Preference with Resurrection F

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rebel_Yeh
Not-So-Newbie

Preference with Resurrection F

Post by Rebel_Yeh » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:18 pm

Which version of the Resurrection F story do you prefer: the version where Tagoma died early (movie version), or the version where Tagoma lived to fight the Z warriors (super version)?

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Re: Preference with Resurrection F

Post by Nejishiki » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:27 pm

I didn't find Tagoma memorable in either interpretation. I'm struggling to remember anything about him other than him lacking faith in Freeza and retrieving a Dragon Ball. If anything, I feel Shisami should have been fleshed out. He's similarly not as memorable, but I enjoy his design and would have welcomed more of his thoughts and interactions towards Freeza's developing revenge planning and execution.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:51 pm

I liked Tagoma's involvement in Super as he was given Background (Freeza's potato/punching bag) and it led the way for Ginyu to return.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:42 pm

He's not a interesting character anyway.
But he's much better written in Super than ROF and finally worthy to be on the Movie poster.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:49 pm

Tagoma living would have been my preference as I feel like his character was wasted by him just getting killed off so early on in the film, even if it did fit Freeza's character.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:54 pm

Arc of course. He definitely shouldn't have gotten killed off that early. And I liked Ginyu's return.

Why did they put Tagoma on the poster if he got taken out of the (motion) picture so soon?
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:56 pm

Tagoma definitely got more personality as "the strong guy in Freeza's forces that the heroes struggle with" than Shisami had. Then the Ginyu stuff made all that unnecessary. Ginyu could have taken over Shisami, for all the difference it made.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:50 pm

Rebel_Yeh wrote:Which version of the Resurrection F story do you prefer: the version where Tagoma died early (movie version), or the version where Tagoma lived to fight the Z warriors (super version)?
I prefer the periodic Jump manga version. You know that one that doesn't actually exist.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:52 pm

Movie hands down. The Ginyu BS made all the development of Tagoma unnecessary he may have just died at the start like the movie, plus all the Z throwbacks in the arc were really annoying.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:36 am

Heck no, original movie version all the way. The arc in Super seemed like it was on a mission to waste as much time as possible. Even the stuff with Tagoma was halfway interesting at first but became ridiculously drawn out for no reason and pretty much ruined by all the Ginyu nonsense.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:47 am

Muh boy Shisami is great, but I did like the use of Tagoma in the animated series. Having Gi'nyuu take over his body was also spectacularly out of left field and I really enjoyed it. I just wish his fight had been well animated.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:02 am

The movie version is basically a mess. Freeza expecting to attain a measly 1.3 Million Battle Power after he trains and acting like its a big deal, Shisami out of nowhere giving Piccolo a hard time, the infamous Ring scene, etc.

I vastly prefer what happened in Super. Tagoma was a nice addition, and him being strong at least had an explanation. He actually had a personally and i liked his development. And Toei actually fixed many errors the movie had.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:37 am

There are only two things I liked in Super's version. Gohan's last effort by wasting all his energy to call his father and the fact that they didn't ignore Goten and Trunks. Still, I'll take the movie version any day. It's more concise and it has higher production values.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:45 am

I liked Krllins character development after not fighting in soooo long! Over 10 years!
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:13 pm

Actually explaining why one of Freeza's goons is randomly thousands of times stronger than any of the rest was an improvement, I'd say. Shisami in the movie just randomly being strong enough to fight Piccolo was weird. A lot of people even speculated that he was basically Freeza's training partner and otherwise he would've still been Zarbon/Ginyu Force level at best... and then Super did just that but with Tagoma instead.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:10 pm

Although both versions of the story didn't handle Tagoma's character so well, I'd say that the Super version was a slightly better. In the movie version, Tagoma was just a random mercenary that was killed off 10 minutes into the movie with no character whatsoever. In Super, he was given more characterization as his character drastically changed from a random everyday servant to a psychopathic murderer. The reason behind it was actually pretty well justified as he was influenced by the horrible lessons taught by Freeza. This pretty much makes him one of the most complex and compelling character in DB. That is, until the bloody arc had to swap him out with a gag character which just served as pointless padding. Totally nothing of value to the story at all.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:32 pm

I don't know if I can say I have a preference because both versions served up such an infuriating bait and switch. The movie (or rather, its marketing) built him up as a really big deal, only for him to contribute all of nothing. The TV version made me think he was going to be so cool. He was kept around for longer, given motivations and a dynamic character shift... and then they shat all of it away by putting Ginyu in there. I swear this show just has a habit of dicking around with the audience. It sets something up, full-force, without any subtlety, both barrels loaded only to then completely make a right turn into disappointment. But this one has to be the most baffling. It did nothing interesting with Tagoma. It did nothing interesting with Ginyu. Either one of those characters could have been good on his own. But putting them together was about as successful as combining ice cream and guacamole.

So I guess by default I have to choose the movie because at least the movie didn't go to great efforts to build up my expectations only to dash them in such an facepalm-inducing way. (But that doesn't stop the movie from sucking hard.)
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

In Brightest Day
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by In Brightest Day » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:45 pm

I know "different strokes for different folks" and all that, but I have no idea how anyone could possibly prefer Super to the film version.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:46 am

In Brightest Day wrote:I know "different strokes for different folks" and all that, but I have no idea how anyone could possibly prefer Super to the film version.
Well the show did fix a few plot-holes, like removing the "1.3 million" thing, having Goku revert back to base form before being shot (and the shot being from behind) to make it a bit less absurd that he'd go down to a random laser gun, adding a bit more tension with the death of Piccolo etc... Now one could argue that overall the way it was all executed was a bit of a mess... and I do not disagree... but at least it feels like they tried to build on the movie somewhat. Unlike the Beerus-arc which just cut out all the interesting stuff from the movie and stretched what was left out to the breaking point.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:02 am

In Brightest Day wrote:I have no idea how anyone could possibly prefer Super to the film version.
We got to see how Goku and Vegeta got Whis to train them and a good amount of that training.

Freeza was more menacing here and the Z fighters had a harder time with him and his men, especially Gohan.

Tagoma had a role in this and Ginyu finally got put down.

Goten and Trunks made an appearance and they explained why Buu wasn't there.

Freeza wasn't Goku's punching bag like he was in the movie.

Theye explained how Vegeta got his form and powers.

Vegeta's fight was longer and had more of an impact due to Goku being kicked around throughout his fight so him not getting the kill wasn't as bad.

The planet's explosion was a lot better and we got an ending to the story.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.