DBZ Ocean DUB Freeza Saga

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Geekdom101
Regular

DBZ Ocean DUB Freeza Saga

Post by Geekdom101 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:06 am

I know that they skipped the entire Freeza arc for the Ocean Dub of DBZ and hopped from episode 54/68 to 122. Does ANYBODY know WHY? Like what was the reason that they skipped the Freeza arc?

Also, I watched the Other World Tournament Ocean Dub and its DOES NOT SOUND like Pauline Newstone voicing Freeza. Did something happen contractually? Anybody know?
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Re: DBZ Ocean DUB Freeza Saga

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:53 am

Well, I don't know for certain, but I think it may have just been that they took a while to decide that this dub should exist, and when they did they just picked up wherever the show last left off. I don't recall why it exists, tho. It aired in both the UK and Ireland and probably also the Netherlands long before Canada, so it clearly had nothing to do with the CanCon (Canadian Content) rule-thing.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:16 am

Ocean originally stopped at episode 53 because Funimation were the ones producing the dub at the time, and basically got their own cast to dub the show from that point onward to cut costs. The early Ocean dub is often called "The Saban dub" due to the fact that Saban were involved in the production as well as Funimation. The later Ocean dub starting from Episode 108 "Goku's Special Technique" was produced by AB Groupe who owned the distribution rights in the UK, and had nothing to do with Funimation (although they got to use Funimation's video and a very similar script). This is often called "The Westwood dub".

I'm pretty sure the reason it was made was due to some sort of licensing issue between Cartoon Network UK and Funimation. There's actually an interview with Ian Corlett somewhere on this site where he mentions "an entanglement of rights".

By the time all this happened Cartoon Network UK had already aired the Ginyu, Frieza, Garlic Jr, and Trunks sagas in Funimation's dub, and had rerun them plenty of times too. I think all AB Groupe wanted to do was continue with the series while getting around the licensing problems. In other words, just as Funimation's dub was supposed to be seen as a simple continuation of the Saban dub, the Westwood dub was supposed to be seen as a simple continuation of everything that had aired up to that point. Over the years whenever the series was rerun in the UK, it would always go from the Saban dub, to the Funimation inhouse dub, to the Westwood dub. It was all basically supposed to be just one show despite having 3 different dubs.

As for the reason why the Westwood dub was lower quality than the Saban dub, it's often been attributed to a rushed production schedule and possibly a low budget. Apparently Scott McNeil once said that they went through about 9 different voice directors. And it's also worth noting that while the Saban dub had a score composed just for DBZ, the Westwood dub used music recycled from the Megaman cartoon and other shows that Ocean had worked on. This score was one of the main reasons I never liked the Westwood dub that much, due to it sounding out of place and being very repetitive.

But the quality of the Westwood dub did eventually improve considerably around the Fusion and Kid Buu sagas, where lots of additional music was finally added that seemed to fit much better.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:09 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:Well, I don't know for certain, but I think it may have just been that they took a while to decide that this dub should exist, and when they did they just picked up wherever the show last left off. I don't recall why it exists, tho. It aired in both the UK and Ireland and probably also the Netherlands long before Canada, so it clearly had nothing to do with the CanCon (Canadian Content) rule-thing.
Do you have any dates?

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:04 pm

Pauline Newstone did sound a little different but it was definitely still her in the Westwood dub. It's not uncommon for voice actors to gradually alter the voice of a character they're playing to suit them better, though the changing of directors might have also been a factor.

AB Group were the ones who revived the Ocean dub for TV in the UK and Canada. They most likely didn't see any point in dubbing episodes 54-107 because 1) Funimation's in-house dub of those episodes had already aired and 2) the dub was made for TV and would never see a home release. At the time, the Ocean cast were already being overworked to keep up with Cartoon Network's demand for new episodes as well as Funimation's version, they wouldn't have had time to dub episodes 54-107 anyway.

Once the Z dub concluded the Ocean cast were replaced by the Blue Water cast who went on to dub GT and DB, this was probably AB Group cutting costs (as was the case with the Big Green dubs that followed) but we don't really know for sure what happened.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:32 am

And thats the thing, I REALLY want to know what happened.

But thanks for a lot of this information. I knew some of it but what was stated about the dubbing of the Freeza saga makes more sense. I thought maybe Pauline quit or something so this is good to know.

Another question - does anybody have a list of which countries/markets aired the Big Green Dub vs. The AB/Ocean? Cause both are in the UK.
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:09 am

From what I remember, the AB/Ocean/Westwood dub was aired in UK, Netherlands, and of course, Canada.
And about the Big Green Dub, besides UK...no idea. :?

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:03 am

It surely aired in the Netherlands. It was even sold on DVD there.
Pokewhiz7 wrote:Do you have any dates?
I don't have any specific dates. I just know that Canada didn't get the "Westwood dub" or whatever till a later episode, and I forget which episode that is. I know people on this forum have told me exactly when in one topic or another. It was like 20 or so more episodes of Funimation before Canada got the switch.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Marugoto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marugoto » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:41 am

Big Green dub never aired on television in the Netherlands (afaik) but DBZ Movies 1-9 and the Bardock and Trunks specials got VHS and DVD releases over there.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:21 pm

This is the closest we'll get if Kai never shows up :/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uojpZcy1_cA