Was Krillin's taco shirt ever explained by TOEI?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Was Krillin's taco shirt ever explained by TOEI?

Post by precita » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:12 am

Why would he be wearing a shirt with "Tacos" on it? Is it to appeal to the spanish DBZ fanbase?

I heard the Mexican dub of DBZ was very popular, and since tacos is a spanish food it is TOEI's nod to them as the fanbase. I mean of all the possible food choices they can put on a main characters shirt, they choose tacos?

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Re: Was Krillin's taco shirt ever explained by TOEI?

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:17 am

I don't know why he wears it, but I doubt foreign viewers ever crossed their minds. This is the same toei that wont let dbs be simulcast anywhere in 2016.
They probably just wanted a hip sounding word and chose something they saw on tv one time

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:22 am

Its not exactly uncommon over there.

http://imgur.com/a/XQn5o
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:29 am

KentalSSJ6 wrote:Its not exactly uncommon over there.

English(or"engrish") can be used for decorative rather that communicative purposes. Or in this case "supanishu" i guess :lol:
To be fair, we throw words like senpai around without any meaning too,and few anglophones distinguish tsunami from sunami.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:04 am

Okay, 1)

Those "Benign" and "I Think I Like" shirts are amazing.

2)

"Tako" (usually romanized with a "k") is also the Japanese word for "octopus" and used as a cheeky way to refer to bald people. "Baldy," basically. That's likely the reason Kuririn's been saddled with that particular shit. I somewhat doubt the "c" and its identical spelling to the food item is even intentional.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:35 am

Cipher wrote:Okay, 1)

2)

"Tako" (usually romanized with a "k") is also the Japanese word for "octopus" and used as a cheeky way to refer to bald people. "Baldy," basically. That's likely the reason Kuririn's been saddled with that particular shit. I somewhat doubt the "c" and its identical spelling to the food item is even intentional.
That octopus thing is likely. The guy also had to wear the Kulilin hat on namek, the poor guy is just a victim of bad romanizations.
Last edited by RedRibbonSoldier#42 on Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:39 am

Do we really need an explanation for everything now? C'mon, this is getting ridiculous.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:24 am

precita wrote:Why would he be wearing a shirt with "Tacos" on it?
Why not?

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:17 am

All of these look like lyrics to an intro song lol.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:24 am

Doctor. wrote:Do we really need an explanation for everything now? C'mon, this is getting ridiculous.
It's a legitimate question (seemingly odd English word choice on a t-shirt) with a likely explanation (slang term). I'm curious why this is a problem for you.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:26 am

I think it's just another one of those random things. If you watch Dragon Ball or Z, you might notice a bunch of random sayings on billboards, buildings, and shirts. Why did that one guy have a "Super Saiyan" shirt during the Cyborg arc when the world shouldn't even know what a Super Saiyan is? Why did Vegeta have a "Bad Man" shirt -- or rather, why did Bulma have a "Bad Man" pink men's shirt laying around the house? What is "Postboy," which is written on Piccolo's shirt during his driving lesson? Is "Tacos" odd? Sure. But it's not the first time that some random thing showed up on a character's articles of clothing.

I'm just curious how the word "Tacos" managed to find its way onto his shirt. Did someone have tacos for lunch and decide that Kurirrin needed something on his shirt, so they thought of tacos? The world will never know.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:07 pm

Probably because the word sounds cool in English. Do you have people in Japan likes random words in English similar how it is here in the US with Japanese words.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:46 pm

It's the taco=tako=octopus=slang for "baldie" thing Cipher already mentioned. Kuririn gets called a tako/baldie repeatedly throughout the series.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:14 pm

...godammit Japan.

Though I'm surprised "Are you a good Bitch or a bad Bitch?" isn't in American stores.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:51 pm

Why does it need to be explained? Just say Krillin likes tacos and call it a day.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:40 pm

I hope Monaka wears an oppai shirt one day.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:00 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:I hope Monaka wears an oppai shirt one day.
He should wear a shirt that says "I'm useless little shit who needs to be killed off" and have his moobs twisted off.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:46 pm

Cipher wrote:Okay, 1)

2)

Huh... I would never guessed that. I have to admit, that is pretty damn clever.

MadSaiyantist
Beyond Newbie

Post by MadSaiyantist » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:53 pm

Doctor. wrote:Do we really need an explanation for everything now? C'mon, this is getting ridiculous.
The beauty of the this is that there actually is a good explanation for the shirt.

Snow_Lilies

Post by Snow_Lilies » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:34 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Why does it need to be explained? Just say Krillin likes tacos and call it a day.
I recall when the Champa Arc was airing there was some discussion floating about of how Kuririn's appearance in Super didn't match his manga appearance nor some key frames for him in an early episode in that arc. I believe this was the first appearance of the Taco shirt, so it's only natural that people are a bit curious about what it means and why it was decided to be put in (or from the other angle, why the key frame here wasn't used!). Here's a tweet from Hujio from a few months back noting this change.

https://twitter.com/Hujio/status/703431 ... 72/photo/1