"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nickolaus
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by Nickolaus » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:30 am

Roymustang16 wrote:Wow, that almost 40 pages.

Toyotaro is definitely a great artist, the final pages look amazing, especially the final panel with that scary mad face.
Words cannot express how much I love how Toyotaro was able to capture Goku Black in that last page.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:13 am

The illustrations of the Trunks' future are incredibly detailed (even the dark sewers!). I also love how active Mai was in fighting Goku Black. I can't remember if she ever got off a shot in the anime.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:29 am

That ending was amazing. Especially the fire. Also liked how the battle takes place inside the lab with the time machine, instead of outside.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:35 am

Black looks awesome but holy shit this time travel shit... I do not get nothing and now I'm back to the mysterious timeline 4 which was mentioned... What the fuck was this?

But damn I give and just take it... Too dumb to understand it

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:36 am

I got major chills with those last few pages, Black's debut in the manga is definitely a lot more chilling in the manga and this is coming from someone who thought his anime debut was pretty great too.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:40 am

Wow, what a phenomenal chapter. That has to be Toyotaro's best work so far.

Fantastic layouts, beautifully detailed art, and some really great use of lighting that was seldom found in Toriyama's manga. Really cool stuff.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:53 am

ekrolo2 wrote:I got major chills with those last few pages, Black's debut in the manga is definitely a lot more chilling in the manga and this is coming from someone who thought his anime debut was pretty great too.
It is such a shame both of them were ruined beforehand (as in knowing that Black looks like Goku).

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:17 pm

I think the manga is going to be more dark than the anime! Awesome chapter, love the shadowing and light effects with Black and the final panel! I think it's safe to say that Toyotaro's art is improving the more he draws even at a fast rate, almost like he is having chapter release Zenkais :lol:
Really hope Toyotaro revisits the F arc for a perfect Kanzenban release or something.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:21 pm

Damn, I wished Mirai Bulma's death was showed the same way Dr. Gero killed that civilian :(
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:22 pm

Noah wrote:Damn, I wished Mirai Bulma's death was showed the same way Dr. Gero killed that civilian :(
If Toyotaro shown her death in this chapter, it would have definitely been very dark!

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:26 pm

Appearance of Black was better in anime.

Btw did they mention the omni king? What did they say about him.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:28 pm

I'm looking forward to buying the second tankoubon when it's released; Toyotaro's been doing really well.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:32 pm

Pannaliciour wrote:Appearance of Black was better in anime.

Btw did they mention the omni king? What did they say about him.
From the mention of 18 in the dialogue, it's probably the same deal about how there used to be 18 universes, until Zeno got pissed.
I'm certain the panel where Beerus has his tummy stuffed is where Whis says "Poof" to kinda make that a visual joke with the whole "Zeno blew up those universes" deal Whis is undoubtedly talking about.

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:45 pm

That last page though...
Overall, I like this one more than the anime version, except Bulma's death and not being able to hear Black's awesome voice. Though I gotta admit, seeing so much romance in a Dragonball manga makes me feel uneasy, not that I dislike the pairing.
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:00 pm

I'm definitely preferring the manga at the moment. I would've been fine of instead of having an anime, we'd get monthly chapters of the series.

Play Black's OST while looking at those last four pages. Chilling.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:06 pm

Jesus Christ Toyotarou can really pull some epic shit outta nowhere, tho the manga has been awesome up until now, this chapter is still by far the best he has pulled, the mystery and shadings mostly the ominous smile from Black.... MOAR!!!!! I WANT MOAAAAR!

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:20 pm

Just like last chapter this one was amazing as well. Toyotaro is doing a good job. The manga is far more enjoyable than the anime for me. The last few pages were just AWESOME!!

- Travis

Nickolaus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nickolaus » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:23 pm

A user on Reddit heard my request and made some line art of Goku Black based on the last chapter. Thought you guys would be interested in seeing it. https://imgur.com/a/szPIy

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:28 pm

Here's everything for Chapter 14 in one place:
We don't see it in the manga version, but future Bluma still died in the process of charging the time machine. She and Trunks were going to activate a solar generator, but I don't know if the time machine is electric or if that was to produce whatever the fuel is. Regardless, the time machine is charged enough for a one way trip, just like the anime.

The manga has Jaco specifically remind everyone that time travel splits the timeline to create a "parallel world". He brings it up because he heard from Tights that Bluma was doing "dangerous" research and wanted to remind her time travel is a crime. Bluma says most of her research now is beauty based. The "other stuff" is for the future, which they won't need if peace continues.

Kid Trunks' teacher follows up with a lesson on "parallel worlds". It's kinda morbid... To explain the theory, she says a boy (A-kun) wants to take rice bean cakes back to his younger mother, but she chokes on them and dies in the "parallel world". So now there would be a timeline where his mother doesn't exist and the boy isn't born. However the original mother and child remain fine. That lesson was from a college textbook that she had on accident though...they were supposed to be doing math. So, everyone, what's 10-3=?

Bluma asks Whis about when he reversed time with Freeza, wondering if there's a "parallel world" where the tyrant still lives. Whis says that's not changing the past, but simply "redoing". After using it, the "time base" switches out so it can't be used again for a while. (Don't ask what that is. No idea.)

In order to make sure he can return to the same Parallel World he created last time, Trunks keeps the settings of the time machine the same as the last time he used it...since Bluma is no longer around to tinker with it anymore. Thus explaining why he chose to go back 17 years again.

Trunks mentions Black has leaned the Earthling trait of ki sensing, which segues into Whis mentioning that Earthlings like to fight with ki control (something he noticed in Goku's fight with Hit). Whis notes such a thing can be an advantage, but over reliance on can be just as bad (a disadvantage).

Same revelation about there having previously been 18 Universes. Nothing about whether the 6 missing ones were wiped out at once, over time, or whatever.

Toyotaro works in a line about Jaco changing his spaceship to the one Toriyama designed for the anime (almost certainly because Toriyama's design wasn't done back when he started adapting the Champa Arc). It was a bribe from the Galactic King to keep the events of the Hakaishin Invitational a secret (Hit's Time Skip).

Nothing much after that. Mai is a bit more suicidal, directly asking Black to kill her first for the sake of the distraction. Also, Black refers to Trunks by name, right off the bat. None of the just calling him "Saiyan" stuff.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:55 pm

So that chapter was the length of the first episode of the arc. That's pretty cool.