Goku's role/usage in Dragon Ball Super

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Re: Goku's role/usage in Dragon Ball Super

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:33 pm

Ushabtis wrote:
sintzu wrote:I assure you GT would've gotten away with nearly all its flaws if it had Toriyama's name on it.
Its just sad how true this is. if Beerus was made in GT everyone would hate him and call him a one joke pony
I dont think its true personally. I became a huge DB fan as an adult rather than when I was younger and didn't even know Toriyama wasn't involved with GT when I watched it. I still hated it.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:52 pm

I really think people would have hated Beerus if he was in GT. all he does is talk about food, complain or get owned by bulma/king of everything.
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:00 am

Goku is suppose to be (and is) the lead role in the show. But lead roles don't act the way they've made Goku. They really have made Goku dumber than before. Main characters can have their scenes of comedy and humor but when it comes down to being serious, they are the best at it. Goku is rarely ever serious in this show at all. All he cares about is fighting it seems. Being stronger than everyone else doesn't make you the best main character. Having a persona while being strong does. And right now Goku is lacking in that department thanks to the writers.

His fight with Hit was somewhat serious. When he was taking care of Pan on the roof, they showed some depth with him. But those are the only times I can recall.
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

Rip the Jacker

Post by Rip the Jacker » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:54 am

What do you want to see from Goku going forward? Actually, not only Goku, but the Son family in general?

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:56 am

Rip the Jacker wrote:What do you want to see from Goku going forward? Actually, not only Goku, but the Son family in general?
Goku I'd like him to be a little more serious, his little "must fight everything that moves" shtick is getting really old in Super, it was fun in DB and Z but this is silly. Seriously the minute he gets to Universe 10 he wants to fight Zamasu and badgers the poor guy. I know they came there to check and see Zamasu's abilities/ki but jeez Goku.

as for the other members of Son family.

-Gohan
just have him be completely removed from the show and let him be a scholar in peace or go all in. I'm tired of seeing Gohan get blocked by the plot at every turn even though he wants to join. (it almost feels intentional at this point) also make sure that if he goes all in, don't make him super strong by sitting on his butt and gets handed the power up. Make him work for it. Let him remember this time and stay in top shape, don't have a 3 week break and have him lose 90% of his abilities.
-Goten
literally anything is better than being Goten right now. I'd like to see him have a fight where he isn't a half of a part to a fusion with Trunks. I don't think we've ever seen him in a real full fight as Goten and not Gotenks.
-ChiChi
I'd like to see her lighten up for a couple episodes, let her hair down and chill. She deserves it.
-Grandpa Gohan, Bardock and Raditz
just mentioning them would be great
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:17 am

Rip the Jacker wrote:What do you want to see from Goku going forward? Actually, not only Goku, but the Son family in general?
I want Goku to go back to how he was in the original, he was always a fun character but he took things seriously and wasn't a brain dead retard who had 0 personality.

I'd like Gohan to be written like he was during the early Buu arc, he wasn't obsessed with training and he wasn't the strongest fighter but he was still a major threat to anyone who'd attack earth.

Vedil should also be written like she was during Buu.

Chi Chi was nowhere near as annoying as she is now so anything from the manga would do.

I like Pan and Satan the way they are now so they don't have to change.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:46 am

I just want anime Gokuu to be how he is in the manga. Toyotaro is doing a great job. Another reason why I prefer the manga to the anime.

As for the remaining members I want a Chi Chi and Gokuu moment. Chi Chi showing some affection towards Gokuu rather than bitching is all I want. Don't care about Gohan and Goten so they can do whatever they want to with them.

