Tarble should actually be pretty powerful, right?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

In Brightest Day
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Tarble should actually be pretty powerful, right?

Post by In Brightest Day » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:44 pm

So, I know a lot of people don't like the Tarble character because...

A. He's meek and not particularly helpful and
B. His existence arguably doesn't make any sense.

I don't necessarily agree with those points. However, there seems to be a consensus that he shouldn't be particularly powerful. In the grand scheme of things I would say that would be the case. However, in Yo! Son Goku and his friends return, Avo and Cado said something to the effect of "You were able to give us trouble, Tarble." Avo and Cado at the very least are sitting with a power level of 530,000 (both equal to first form Freeza). How the hell would a character of say a couple thousand not only be able to apparently fight these two and survive but also live on the run for a number of years?

Honestly, I don't see Tarble having a power level of say 250,000 being an issue. In spite of his demeanor and perhaps being born with a low power level, he is still comes from a family of exceptionally powerful Saiyans. Not to mention, Tarble has likely had a number of run-ins with these two over the years and perhaps gained some pretty large Zenkai's along the way.

Pretty much end of my rambling. Surely Tarble should at the very least be much, much stronger than Nappa, Raditz, etc. at this point, right?

LightBing
I Live Here

Re: Tarble should actually be pretty powerful, right?

Post by LightBing » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:15 pm

I believe the line you mention doesn't refer to his strength. Instead it's about his escape abilities which forced Abo and Cado to follow him to Earth. Within the story the status quo is that Tarble is a weakling that was sent way, that never changes.
His royal status might have deemed someone twice as strong as Raditz a weakling, so he could be above him or close to Nappa and still be called a weakling. No way of knowing, really.

In Brightest Day
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by In Brightest Day » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:10 am

LightBing wrote:I believe the line you mention doesn't refer to his strength. Instead it's about his escape abilities which forced Abo and Cado to follow him to Earth. Within the story the status quo is that Tarble is a weakling that was sent way, that never changes.
That line of thinking is debatable. Oob, Kaioshin and Krillin and are unconfident "weaklings" in relation to the main characters of the story but are in fact ridiculously overpowered compared to everyone else.

I brought up the quote specifically because from what I remember Android #17 said something similar to Son Gohan in the future timeline before he killed him.

NothiaBlue

Post by NothiaBlue » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:26 am

I was actually thinking the same thing! A manga showed that Tech-Tech (the planet Tarble ended up on) isn't exactly hospitable, so I can imagine that Tarble got into some trouble while there (probably over limited resources) and he probably ended up improving in those fights and perhaps some zenkais too.

I also think that to some extent he enjoys friendly spars/fights, given his dialog in Raging Blast 2, so to me it wouldn't too far off for him to have trained a little bit, or to have gotten involved in something before Abo and Kado happened.

Either way, Tarble survived a fight against 2 first form Freeza's and there's no way someone who hadn't fought since he was a toddler would have been able to live through that. So, I do think that he's leagues beyond the average human, rather than at their level.

My personal headcanon is that he was Vegeta's equal when they were children, but his peaceful nature interfered with his fighting and he ended up exiled because of it.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:56 am

I checked the manga and there isn't any mention of Tarble being a weakling, I stand corrected. Maybe in the anime special there's some different lines and I was remembering that.

He was exiled due to being unsuited for battle; then comments how he's been living in peace. It appears he's just a good Saiyan who doesn't like violence and the Saiyan ways. He also said he fought Abo and Cado but was not match. I'll put him at 450.000, assuming the Freeza version he's meant was his First Form.
Freeza does admit few people saw past that form.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:03 am

NothiaBlue wrote:I was actually thinking the same thing! A manga showed that Tech-Tech (the planet Tarble ended up on) isn't exactly hospitable, so I can imagine that Tarble got into some trouble while there (probably over limited resources) and he probably ended up improving in those fights and perhaps some zenkais too.
Presumably, the Tech Tech aliens shown in Delicious Island's Mr. U are not the same race as Tarble's wife Gure. Toiyama mentioned in his New World section of the We Asked Akira Toriyama! 2013 interview from Chozenshu #1 that he recycles that same design, but they're not the same.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:38 pm

People don't like Tarble for the same reason they don't like Gohan. Because they're different. They don't want to fight and we've established that it's the only way a male character can be appealing in the eyes of some viewers.

