Your Wish For The Dragon Ball Franchise

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Your Wish For The Dragon Ball Franchise

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:18 pm

That they'd let me have a chance of writing something for it.

Too much arrogance?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:27 pm

Doctor. wrote:That they'd let me have a chance of writing something for it.

Too much arrogance?
For a fan who understands the series I wouldn't be against that. Many of the writers for the Star Wars novels (old and new) are fans, and they've written great stories that are still loved by the wider fanbase to this day (Timothy Zahn being the prime example).
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:44 pm

But be a writer first and a fan second.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:46 pm

Honestly pretty happy with it now. Watching DB weekly has been very enjoyable. Maybe continuing the movies? That was a load of fun in theaters. Video games are pretty solid as has the merchandise. Well I wish FUNi would hurry and come out with an announcement for Super but I guess it's imminent.

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:36 pm

I'd love to see Super go to the GT universe. SSJ4 vs SSJB would be cool.

[spoiler]also having Nadolny come back to voice Kid/GT Goku would be a godsend[/spoiler]
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:55 am

Too much arrogance?
I want this too. Only I'm too lazy to write, so I wish I also had the ability to make my story ideas magically materialize as manga chapters

My wish for the past: that Toriyama ended his manga with the Cell saga.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:19 am

Wish would be to continue it with the old art and animation with the same atmosphere as the 13 previous Toei movies. Never going to happen though lol.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:24 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:

Too much arrogance?
For a fan who understands the series I wouldn't be against that. Many of the writers for the Star Wars novels (old and new) are fans, and they've written great stories that are still loved by the wider fanbase to this day (Timothy Zahn being the prime example).
Zahn, Stover, and Luceno have all written Star Wars material that is waaaaay better than the original movies.

Yeah I went there :P
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:45 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:

Too much arrogance?
I want this too. Only I'm too lazy to write, so I wish I also had the ability to make my story ideas magically materialize as manga chapters

My wish for the past: that Toriyama ended his manga with the Cell saga.
I'm too lazy to write too due to depression, but I imagine that with an opportunity this big, I'd gain some motivation :P

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:56 pm

Too much arrogance?
A lot of comic and animated writers start out as fans so wanting to do that isn't arrogance at all, in fact you probably know more about the franchise than whoever they have writing for it now.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:24 pm

sintzu wrote:

Too much arrogance?
A lot of comic and animated writers start out as fans so wanting to do that isn't arrogance at all, in fact you probably know more about the franchise than whoever they have writing for it now.
Which can be both good and bad.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:32 pm

Wish for the past: I wish Toei didn't rush into Dragonball Super and instead had a good pre production.
Wish for the future: Gohan becoming relevant in some form.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:42 pm

Past: Toei properly backing up the original cinetape audio masters for DB/Z onto any format that is better than the optical track they have.
Future: A proper complete frame by frame and color corrected remaster of DB/Z/GT/The DB/Z/10th Anniversary Movies in HD on Blu-ray that includes every piece of anime material (excluding commercials for non-DB branded products) and original broadcast audio.

Off topic: @kei17 Anime Maakou asked me to let you know that he'd like for you to get in contact with him because he says he got deleted off your twitter and can't get in touch with you now, he wouldn't say why, only that he really needed to speak with you thanks.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:27 pm

I wanna see Funimation's current actors start screaming like this (Vegeta's part), this, and this. I find it hard to believe none of those guys broke their throats because those were AWESOME. Can't speak French tho.

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:03 pm

kinisking wrote:Wish for the past: I wish Toei didn't rush into Dragonball Super and instead had a good pre production.
I share the same wish for the future but it's hard when the writer seems to not be interested in doing so.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:37 pm

kinisking wrote:Wish for the past: I wish Toei didn't rush into Dragonball Super and instead had a good pre production.
I'm pretty much of the same opinion. Super could use better scheduling even now.
As for Gohan, I personally don't think he's completely done. All it takes is Toei suggesting they do something with him due to his popularity like they've done with Future Trunks and the current arc. If Super goes for a while, I fully expect Gohan to do something relevant again, otherwise why change events of the Resurrection F arc like they did.

Future Trunks' story was done too but they brought him back. Anything could happen at this point.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:49 pm

Kagari wrote:
I'm pretty much of the same opinion. Super could use better scheduling even now.
As for Gohan, I personally don't think he's completely done. All it takes is Toei suggesting they do something with him due to his popularity like they've done with Future Trunks and the current arc. If Super goes for a while, I fully expect Gohan to do something relevant again, otherwise why change events of the Resurrection F arc like they did.

Future Trunks' story was done too but they brought him back. Anything could happen at this point.
I really wish I could believe that but I don't see it happening. I think toriyama is stuck on him being a scholar and Toei might not want to butt in. It is possible but it's a small chance imo
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:31 pm

kinisking wrote:
Kagari wrote:

I really wish I could believe that but I don't see it happening. I think toriyama is stuck on him being a scholar and Toei might not want to butt in. It is possible but it's a small chance imo
Even so Toriyama is the one who wrote him to fight against Freeza's men in Resurrection F. I think that alone shows he's still willing to do something with him.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:28 am

PAST - make Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z import friendly with translations by the English speaking staff of Toei (if the company has one) through subtitles. It would shape the dubs for years to come.

FUTURE - compose a new soundtrack for the entire run of Dragon Ball Kai to make it one and release it alongside the reanimated DB Super. They could be sets with a bonus from the past.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:56 am

Past: Super had a better pre-production and everything has planned better.

Future:
- Super keeps improving and lasts for some more years.
- Better use of other DT Fighters like Gohan, Piccolo and the kids for example.
- Third Movie with Toriyama involvement that involves U7 and U6 characters.
- FT Trunks Buu arc TV Special.
- A Son Goku's statue.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.