- Travis

fexus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by fexus » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:10 am

I always wonder what does people mean when they say that Goku is more childish? Does those people actually mean why Goku doesn't act like a fully matured adult with responsibility of keeping the world safe? Or is it that he is even more childish than he usually is? When I saw episode 53 without the subs, I actually hated how Goku acts. Like he is really too wacky or something. But after watching it with subs, it shows that Goku actually doesn't act like wacky and stuff. Just that he is over excited. He follows the same way Goku acts. Although he is acting way more intrusive. Maybe that's what setting off all this hate for now. Maybe being a dick makes people like him less. Especially being naively dickish. Maybe people don't like that.
I ask thou, WHY MUST IT BE ME?
Your weakness is your strength.
Are you reading this? If you are, I just want to let you know that I'm a GREAT GUY. :lol:

Shinomori
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinomori » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:52 am

Goku in DBZ had more purpose than this Goku in Super. In the start of Z, when Radditz kidnapped Gohan, Goku didn't care how strong his opponent was. He wasn't jumping up and down at the thought of fighting his saiyan brother, he just wanted his son back and to protect the earth. Goku even took the extreme measure of teaming up with his rival in Piccolo, forming the strongest team at that time. After all was said and done, he further had to go and train to protect the earth from Vegeta and Nappa. Again this wasn't just a Goku who was excited to face stronger opponents, this Goku had purpose with his training and fighting. Now there was definitely times where Goku fully expressed his thoughts about facing stronger opponents in Z (such as when he heard about Frieza and the androids), but all of it was great story telling. It fit within the overall context of fighting them with more purpose than just fighting them.

Fastforward to Super, and pretty much the whole show is about Goku being excited to fight strong opponents. Even in this Goku Black arc (which is starting to take a turn down the negative side for me in terms of storytelling), Goku simply wants to fight Black because he's a quote unquote strong competitor. Who cares if Black wants to destroy humanity, Goku just wants to fight him for his own selfish reasoning. (Even mocking to Vegeta that he had a chance to fight him first) Thus this sets up the whole goofy act with Goku in Super. His only purpose is to fight strong competitors, and every arc is about that very simple idea.

All that said, this was probably the original formula in Dragon Ball, Goku's adventures as a kid. I didn't grow up on the original of Dragon Ball. I imagine for those who have, Super doesn't bother them as much as it does me who grew up on DBZ. Yet even then, the original Dragon Ball was more interesting than what is going on with Super right now. It was interesting to see a kid become stronger with every opponent he fought. Plus we didn't have to worry about power levels in the sense we do now with SSG, SSJB, SSJ2, SSJ3, etc. Again speaking on Dragon Ball, there was a heck of a lot more character dynamic and development of other characters. It wasn't solely about Goku, and the other characters could compete on some level.

dragonballer
Beyond Newbie

Is Goku Too Childish in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by dragonballer » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:41 pm

I think they exaggerated on Goku's naivety. I have never seen Goku like that. He is more childish than when he was kid. :roll:

The same guy who can meditate for days and wait 10 years for a worthy opponent can't stand still for 5 seconds. :think:

I only saw traits of the Goku I knew during his fight with Hit.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Re: do you think dbs goku is too childish?

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:15 pm

Gokuu was serious in Battle of Gods when the Earth was in danger. Since then, all his fights have been with people weaker than him or Hit, which was a friendly tournament match.

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:38 pm

In the words of Warren Zevon, "He's just an excitable boy."

He gets excited over the prospect of fighting a strong opponent, hasn't changed his personality much from when he was a child living with his grandfather, has gotten more mature (especially for when it's necessary), and knows when to be serious. He just has a bit of a cocky streak that led to his undoing in Fukkatsu no F and a little bit of childhood naivety that never wore off (with regard to Monaka). That's how I see it, at least.

I see his childish side as something that's always been around and always will, whether it's refusing to hand over his "grandpa" in exchange for a peek at Blooma's bloomas (See what I did there? Hah... I'm sorry.) or accidentally patting his wife's back powerfully enough to send her flying through the wall or offering...uh...an opportunity to feel a certain part of his rival's wife or letting his excitement for a long-anticipated battle cloud his vision of who Monaka really is (and who isn't Monaka); it's all part of the goofy side to him that partly makes him a lovable character. ...or something like that.
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

dragonballer
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballer » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:50 pm

Black Hawk wrote:In the words of Warren Zevon, "He's just an excitable boy."

He gets excited over the prospect of fighting a strong opponent, hasn't changed his personality much from when he was a child living with his grandfather, has gotten more mature (especially for when it's necessary), and knows when to be serious. He just has a bit of a cocky streak that led to his undoing in Fukkatsu no F and a little bit of childhood naivety that never wore off (with regard to Monaka). That's how I see it, at least.

