Japanese or English?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Post by KillerCory » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:19 pm

Well, a friend told me about the show in 1998 so I took his word for it and bought the first few VHS with the Ocean Dub. This was my first anime so I enjoyed it a lot.

Then after what seemed forever season 3 started and the voices weren't great but I soon got used to them.

As of now I'm trying to watch the Japanese version but I still find myself going back to the dub. However, i'm not sure why because I have no problem watching other animes in japanese such as Naruto and FMA.
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:36 pm

KillerCory wrote:As of now I'm trying to watch the Japanese version but I still find myself going back to the dub. However, i'm not sure why because I have no problem watching other animes in japanese such as Naruto and FMA.
That's weird. I have a terrible time trying to watch DBZ in English - but I don't mind Naruto or FMA dubbed (as I've said before: FMA is the best dub ever. They hired a 12-year-old to play a 12-year-old - genius!)

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Post by KillerCory » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:41 pm

I've watch FMA Dub and it is really good.

I cannot stand Naruto -all the kids sound the same.

Not to mention hearing "Believe it!" every few lines.
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:31 pm

desirecampbell wrote:(as I've said before: FMA is the best dub ever. They hired a 12-year-old to play a 12-year-old - genius!)
Yeah, I agree about FMA. If only such a level of common sense were prevalent in other dubs, eh? Naruto, Bleach, and (even) Inuyasha are pretty well-dubbed... and, um, are the only dubs I really watch. You know what else is excellently dubbed? Kodocha.

One Piece... I watch the Kaizoku groups fansubs on YouTube. That's right; you heard me.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:35 pm

I have to disagree with you about Naruto being well dubbed. Maybe I'm used to the Japanese version, but still.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:41 pm

JAPPO wrote:I have to disagree with you about Naruto being well dubbed. Maybe I'm used to the Japanese version, but still.
I'm not saying it's "FMA" good - but it's better than a lot of dubs, and leeps and bounds better than DBZ.

The worst thing about Natuto's dub is that the "believe it"s are too annoying. They're supposed to be annoying, but not to the point where you wish harm upon the character. Another example is 'King of the Hill's Peggy Hill - she's supposed to be annoying, but I just can't stand her.

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:43 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
JAPPO wrote:I have to disagree with you about Naruto being well dubbed. Maybe I'm used to the Japanese version, but still.
I'm not saying it's "FMA" good - but it's better than a lot of dubs, and leeps and bounds better than DBZ.

The worst thing about Natuto's dub is that the "believe it"s are too annoying. They're supposed to be annoying, but not to the point where you wish harm upon the character. Another example is 'King of the Hill's Peggy Hill - she's supposed to be annoying, but I just can't stand her.
When she fell out of the airplane, I was hoping she would have died. :P

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:05 pm

SatoSky wrote:When she fell out of the airplane, I was hoping she would have died. :P
Me too, friend. Me too. :(

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:25 pm

KinoFourpaws wrote:You are now my favorite person on this forum. :D
Aw, I hope I'm in the top 5. :lol:

On topic. My first ever exposure to DragonBall, which I wasn't even aware it was DB at the time, was the NES game Dragon Power, which my parents got me for Christmas at least 15 years ago or so. As for what I prefer.

The DBZ Ocean version: This "Dub" will always hold a nostalgic spot in my heart as well, as serve such a strong reminder of how much One Piece was screwed. This Ocean DBZ "Dub" is godly in comparison to One Piece. However, in the long run, I prefer the FUNi cast over them.

The FUNi dub as it was televised/released on previous R1 DVDs: I was a big fan of this dub when it aired on Cartoon Network back in the day, always looking forward to new episodes and even found myself buying VHSes in some of the early days. However, this is all predating my exposure to the Japanese version, which in fact...

Japanese version with Steve "Daimao" Simmons' subs: This, I prefer over the above 2 options a thousand fold. The music is just leagues ahead of anything Faulconer, Mark Menza, and random-boy Nathan Johnson ever came up with (though Faulconer had some good pieces in the Cell and Buu arcs, IMO). Watching the anime as it was originally voiced and composed by Toei, with Steve's phenomenal translation work, is just a marveling and timeless experience that I'll never tire of. I will admit, I can never bring myself to watch this without subtitles though, I prefer to have a full understanding of what I'm watching and Daimao's subs provide just that. This is a version that can truly bring tears to my eyes on certain occasions.

New dub w/t Japanese BGM: Above all, believe it or not, I actually prefer this over the Japanese version. The dub with the Japanese music is something I've always loved with DB, starting with the Pioneer movies (I'll always prefer movie 2 over its Japanese version) and continuing with the original DB series. Because the original DB series went with this format, I've hardly watched the Japanese version, mainly because I find the dub of this series that damn good. Then there's DBZ's new audio track for the season sets, which just like Pioneer DBZ movie 2 and original DB before it, I'm finding myself to prefer over the Japanese version. The FUNi dub VAs are what I grew up loving the series, and hearing them combined with the fantastic original music from the Japanese version that I found to love even more, just comes up with a version of the show that seems to be the definitive English dub. Not to mention a perfect continuation of original DB, and I'm speaking from experience of viewing the first 39 episodes in this format, a lot of them more than once. Heck, it's something I've wanted with DBZ ever since getting into the Japanese version.
14 years later

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:06 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:
New dub w/t Japanese BGM: Above all, believe it or not, I actually prefer this over the Japanese version. The dub with the Japanese music is something I've always loved with DB, starting with the Pioneer movies (I'll always prefer movie 2 over its Japanese version) and continuing with the original DB series. Because the original DB series went with this format, I've hardly watched the Japanese version, mainly because I find the dub of this series that damn good. Then there's DBZ's new audio track for the season sets, which just like Pioneer DBZ movie 2 and original DB before it, I'm finding myself to prefer over the Japanese version. The FUNi dub VAs are what I grew up loving the series, and hearing them combined with the fantastic original music from the Japanese version that I found to love even more, just comes up with a version of the show that seems to be the definitive English dub. Not to mention a perfect continuation of original DB, and I'm speaking from experience of viewing the first 39 episodes in this format, a lot of them more than once. Heck, it's something I've wanted with DBZ ever since getting into the Japanese version.
I'm shocked. In a good way.

