Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ajay

Re: Super Animation Catalogue - [Updated with #52]

Post by Ajay » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:34 am

Some good news to mark the 101th page of this thread with. Naotoshi Shida just mentioned on Twitter that he's going to be working on Dragon Ball in the future in a small capacity.

Here's the full transcription:

Fan: Shida-san, you've recently been working on the One Piece movie and today's special, right?
Shida: Also working on Dragon Ball a little bit(^^)
Fan: Wow, that makes me very happy \(^^)/ Working on Genga? Or working on storyboards like before?
Shida: Genga, and just a little... (^^;;
Fan: Aaaah! When you say it like that, it really does sound like it's just a short scene. But, I'll be waiting in anticipation. When that scene gets broadcast, I'll be selfish and contact you again \(^^)/

Awesome news.
Last edited by Ajay on Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:36 am

HybridSaiyan wrote:All the more reason to wish Super was made in the 1990's. Imagine how good it would be?!
The year in which Super is being made has nothing to do with its quality.
Ajay wrote:Some good news to mark the 101th page of this thread with. Naotoshi Shida just mentioned on Twitter that he's going to be working on Dragon Ball in the future in a small capacity.

In response to a fan praising his work on Heart of Gold, he responded "I'm also working on a little something for Dragon Ball (^^)". The fan replied, "Aaaah! When you say it like that, it really does sound like it's just a short scene. But, I'll be waiting in anticipation. When that scene gets broadcast, I'll be selfish and contact you again \(^^)/". Shida then responds saying that he's currently working on the genga.

Awesome news.

Even if it's a single cut it's still awesome that Shida is willing to work on (presumably) Super.
I'm going to be really sad if it ends up just being for Xenvoerse 2's opening or something.
If it is an episode of Super it might give us some insight into what the schedule is like right now, he says he's working on the genga so if the episode airs 4+ weeks from now then the schedule is definitely better than it was during the Champa arc.
Hopefully this isn't a one off thing and we see Shida pop in every now and then like he does for other shows (again, assuming it is Super).

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:58 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:All the more reason to wish Super was made in the 1990's. Imagine how good it would be?!
The year in which Super is being made has nothing to do with its quality.
No, but we'd have the old art-style! something I vastly prefer over the new modern art-style.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Super Animation Catalogue - [Updated with #51]

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:02 am

Cursemark505 wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Can you name them? I think it's stretch to say a well done Naruto episode outclasses any DB film.
If you're not familiar with Naruto, why say it's a stretch? Naruto's best looking episodes have movie quality animation & fantastic direction.
Original Naruo
Shippuden
290-295
etc
Dragon ball movies are nothing spectacular in the grand scheme of things.

Naruto puts many great animators on singular episodes instead of spreading them around all over the place.
It utilises its talent properly.
As I mentioned before, this has produced outstanding results.
This is something the super fanbase doesn't want for some reason.
They'd rather stick with mediocrity throughout.
You forgot the best episode of the series: Shippuuden #167!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

neolux
Beyond Newbie

Post by neolux » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:20 am

Ajay wrote:Some good news to mark the 101th page of this thread with. Naotoshi Shida just mentioned on Twitter that he's going to be working on Dragon Ball in the future in a small capacity.

Here's the full transcription:

Fan: Shida-san, you've recently been working on the One Piece movie and today's special, right?
Shida: Also working on Dragon Ball a little bit(^^)
Fan: Wow, that makes me very happy \(^^)/ Working on Genga? Or working on storyboards like before?
Shida: Genga, and just a little... (^^;;
Fan: Aaaah! When you say it like that, it really does sound like it's just a short scene. But, I'll be waiting in anticipation. When that scene gets broadcast, I'll be selfish and contact you again \(^^)/

Awesome news.
OMFG! :o That's awesome news :D lets hope for the best guys!