I see his childish side as something that's always been around and always will, whether it's refusing to hand over his "grandpa" in exchange for a peek at Blooma's bloomas (See what I did there? Hah... I'm sorry.) or accidentally patting his wife's back powerfully enough to send her flying through the wall or offering...uh...an opportunity to feel a certain part of his rival's wife or letting his excitement for a long-anticipated battle cloud his vision of who Monaka really is (and who isn't Monaka); it's all part of the goofy side to him that partly makes him a lovable character. ...or something like that.
RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:Gokuu was serious in Battle of Gods when the Earth was in danger. Since then, all his fights have been with people weaker than him or Hit, which was a friendly tournament match.
It is not about just being serious or lack of common sense. It looks like Goku has ADHD. :P Since when has Goku had ADHD? :eh:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:55 pm

I don't think he's too childish; but then I've been really enjoying Super's Gokû in general. I like him, I think he's cute/endearing.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:01 pm

I think the combination of Goku achieving an new and very powerful form (Super Saiyan Blue), on top of knowing that there are several other universe with extremely strong people, has left a possibly permanent impression on Goku. Now whenever he may be going to another new universe and/or fighting a person he's never seen before, he gets more excited than he usually would be because he's already experienced the fantastic prospect of fighting incredibly strong people from places he has never even thought were possible, and wants to go through that incredible experience again as soon as possible. It's like going to a country, city or town you never knew even existed and you found out that the cuisine there is amazing. Now you suddenly want to travel to all sorts of different places you'd never known of before to get same unexpectedly wonderful experience.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:05 pm

Maybe I should have a problem with the way Goku has been acting. But I just don't.

I know he fools around more than he used to, I can see that, It just doesn't bug me.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

dragonballer
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballer » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:07 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I think the combination of Goku achieving an new and very powerful form (Super Saiyan Blue), on top of knowing that there are several other universe with extremely strong people, has left a possibly permanent impression on Goku. Now whenever he may be going to another new universe and/or fighting a person he's never seen before, he gets more excited than he usually would be because he's already experienced the fantastic prospect of fighting incredibly strong people from places he has never even thought were possible, and wants to go through that incredible experience again as soon as possible. It's like going to a country, city or town you never knew even existed and you found out that the cuisine there is amazing. Now you suddenly want to travel to all sorts of different places you'd never known of before to get same unexpectedly wonderful experience.
it is not like that goku never had gone to new places or knew about stronger people. when he knew how strong kami was,he showed his childish and happy face for 3 seconds and that's all.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:19 pm

dragonballer wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I think the combination of Goku achieving an new and very powerful form (Super Saiyan Blue), on top of knowing that there are several other universe with extremely strong people, has left a possibly permanent impression on Goku. Now whenever he may be going to another new universe and/or fighting a person he's never seen before, he gets more excited than he usually would be because he's already experienced the fantastic prospect of fighting incredibly strong people from places he has never even thought were possible, and wants to go through that incredible experience again as soon as possible. It's like going to a country, city or town you never knew even existed and you found out that the cuisine there is amazing. Now you suddenly want to travel to all sorts of different places you'd never known of before to get same unexpectedly wonderful experience.
it is not like that goku never had gone to new places or knew about stronger people. when he knew how strong kami was,he showed his childish and happy face for 3 seconds and that's all.
I don't think Goku has ever been told something as big as other universes existing. Not to mention the prospect of a multiverse tournament.

dragonballer
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballer » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:35 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
dragonballer wrote:
I don't think Goku has ever been told something as big as other universes existing. Not to mention the prospect of a multiverse tournament.
i doesn't matter how big is the world,goku always knew the world is bigger than he can imagine. and goku never had show interest in sceneries no matters where he goes,it is always about fighting. let's compare this goku with (ugh) GT goku,you don't see the latter with ADHD. IMO, dbz goku would sure get excited about a multiverse tournament,but would no act like a kid with too much cafeine (picture db multiverse).

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:41 pm

It's to the point where he's not the same character anymore, he's turned into a sorry attempt at copying Luffy.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.