NothiaBlue

Post by NothiaBlue » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:13 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
NothiaBlue wrote:I was actually thinking the same thing! A manga showed that Tech-Tech (the planet Tarble ended up on) isn't exactly hospitable, so I can imagine that Tarble got into some trouble while there (probably over limited resources) and he probably ended up improving in those fights and perhaps some zenkais too.
Presumably, the Tech Tech aliens shown in Delicious Island's Mr. U are not the same race as Tarble's wife Gure. Toiyama mentioned in his New World section of the We Asked Akira Toriyama! 2013 interview from Chozenshu #1 that he recycles that same design, but they're not the same.

Ah- Okay!

So it just means we have no idea what the planet's like in canon/the Dragon Ball Universe. Thanks!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:40 pm

He should be but I'm not sure if he's gone SSJ. After all, he inherited the blood of the Saiya People :D
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:07 pm

His existence came about in 2008, correct? Just before DBE?
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

darkerspare

Post by darkerspare » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:47 pm

I don't like him because along with that Minus chapter, his existence is another step in humanizing the Saiyans. I preferred it when the Saiyans were a naturally war-like and antagonistic race. With all of these exceptions (in Goku and Vegeta's family alone), that entire premise is slowly being eroded.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:47 pm

I'm with darkerspare. But really, is humanizing the Saiyans not what the majority of fans want? How much fan-made stuff is there out there on Burdock and Goku's mom (before Gine came along), etc.? I feel like those fans were catered to and now suddenly, Saiyans can be gooood (dub King Cold voice).

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:14 am

He should be, he's Vegeta's brother and a royal Saiyan.

It's so weird that he's mentioned for assistance in BOG for the Super Saiyan God and noone goes and gets him, instead relying on a half-Saiyan foetus. (It's also weird that the guy voicing him is now voicing Whis)

But I hope in the future that he gets a story with him and his wife. He doesn't need to be a Z-Fighter, just some solo adventures would be enough.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:54 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote:It's also weird that the guy voicing him is now voicing Whis.
Tarble's English voice actor from Raging Blast 2 voices Jaco in FnF. I just want to hear that in a Funimayion dub of the JSAT special.

Back on topic, Tarble is probably really strong and powerful, and have a slight chance of going SS1 if he trains really hard for a long period of time in like a RoSaT like room or gravity chamber.

What if... The Saigan Z fighters give him god powers? I know, never gonna happen but what if?

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:05 pm

simtek34 wrote:
DragonBallFoodie wrote:It's also weird that the guy voicing him is now voicing Whis.
Tarble's English voice actor from Raging Blast 2 voices Jaco in FnF. I just want to hear that in a Funimayion dub of the JSAT special.
I meant this guy:
http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Masakazu_Morita

Morita was Tarble and Whis, and also Ichigo in Bleach.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

In Brightest Day
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by In Brightest Day » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:03 pm

:mrgreen:
DragonBallFoodie wrote:He should be, he's Vegeta's brother and a royal Saiyan.

It's so weird that he's mentioned for assistance in BOG for the Super Saiyan God and noone goes and gets him, instead relying on a half-Saiyan foetus. (It's also weird that the guy voicing him is now voicing Whis)

But I hope in the future that he gets a story with him and his wife. He doesn't need to be a Z-Fighter, just some solo adventures would be enough.
I'm surprised, not annoyed or upset, just surprised that after the 2008 OVA Toriyama didn't have Tarble and Gure join the never ending rotating cast of background characters who stand there in amazement when Goku and Vegeta inevitably come back to save the day. Instead apparently they went back to live on some distant planet. Staying on Earth seems pretty logical. He'd get to see his family on a regular basis and no one really seems to care when you become collateral damage. The Dragon Balls are pretty nifty.