5 wrote:At this point, that time machine is symbolic to how fans feel about Super. We hope it gets better, but ultimately find ourselves going back in time to a better series.