The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Analytic
Beyond Newbie

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by Analytic » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:27 pm

When the SEG says that Super Saiyan multiplies battle power by 50x, is it only referring to Goku? Or just Saiyans in general?

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:58 pm

Request the panel where Cell says the present android remote no longer exists, something he shouldn't be able to know... Wondering if this got vizzed up....

After he runs like a coward from Kamiccolo.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Snow_Lilies

Post by Snow_Lilies » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:11 pm

TobyS wrote:Request the panel where Cell says the present android remote no longer exists, something he shouldn't be able to know... Wondering if this got vizzed up....

After he runs like a coward from Kamiccolo.
On mobile at the moment. Will follow up with proper details within the hour but this line is in the original (or at least the kanzenban I'm referencing) where Cell identifies it as the number 1 thing that could go wrong as the Androids will be unable to defend themselves once rendered immobile. He notes that it has already been destroyed.

The only controller we've seen at that point is the one that 17 steals from Gero and crushes which, as you've pointed out, he shouldn't have direct knowledge of. It's possible that he "witnessed" a similar scene in his creation chamber back in his own timeline and assumed the same thing happened here. I'll look more into it and see if we missed something.

Edit: So we have...

Cell: いちばん恐れていたのは17号たちを停止させるコントローラーの存在だ。
動けなくなってはさすがの17号たちといえどあいつらが破壊するのは簡単からな...
だがさいわいそのコントローラーももはや存在しない。

ichiban osoreteita no wa 17gou-tachi wo teishi saseru kontorooraa no sonzai da.
ugokenakunatte wa sasuga no 17gou-tachi to iedo aitura ga hakaisuru no ha kantan kara na...
daga saiwai sono kontorooraa mo mohaya sonzaishinai.

The greatest fear was the existence of the controller that could suspend disable No. 17 and them (including No. 18 in this grouping).
If they were unable to move, even with No 17. and them being what they are, it would be a simple matter for those guys (Piccolo, etc.) to destroy them.
But fortunately, that controller no longer exists.

Hope that was able to help. If anyone has any critique of this breakdown or analysis, feel free to let me know!

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:35 pm

I was hoping if I could get clarification regarding an interview translated in the main site, this one: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... agon-ball/

Specifically this part: "Only, at the time, it was considered that his strength would increase 50-fold when he became a Super Saiyan, but that was a bit of an exaggeration. My feeling as the creator is that, while drawing it, I felt that it was about a 10-fold change from what it was up to that point."

Why is the word change used instead of increase? Is there some type of duality in Japanese that makes it open for interpretation, if change is a multiplication, subtraction or addition? Or does it have to be a multiplication because of the 10-fold part?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:02 am

Could someone post the translations of the extra pages that each chapter has in Dragon Ball Super Volume 1? Herms had translated them in his twitter page, but it was so long ago that I can't find them.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Saiyan Soul

Post by Saiyan Soul » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:14 am

Would it be possible to get this translated? a user on another site said that some of the promotional material for the lord Slug movie said that Goku went x100 kaioken and the wiki actually has a mention of this. Would be much appreciated if you could clarify this ^^

"It will take more than head games to stop me! You may have invaded my mind and my body, but there's one thing a Saiyan always keeps...HIS PRIDE!"

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:02 am

According to Herms, this is all what the horizontal text says. I'm not so sure if it's the same scan without pictures, but it's likely.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:10 pm

Nejishiki wrote:According to Herms, this is all what the horizontal text says. I'm not so sure if it's the same scan without pictures, but it's likely.
It is.

The digest of the movie has Goku yelling "Kaioken Times 100" when he attacks Slug as well, whereas the actual movie itself just has him say "Kaioken". It's presumably something that got taken out of the movie at the last possible second, after the line was actually recorded (most likely because it makes tremendously little sense).
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Saiyan Soul

Post by Saiyan Soul » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:13 pm

Nejishiki wrote:According to Herms, this is all what the horizontal text says. I'm not so sure if it's the same scan without pictures, but it's likely.
Much appreciated, thank you! ^^
"It will take more than head games to stop me! You may have invaded my mind and my body, but there's one thing a Saiyan always keeps...HIS PRIDE!"

Saiyan Soul

Post by Saiyan Soul » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:14 pm

Adamant wrote:
It is.

The digest of the movie has Goku yelling "Kaioken Times 100" when he attacks Slug as well, whereas the actual movie itself just has him say "Kaioken". It's presumably something that got taken out of the movie at the last possible second, after the line was actually recorded (most likely because it makes tremendously little sense).

Thanks a lot! really appreciate it!

Snow_Lilies

Post by Snow_Lilies » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:44 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Could someone post the translations of the extra pages that each chapter has in Dragon Ball Super Volume 1? Herms had translated them in his twitter page, but it was so long ago that I can't find them.
So the first one here is Mr. Satan offering Vegeta a bag of money (much like he did Goku) as both a thank you for helping defeat Buu and a pseudo-bribe.

Mr. Satan: "For all your help/hard work..."
Vegeta: "I don't need it. This* will suffice."

(I'm assuming he's referring to the food he's eating. It may have been provided by Mr. Satan.)

The next is Vegeta practicing his Bingo dance. I'm going to take a cue from Funi's BoG dub to help with this one.

Vegeta: "Bingo. Bingo. Fun-time Bingo!"

The next one I'm a little shaky on the grammar (so don't go sticking this in a wiki or anything. The nuance won't be there) but the general idea is that he's noting that he didn't get to do his dance in the manga.

