Was Krillin's taco shirt ever explained by TOEI?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Was Krillin's taco shirt ever explained by TOEI?

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:29 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Do we really need an explanation for everything now? C'mon, this is getting ridiculous.
It's a legitimate question (seemingly odd English word choice on a t-shirt) with a likely explanation (slang term). I'm curious why this is a problem for you.
It's the character designer's choice. Do we really need to question it? Maybe he likes tacos, maybe he wasn't in the mood for hamburgers that day, who knows! We don't really have an explanation beyond "they felt like it".

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:46 pm

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:That octopus thing is likely. The guy also had to wear the Kulilin hat on namek, the poor guy is just a victim of bad romanizations.
I don't see how that's a bad Romanization. The 'lin' in his name comes from 'shaolin'.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:23 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:
RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:That octopus thing is likely. The guy also had to wear the Kulilin hat on namek, the poor guy is just a victim of bad romanizations.
I don't see how that's a bad Romanization. The 'lin' in his name comes from 'shaolin'.
It just looks wierd, but that probably just exposure bias. I guess it's okay, unlike some others....

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:38 am

Doctor. wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Do we really need an explanation for everything now? C'mon, this is getting ridiculous.
It's a legitimate question (seemingly odd English word choice on a t-shirt) with a likely explanation (slang term). I'm curious why this is a problem for you.
It's the character designer's choice. Do we really need to question it? Maybe he likes tacos, maybe he wasn't in the mood for hamburgers that day, who knows! We don't really have an explanation beyond "they felt like it".
Two people explained it on the first page.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:06 am

Doctor. wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:
If talking about something really in depth annoys you, forums probably aren't your thing. We've had discussions about individual frames of animation here.

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:48 am

Trying to catch some of that Deadpool heat.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:50 am

That octopus explanation is honestly quite brilliant.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:25 am

The real question is, why is he wearing this shirt with a "baldy" reference when he has hair now? Just as a callback to how he used to shave his head?

He should lend the shirt to some characters who've never been seen with any hair, like Tenshinhan or Piccolo.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:42 am

Maybe he just likes tacos...
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:52 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Maybe he just likes tacos...
Not necessarily. You missed this great explanation by Cipher on the first page:
Cipher wrote:"Tako" (usually romanized with a "k") is also the Japanese word for "octopus" and used as a cheeky way to refer to bald people. "Baldy," basically. That's likely the reason Kuririn's been saddled with that particular shit. I somewhat doubt the "c" and its identical spelling to the food item is even intentional.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:48 pm

sailorspazz wrote:The real question is, why is he wearing this shirt with a "baldy" reference when he has hair now? Just as a callback to how he used to shave his head?

He should lend the shirt to some characters who've never been seen with any hair, like Tenshinhan or Piccolo.

The shirt wouldn't fit Piccolo or Tenshinhan. Perhaps Chaozu! *Dum, dum, pshh!*

Did he not shave his head again in Super only to regrow it? When he shaved his head in Resurrection "F," I thought that they wanted to do a call-back to classic Kuririn (since everyone looked just like they did in their prime), but then he just regrows his hair again making it kind of like a useless little thing.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:03 pm

Why can't it be both taco (the food) and tako (octopus)? Isn't Beerus a two way between Beer and Virus?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:41 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:
That's a fan theory, and considering Toriyama's "I didn't think the character would be around for long so I didn't put much thought in his name" comment, a rather unlikely one. "-rin" is a common cutesy ending to names and nicknames.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:52 am

Danfun64 wrote:Why can't it be both taco (the food) and tako (octopus)? Isn't Beerus a two way between Beer and Virus?
two way *pun*...why is post editing disabled on old posts?

I thought that Krillin's original Japanese name was supposed to be Kurilin.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:42 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:
sailorspazz wrote:The real question is, why is he wearing this shirt with a "baldy" reference when he has hair now? Just as a callback to how he used to shave his head?

The shirt wouldn't fit Piccolo or Tenshinhan. Perhaps Chaozu! *Dum, dum, pshh!*
*ahem* Chiaotzu would like to remind everyone that he is NOT, in fact, bald:

What other bald, short characters could get use out of the shirt? Maybe Freeza, he's pretty tiny :lol: (well, in most of his forms...)
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:58 pm

My little brother loves that shirt, everytime Kuririn appears in it, he says ''tacos'' and laughs :D
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88