Shuby
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shuby » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:27 am

Cursemark505 wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Can you name them? I think it's stretch to say a well done Naruto episode outclasses any DB film.
If you're not familiar with Naruto, why say it's a stretch? Naruto's best looking episodes have movie quality animation & fantastic direction.
Original Naruo
Shippuden
290-295
etc

Naruto puts many great animators on singular episodes instead of spreading them around all over the place.
Never compare Super to Naruto or any other anime nowadays.
I guess this is one major way to show people what can be achievable with good a healthy production time
Super had bad pre-production as a result the fights are shit-tier compare to this even tho it both are long running series:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Best what Super produced was this and it credit where credit is due it looks good even though it is not even close for a tight schedule what they animated here is pretty good
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Last edited by Hujio on Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added spoiler tags

Roymustang16

Post by Roymustang16 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:30 am

ArchedThunder wrote: I'm going to be really sad if it ends up just being for Xenvoerse 2's opening or something.
I don't think that Xenoverse 2's opening will be in traditional animation, with all the trailer available you can see that the cutscene are rendered with the in-game engine so the beautiful CGI scenes with Bardock/Trunks must be a part of the opening and that would also explain why Bardock is watching the Goku and Freeza fight then suddently came back to his "normal place", I guess the opening will be a compilation of epic scenes from the movies and Z.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:39 am

Shuby, can you stop posting numerous awful quality gifs outside of spoiler tags, please. :thumbup:

The site supports MP4 and WebMs now, so let's try and make a conscious effort to start using those more.

Avidemux is really easy to use and lets you create short clips from just about anything. I can even write up a short guide if need be.

Deadtuber.

Shuby
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shuby » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:39 am

Ajay wrote:Shuby, can you stop posting numerous awful quality gifs outside of spoiler tags, please. :thumbup:

The site supports MP4 and WebMs now, so let's try and make a conscious effort to start using those more.

Avidemux is really easy to use and lets you create short clips from just about anything. I can even write up a short guide if need be.
Yes please guide me :D

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:40 am

Oh, man. My page is tripping out from those GIFs.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:00 pm

Okay, no problem.

Grab the relevant Avidemux installer from here. You'll likely want the Win32 version to be on the safe side.

Once that's installed, you can open up the program, which looks like this:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Open your video file by either going to File > Open, or by simply dragging the video file into the blank area.

Once that's done, we're going to want to change a few things to ensure the encoding is adequate.

On the left, change "Video Output" to "Mpeg4 AVC (x264), and then open up the filters menu.

Double-click "swsResize", and it'll bring up the Resize menu. The options in here will depend on your footage. For 4:3 video, change the dimensions to 640 for width, and 480 for height. If it's 16:9, use 854 for width, and 480 for height. Use "Lanzcos3" for the resize method. Then hit OK.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Now we're going to want to choose the portion of the video that we want encode.

At the bottom of the program, you can find the timeline. Scrub along to roughly where you want your clip to begin and use the arrow keys to move frame by frame to be exact. Mark the start by pressing the button underneath marked "A". Scrub along to where you want the clip to end and hit the "B" button.

The results on the timeline should be highlighted like this:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

We don't want audio in these clips, so head up to the top of the program and go to Audio > Select Track, and uncheck any that are enabled.

Once that's done, we'll want to choose out output format. On the left, change "Output Format" to "MP4 Muxer", then head up to the top and hit the save icon. Set your location and the video will begin encoding.

You may need to use "MP4v2 Muxer" if the program spits out a message saying the encode failed because the video was too short, or something along those lines. It can be a little temperamental depending on your source.

You'll want to find a host for your file now. I recommend https://mixtape.moe/ since it allows quite large files (not that your files will ever be much bigger than 10MB at the very most).

Once it's uploaded, it'll give you a URL. It should be formatted something like this "https://my.mixtape.moe/psvbmh.mp4".

Head back on to Kanzenshuu, and throw that link between the WebM tags like so:

Code: Select all

[webm]https://my.mixtape.moe/psvbmh.mp4[/webm]
If done correctly, you'll end up with something like this:

I'm sure this seems long and annoying, but once you've done it a couple of times, it's really simple and easy to remember.

Hope that helps!

Deadtuber.

Shuby
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shuby » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:00 pm

ryou766 wrote:Oh, man. My page is tripping out from those GIFs.
LMAO i kinda feel sad that my gifs look so ugly here.

neolux
Beyond Newbie

Post by neolux » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:27 pm

My pc is lagging because of those gifs lmao

Edit: Can he edit them to put them in spoiler tags tho?