Vegeta: "So there wasn't enought time to perform the Bingo dance, huh?"

Next we have Sorbet feeling down about how their arc wasn't included in the manga.

Sorbet: "We were skipped over..."

And after that we have Goku "remembering" an off-screen conversation with Beerus.

Goku: "Oh yeah, he did say something along those lines."

Beerus: "One thing I forgot to say was that you were the second strongest (opponent that I've ever fought). Later!"

I'd like to point out that the "Jyaa" that I translated as "Later", while informal, isn't as intimate as like a friend saying "Later". More it appears that Beerus is in a hurry, having taken off, remembering that he forgot to say something, came back quickly, said his bit and took off. In a meta sense, I interpret this to be Beerus coming back to mention an "important plot point" that was not covered initially in Goku's fight with Beerus in the manga yet was brought up abruptly later (unlike BoG where this conversation happened immediately after the fight). This is more like Toyotaro "covering" it here in a gag way on a throwaway page and saying "Yeah so this happened. Didn't realize it was going to be important. Oops." I found it humorous in this way anyhow.

The final one is Kuririn feeling somewhat relieved that Frost didn't utilize the "2nd form".

Kuririn: "It's good that he didn't use that transformation."

He probably had some feelings brought up about becoming a shish kabob in the Freeza arc and was glad to not see that form again.

That should be all of them. Again, if anyone has any part of this they'd like to challenge or add their two cents in, feel free to do so (especially on that Vegeta one).

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:13 pm

The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:42 pm

I believe it's just a pun based around his original battle power, in the same vein Nakao made the 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 and "nice guy" pun. The "man" in 530,000 switches to "oku" in 5,300,000,000 as Freeza announces his return in the ad. Somebody more experienced can correct that.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:51 pm

Nejishiki wrote:
I believe it's just a pun based around his original battle power, in the same vein Nakao made the 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 and "nice guy" pun. The "man" in 530,000 switches to "oku" in 5,300,000,000 as Freeza announces his return in the ad. Somebody more experienced can correct that.
They should know not to mess around when it comes to power levels in this fandom :)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:12 pm

Snow_Lilies wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Could someone post the translations of the extra pages that each chapter has in Dragon Ball Super Volume 1? Herms had translated them in his twitter page, but it was so long ago that I can't find them.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
So the first one here is Mr. Satan offering Vegeta a bag of money (much like he did Goku) as both a thank you for helping defeat Buu and a pseudo-bribe.

Mr. Satan: "For all your help/hard work..."
Vegeta: "I don't need it. This* will suffice."

(I'm assuming he's referring to the food he's eating. It may have been provided by Mr. Satan.)

The next is Vegeta practicing his Bingo dance. I'm going to take a cue from Funi's BoG dub to help with this one.

Vegeta: "Bingo. Bingo. Fun-time Bingo!"

The next one I'm a little shaky on the grammar (so don't go sticking this in a wiki or anything. The nuance won't be there) but the general idea is that he's noting that he didn't get to do his dance in the manga.

Vegeta: "So there wasn't enought time to perform the Bingo dance, huh?"

Next we have Sorbet feeling down about how their arc wasn't included in the manga.

Sorbet: "We were skipped over..."

And after that we have Goku "remembering" an off-screen conversation with Beerus.

Goku: "Oh yeah, he did say something along those lines."

Beerus: "One thing I forgot to say was that you were the second strongest (opponent that I've ever fought). Later!"

I'd like to point out that the "Jyaa" that I translated as "Later", while informal, isn't as intimate as like a friend saying "Later". More it appears that Beerus is in a hurry, having taken off, remembering that he forgot to say something, came back quickly, said his bit and took off. In a meta sense, I interpret this to be Beerus coming back to mention an "important plot point" that was not covered initially in Goku's fight with Beerus in the manga yet was brought up abruptly later (unlike BoG where this conversation happened immediately after the fight). This is more like Toyotaro "covering" it here in a gag way on a throwaway page and saying "Yeah so this happened. Didn't realize it was going to be important. Oops." I found it humorous in this way anyhow.

The final one is Kuririn feeling somewhat relieved that Frost didn't utilize the "2nd form".

Kuririn: "It's good that he didn't use that transformation."

He probably had some feelings brought up about becoming a shish kabob in the Freeza arc and was glad to not see that form again.

That should be all of them. Again, if anyone has any part of this they'd like to challenge or add their two cents in, feel free to do so (especially on that Vegeta one).
Thanks! :thumbup:
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:42 pm

A translation question; In the latest manga chapter, did Beerus mention the Omni-King being able to destroy all 12 universes in an instant aswell? Because i just read the manga stream's version (yes they're unreliable i know) and they had Beerus saying just the entire universe..

Analytic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytic » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:12 pm

Regarding Innocent Boo, is that the name for Majin Boo (who fought SS3 Goku) or Good Boo (after expelling Pure Evil Boo)?

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:12 pm

Technically, they're one and the same. Just for specification's sake, 'Innocent Boo' fought Super Saiyan 3 Goku.

ahill1
Regular

Post by ahill1 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:48 pm

Someone could translate this part according to the Japanese manga for me please?

I want it as literal as possible.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:12 am

Vegeta: "Mind your own self. Begone. "
Vegeta: "I don't need assistance from a bastard like you."
Piccolo: *onomatopoeia for smirking*
Piccolo: "I see." (Think of a playfully sarcastic tone? Viz retained the personality.)

Of course, if anyone wants to correct my interpretation, feel free.