Things the Dubs did better.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gogeta97
Beyond Newbie

Re: Things the Dubs did better.

Post by gogeta97 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:11 pm

On the subject of Cell I must admit I don't think I've ever heard a genuinely bad dub voice for him. Wakamoto is of course a classic but Dameon Clarke's is arguably the best performance to come out of Funimation's original dub. I always loved his "yet another fighter you could have saved" line even if its delivery is a bit awkward. The Ocean dub is okay, not great or bad, and the Cell from Blue Water's dub of GT is...surprisingly generic, but still not bad.

Also Funi Kai>Japanese Kai. The Japanese voice actors are just not at the top of their game like they once were, and Funimation's voice actors definitely are(even if I still don't like Colleen Clinkinbeard's Gohan).
fadeddreams5 wrote:At this point, that time machine is symbolic to how fans feel about Super. We hope it gets better, but ultimately find ourselves going back in time to a better series.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:24 pm

I think the big thing about Clark's Cell was that he was so clearly enjoying himself, that it enhanced the performance. You can tell he's having a blast as Perfect Cell. Even today, with his work in the video games. Xenoverse had moments where Clark is just hamming it up as hard as he can.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:29 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:I think the big thing about Clark's Cell was that he was so clearly enjoying himself, that it enhanced the performance. You can tell he's having a blast as Perfect Cell. Even today, with his work in the video games. Xenoverse had moments where Clark is just hamming it up as hard as he can.
It also helps that Cell wasn't really given any awful lines of dialogue to speak of. Something that really hurt Young's Freeza who I still think could've done a good job on the character under better circumstances.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:43 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I think the big thing about Clark's Cell was that he was so clearly enjoying himself, that it enhanced the performance. You can tell he's having a blast as Perfect Cell. Even today, with his work in the video games. Xenoverse had moments where Clark is just hamming it up as hard as he can.
It also helps that Cell wasn't really given any awful lines of dialogue to speak of. Something that really hurt Young's Freeza who I still think could've done a good job on the character under better circumstances.
"Thank you Goku, I will accept this bean without hesitation!"
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:45 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
"Thank you Goku, I will accept this bean without hesitation!"
Still ain't no "Pop goes the weasel!" or "Ride em cowboy!" though ;)
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:13 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Still ain't no "Pop goes the weasel!" or "Ride em cowboy!" though ;)
"You can't win because I am mighty... and you are not."

For all the shit I give the original FUNi dub and Linda Young's Freeza, I love that line.

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:13 pm

I have quite a few, but there is one that stands out the most to me.

Remember in the final episode of DBGT when Goku leaves with Shenron? Apparently, in the Original Japanese, Vegeta questions Goku departure but is quickly shushed.

When Funi dubbed it, they added a line where Goku tells Vegeta, "They are in your hands now" and then leaves.

That, in my opinion, had a more powerful impact than the original. It wasn't Gohan or Uub that he could count on; it was his rival-turned-ally Saiyan.
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

Snow_Lilies

Post by Snow_Lilies » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:14 pm

I won't say these scenes are "better" per say, but I like them nonetheless.

First one here is Trunks's appearance. I like how the music goes low as we anticipate Trunks's first words and then comes back in full force to continue the "Who in the world is this guy!?" feeling. The next one...I surprisingly can't find a clip for. It's also from Funi's Z-dub Episode 238 though when Piccolo goes to check out the battlefield for signs of Buu after Vegeta sacrifices himself. The anime in both versions expands on the manga. In the Japanese version, Piccolo notes the irony of Vegeta tossing aside his pride to die for his family and friends and arguably comes to realize and appreciate the full turn around of Vegeta's character. It's a subtle acknowledgment but a powerful one nonetheless. Awesome. In Funi's version, they open up Piccolo a bit more where he parallels Vegeta's growth with his own. He recalls his feelings when he gave up his life fighting Nappa, acknowledging that he used to be selfish like Vegeta until he bonded with Gohan and began to change. He then says his goodbyes to his fallen comrade before turning to deal with Babidi. Also awesome. This is also my favorite era of Sabat Piccolo, voice-wise.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:45 pm

