Forget about Gohan, what remains are only memories

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Forget about Gohan, what remains are only memories

Post by Ushabtis » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:10 pm

I'm still holding out that gohan will eventually do something. you can't keep having Gohan say stuff like this and not do anything with him

Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:37 pm

Well Gohan hasn't even been shown in the manga. My current theory is that everything Gohan so far has been filler minus ROF arc (due to the movie) and FT arc visit (we don't know if it's in the manga yet).

To me this is the best hope of Gohan fans...that he wasn't intended to look so weak to this point.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:40 pm

why is the super manga more "canon" than the anime? I'd think it'd be the other way around
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:43 pm

Ushabtis wrote:why is the super manga more "canon" than the anime? I'd think it'd be the other way around
I'm not saying it's more Canon. What I'm saying is Toriyama wrote the outline for both and we see similar concepts in both. A lot of moments are almost the same but expressed differently. The fact that Gohan hasn't even been shown in the manga makes me believe he wasn't written heavily if at all in the outline to this point.

Also I dont know that its fact but I've read here that Toriyama works more closely with the manga. Plus having just read the manga...I can't deny it's 10000000000000x better than the anime so perhaps I'd just like to believe that is canon :lol:
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:50 pm

yeah but this Gohan training thing could lead to an arc in the future, seems like a weird thing to mention this multiple times and have lead absolutely nowhere.

Since gohan is so off screen in the manga a simple sentence of "he was training the whole time" would suffice.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:56 pm

Ushabtis wrote:why is the super manga more "canon" than the anime? I'd think it'd be the other way around
The anime is the main product. That said, the manga didn't cover Resurrection F or its conclusion but Toei is ultimately the one fleshing out Toriyama's outline so it's on them to remember continuity even if it's stuff they added to the script.

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:00 am

Kagari wrote:The anime is the main product. That said, the manga didn't cover Resurrection F or its conclusion but Toei is ultimately the one fleshing out Toriyama's outline so it's on them to remember continuity even if it's stuff they added to the script.
that makes sense, well hopefully this gohan training thing leads to something.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:01 am

Ushabtis wrote:
Kagari wrote:The anime is the main product. That said, the manga didn't cover Resurrection F or its conclusion but Toei is ultimately the one fleshing out Toriyama's outline so it's on them to remember continuity even if it's stuff they added to the script.
that makes sense, well hopefully this gohan training thing leads to something.
Yeah who knows. I guess it's notable that he's gone back to his Battle of the Gods design, which was before his power nerf... so we'll see.

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:03 am

I admittedly haven't read the manga but is he really not featured in it at all?

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:14 am

SSJ Human wrote:I admittedly haven't read the manga but is he really not featured in it at all?
He's in the beginning chapters with the Battle of the Gods retelling, but only mentioned by name a couple times in the Champa arc.

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:35 am

Kagari wrote:
SSJ Human wrote:I admittedly haven't read the manga but is he really not featured in it at all?
He's in the beginning chapters with the Battle of the Gods retelling, but only mentioned by name a couple times in the Champa arc.
That's kind of disappointing. We're on the first chapter of the Future Trunks arc, right?

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:36 am

SSJ Human wrote:
Kagari wrote:
That's kind of disappointing. We're on the first chapter of the Future Trunks arc, right?
Yep, it ended right before Black and Trunks fight so it's even more behind now.

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:39 am

Kagari wrote:
SSJ Human wrote:
Kagari wrote: He's in the beginning chapters with the Battle of the Gods retelling, but only mentioned by name a couple times in the Champa arc.
Oh my. I'm starting to believe Gohan's reunion episode will be completely omitted now.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:46 am

SSJ Human wrote:
Kagari wrote:
SSJ Human wrote: That's kind of disappointing. We're on the first chapter of the Future Trunks arc, right?
Oh my. I'm starting to believe Gohan's reunion episode will be completely omitted now.
Yeah I'm interested to see how it'll play out in the manga version. Toyotaro's take is already somewhat different so far.

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:48 am

Kagari wrote:
SSJ Human wrote:
Kagari wrote:
Yeah I'm interested to see how it'll play out in the manga version. Toyotaro's take is already somewhat different so far.
It'll probably be a short two panels or something.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:00 am

Ushabtis wrote:I'm still holding out that gohan will eventually do something. you can't keep having Gohan say stuff like this and not do anything with him
I mean, you can. It's just bad writing.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:48 am

This words by Vegeta to Trunks... God damnit... It goes for Gohan as well.

Yeah and before peple say he started training after RoF... Cool... Piccolo again said he is no fighter in this arc

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:13 pm

Kishido wrote:This words by Vegeta to Trunks... God damnit... It goes for Gohan as well.

Yeah and before peple say he started training after RoF... Cool... Piccolo again said he is no fighter in this arc
Piccolo said he's distancing himself from martial arts but that doesn't really go against his resolve at the end of Resurrection F if you think about it. Piccolo didn't say he was outright done with it. He can still train while doing the scholar thing, he's not about being the strongest. If anything that line was probably meant to keep him from participating in the current arc. Same with Goten's school stuff keeping him away from meeting Future Trunks.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:26 pm

Kagari wrote:
Kishido wrote:This words by Vegeta to Trunks... God damnit... It goes for Gohan as well.

Piccolo said he's distancing himself from martial arts but that doesn't really go against his resolve at the end of Resurrection F if you think about it. Piccolo didn't say he was outright done with it. He can still train while doing the scholar thing, he's not about being the strongest. If anything that line was probably meant to keep him from participating in the current arc. Same with Goten's school stuff keeping him away from meeting Future Trunks.
The hope is strong with you...

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:31 pm

Kishido wrote:
Kagari wrote:

The hope is strong with you...
It wouldn't be much of a stretch for him to help out if the present Earth is threatened again. That's all anyone can hope for right now with Super's large disregard for most of the established cast.