As for Peggy Hill, I find her a tad TOO annoying as well.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:08 pm

I first saw the show in English via the dub of DragonBall by the Ocean Group (though prior to that I had read about the show in EGM, c/o their preview of Super Butôden 3). After that, I watched DragonBall Z via the syndicated Ocean dub and when FUNimation switched casts...I found the original Japanese.

To me, the English version serves only to exemplify that if something isn't broken it shouldn't be fixed. Why FUNimation's latest dubs of the DBZ episodes, having worked to garner a reputation as a respectible anime company, are still so chocked full of added lines and forced performances is beyond me.

Oh well ;p

-Corey

Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:12 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote: One Piece... I watch the Kaizoku groups fansubs on YouTube. That's right; you heard me.
I'm sure we're all willing to look the other way when it comes to downloading or YouTubing fansubs of and 4Kids licensed property.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:39 pm

I started watching the Dragon Ball Z Ocean Dub somewhere in the middle of the Namek arc. I was intrigued by its odd designs & out of this world scenario (both literally & figuratively) . It was like any action cartoon I've never seen. It was so different. I didn't start watching Dragon Ball Z regularly much until the 72 episode season done by FUNi's Texas Cast. At this time, my fandom was reaching its prime with the series. My first exposure to the Japanese version was a Movie 12 Bootleg. I did much research on the internet, to grasp the Dragon Ball universe.

I was very intrigued by the Japanese performances & their dedication to the roles. Like most others, when I first heard Masako Nozawa's performance as Son Goku, I was shocked, yet intrigued by the direction. I later found out it was a norm to have female seiyuu play the lead role in most Shonen anime (especially that of Shonen Jump material). Whether it was Mayo Sukukaze as Himura Kenshin or Mayumi Tanaka as Luffy, it was very much prevalent. I went to an anime convention, saw Daizex's new year panel, their website, this forum, & that was that. I now am fully a fan of the Japanese version for most reasons said above, but FUNi's dub will always have a place in my mind as to how I got started.
Last edited by Sebastian (SB) on Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:26 pm

Sebastian (SB) wrote:I later found out it was a norm to have female seiyuu play the lead role in most Shonen anime (especially that of Shonen Jump material). Whether it was Nozomu Sasaki as Urameshi Yusuke
Sasaki Nozomu is a man.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:24 pm

First I saw Dragon Ball in 1995 and though it was stupid. Then I saw Dragon Ball Z in 1998(?) and thought it was stupid. After a while, I became a fan. My little brother kept buying the edited VHS, but I wanted to watch the uncut DVDs. Dragon Ball GT aired on Cartoon Network with FUNimation's stupid recap episode and I was extremely confused. I knew what was supposed to happen in the first episode and yet most of it didn't happen. Where was Pan going on a date? Where was Gokuh's kidnapping? One day I bought the first three Dragon Ball Z movies on DVD. It was great! I've now seen all of Dragon Ball in Japanese (My favourite way) and the first few episodes of Dragon Ball Z, too. :D

But If I'm to continue with the series, I have to watch the evil orange boxset :cry:
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:29 pm

KillerCory wrote:I've watch FMA Dub and it is really good.

He doesn't say it that much anymore. Besides if you watched the Japanese version and played a drinking game for everytime he said "Dattebayo" you'd be plastered in 5 minutes.

Reminds me of another interesting thing about DB/DBZ, not counting attack names or Roshi wanting "Pafu-Pafu" or Krillin wanting a woman, no one really has any catch phrases.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:32 pm

Super Sonic wrote:
KillerCory wrote:I've watch FMA Dub and it is really good.

He doesn't say it that much anymore. Besides if you watched the Japanese version and played a drinking game for everytime he said "Dattebayo" you'd be plastered in 5 minutes.

Reminds me of another interesting thing about DB/DBZ, not counting attack names or Roshi wanting "Pafu-Pafu" or Krillin wanting a woman, no one really has any catch phrases.
I believe the Oni's in Hell do I'm not sure exactly what they say but it is sort of there punctuation. They say it at the end of almost all of there sentences.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:38 pm

The Oni just say 'Oni' at the end of all their sentences. Does anybody know why?

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:59 pm

After popping the DVD in and watching half of the episode I think it was for some verbal comedy. I caught lines like "That is one stubborn Oni Oni!" so on and so fourth in that style. That and correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that a fad in anime? For example don't Neko characters usually have cat sounds as catch phrases/tag lines.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:14 am

It's just a habit in their speech (uh..."kuchiguse" if not mistaken.) They can range from using a common ending all the time ("da", "no da", "de aru", etc) or to totally made up ones ("-nya", "-don", the character's name or species, etc.) This usually only applies for manga/anime, because...Well, the conventions of Japanese in manga/anime rarely ever apply to real life.