In Funi's version, they open up Piccolo a bit more where he parallels Vegeta's growth with his own. He recalls his feelings when he gave up his life fighting Nappa, acknowledging that he used to be selfish like Vegeta until he bonded with Gohan and began to change. He then says his goodbyes to his fallen comrade before turning to deal with Babidi. Also awesome. This is also my favorite era of Sabat Piccolo, voice-wise.
I'd have to see that in context but is comrade your word or FUNi's? This all comes as a tad too saccharine for Piccolo, especially since at no point were he and Vegeta ever friends.
Like, have you seen his acting in YuYu Hakusho
Yeah, and it's his best performance, but still not good. He still sounds like he's trying to act instead of being the character. It's a performance that draws attention to itself. His Yusuke shouts "Look at me, I'm a tough guy!" Just like the villains he voices scream "I'm a bad guy!"
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Snow_Lilies

Post by Snow_Lilies » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:28 am

ABED wrote:
In Funi's version, they open up Piccolo a bit more where he parallels Vegeta's growth with his own. He recalls his feelings when he gave up his life fighting Nappa, acknowledging that he used to be selfish like Vegeta until he bonded with Gohan and began to change. He then says his goodbyes to his fallen comrade before turning to deal with Babidi. Also awesome. This is also my favorite era of Sabat Piccolo, voice-wise.
I'd have to see that in context but is comrade your word or FUNi's? This all comes as a tad too saccharine for Piccolo, especially since at no point were he and Vegeta ever friends.
Like, have you seen his acting in YuYu Hakusho
Yeah, and it's his best performance, but still not good. He still sounds like he's trying to act instead of being the character. It's a performance that draws attention to itself. His Yusuke shouts "Look at me, I'm a tough guy!" Just like the villains he voices scream "I'm a bad guy!"
My word. And that's fine if you feel that way. I'd definitely agree that in general the Funi dub takes bits and pieces of characters and amplifies them up, so this might come down to personal taste. To me Piccolo was always a private individual and his transformation over the years has had him experiencing many feelings that he himself takes a while to understand much less admit. Even after dying for Gohan, he goes back to being gruff for a long while which adds a bit to his character's complexity. He really doesn't start to mellow out until after he fuses with Kami. So while this dive into Piccolo's mind definitely came across as unusual (in both versions), I don't consider it entirely out of character (the reflection itself; the specific lines chosen didn't really leave much room nuance).

Keep in mind Toei extrapolated from simply "あいつに救われたか..." ("We were saved by him, huh...") in the manga and gave us some more of that Piccolo depth with some extra scenes already. Again, I totally get if the directness and word choice isn't to your liking. It does miss the mark a bit on exactly what Piccolo might've been feeling, but without taking it word-for-word, it does sort of get at what Piccolo is about. And my tastes resonate with that kind of frankness and raw honesty with oneself. Not saying it's the most accurate portrayal, but I enjoyed it for what it was.

Anyways, I probably won't be able to convince you to take to it, but I hope I was able to explain a bit more about where I'm coming from. If it winds up being my guilty pleasure, that's more than fine with me. :P

Edit: For what it's worth, even from this version of the scene (and even with Piccolo calling him "friend"), at no point did I get the impression that they ever liked each other. I just more took it more in a "Piccolo recognized and understood where Vegeta was coming from." That maybe he saw him more as a kindred spirit (though this isn't hinted at in the Japanese version at all). If I were to extrapolate on top of extrapolation of extrapolation, I'd suggest that maybe that's why they hate each other so much. Maybe to Vegeta, Piccolo is what Vegeta sees himself becoming more like over time and he pushes back heavily against that in this arc, and to Piccolo, Vegeta is the extreme of what gruff Piccolo is now and more like what Piccolo was then. We're getting waaaaay out beyond the source material now though. I'm not going to push my musings as facts.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:21 am

My issue isn't that he's open, it's that calling Vegeta a comrade is too much. Piccolo is open with Gohan so it's not out of character, but if he does in fact call Vegeta a comrade in the dub, I don't think the dub did it better. They were never friends, so that moment of openness wouldn't work for me. I wouldn't even go as far as calling them kindred spirits. Piccolo was the offspring of an entity that was literally pure evil. He didn't have a choice. Piccolo hated Vegeta because he and his allies attacked and killed him while trying to do the same to his best friend.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.