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:48 pm

Cursemark505 wrote:

That's not the case. We did discuss the same issue on this thread in the past you can find it some 15-20 pages back. The fanbase doesn't want to stick with mediocrity. Obviously we want to see great animation. The problem with adopting the model you suggested is that we cannot afford it right now. When Super started it had a pretty bad schedule. Its better now than it was before but it still needs some improvement. So that model would not work for the series at the moment. On the brighter side, the schedule for this arc has been good so far. It was very, very surprising that we had such a small staff working on this week's episode, although Yashima has been soloing episodes in Super. The thing about Yahima is that he is kind of a 'Buffer' guy. He solos episodes and this allows the others some breathing space on their respective episodes. That's what he specifically did with ep.35 where the fight between Vegeta and Magetta was just a setup for the actual fight which took place in ep.36. So it finally looks like they are gonna be focusing more of their staff on the important episodes, going by today's episode. Although the one thing that is surprising is that today's episode looked better than some of the past episodes Yashima despite it having around 5 weeks of production time which other Yashima episodes also had. My guess is that it was mainly because of Higashide. So overall today's episode was ok to decent. Nothing crazy but nothing too bad. That Vegeta training scene was cool though. :thumbup:

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:58 pm

Cursemark505 wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Original Naruo
Shippuden
290-295
etc

never said, I wasn't familiar with Naruto, I'm up to date with mostly everything in Naruto. The reason I said, it was a stretch is because in my opinion the episodes don't look that grandiose or spectacular for them to be better then any DB film. I also think you're overrating Naruto quite a bit, I noticed every episode you listed is every Naruto episode that had good animation/art and episodes 17, 19, 71, 137 and to be honest a lot of episodes in the War Arc were nothing special to be said they look better than any DB film or episode for that matter. Furthermore could you please not generalize me, like I'm on ok with this subpar to average animation Supers' having even though I no what problem is, it still pisses me off that were 50+ episodes in with barely any improvement.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:01 pm

I mean, I'm just a passing Naruto fan, and something like Naruto #133 is leaps and bounds better animated than any Dragon Ball movie out there. I don't think that's even up for debate.

That's not to say that Dragon Ball films are bad -- they're not -- but they've never been treated to the same quality as many other productions.

Comparing One Piece Film Z to Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' is laughably depressing.

Deadtuber.

Shuby
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shuby » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:07 pm

Thanks Ajay,

Let me try it again with better quality.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Notice with enough time you can afford using different camera angles , the fights are possible to be much longer and intenser by using different fighting choreography while Super looks more static. :crazy:
Of course Super has still a long way to go but i think it's getting better , not sure if it ever hit the level of those 2 though.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:10 pm

Ajay wrote:I mean, I'm just a passing Naruto fan, and something like Naruto #133 is leaps and bounds better animated than any Dragon Ball movie out there. I don't think that's even up for debate.

That's not to say that Dragon Ball films are bad -- they're not -- but they've never been treated to the same quality as many other productions.
Comparing One Piece Film Z to Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' is
laughably depressing.
Do you mean 132?
Edit: Nevermind thought you meant shippuden 133 I still disagree

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:16 pm

Changing the subject a bit, a while back it was suggested that Toei should try to get another animator like Yashima, I was recently looking at Pokemon XY and XYZ staff and was blown away by a solo supervisor that series has. Iwane Masaaki is a beast, he solos episodes, provides key animation for episodes he's not supervising and has even had episodes that he soloed come out as little as TWO weeks apart. He stays on model and actually does some really great animation, having soloed a handful of big fights. If Toei could somehow get him on board that would be incredible, he even has a history with Dragon Ball, having done key animation for 14 episodes of Z.
Probably not though, he's been with Pokemon for a while so he will probably stay there, but one can dream. He certainly seems like he could deal with Super schedule better than others.
https://sakuga.yshi.org/post?page=1&tags=masaaki_iwane
Last edited by ArchedThunder on Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shuby
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shuby » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:17 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:Changing the subject a bit, I while back it was suggested that Toei should try to get another animator like Yashima, I was recently looking at Pokemon XY and XYZ staff and was blown away by a solo supervisor that series has. Iwane Masaaki is a beast, he solos episodes, provides key animation for episodes he's not supervising and has even had episodes that he soloed come out as little as TWO weeks apart. He stays on model and actually does some really great animation, having soloed a handful of big fights. If Toei could somehow get him on board that would be incredible, he even has a history with Dragon Ball, having done key animation for 14 episodes of Z.
Probably not though, he's been with Pokemon for a while so he will probably stay there, but one can dream. He certainly seems like he could deal with Super schedule better than others.
https://sakuga.yshi.org/post?page=1&tags=masaaki_iwane
They did wonders with Pokemon XY and XYZ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMHHOMz1uUs
This explains how lol