Is Hunter X Hunter the next DBZ blow out?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bansho64
I Live Here

Re: Is Hunter X Hunter the next DBZ blow out?

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:28 pm

darkerspare wrote:I'd bet money that its the OST that is boring OP's nephew whether or not he consciously realizes it.
Are you talking about Kai's placement of the Kikuchi tracks or just Kikuchi in general?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:04 pm

Dude he already said its the "nonstop talking". Sure I dont agree but that's what he feels and that's that.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:47 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Dude he already said its the "nonstop talking". Sure I dont agree but that's what he feels and that's that.
Huh? Were you talking to me? (I'm not very good with clarification on the internet)

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:54 pm

Oops! I knew this was going to be a problem! No, I was talking to the guy you were responding to, you are cool. :mrgreen:
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:17 am

How long has hunter x hunter been going on dub wise? My nephew and his friends are into dragonBall (I introduced my nephews to it but I don't know how their friends got into it) and especially sonic. He hates sonic boom though haha. He's probably a bit younger though. My sisters a 5th grade teacher and says her students keep switching between Pokémon and DBZ depending on the year.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:46 am

kinisking wrote:How long has hunter x hunter been going on dub wise ?
Toonami aired the 16th episode last week so they're 4 months in.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:14 pm

No way never, Bleach and Naruto had a chance to grab onto the coattails of Dragon Ball and have some success on Toonami but both were pretty much derailed by their respective filler. It really takes a perfect storm for something to get that big. I feel like if Attack on Titan had come over to the US with the Manga complete and the entire show adapted, something like a 70 episode complete story it is the one show that would've had the ability to break into the mainstream beyond just anime fans. Alas that too never managed to break out amongst casuals because it's been years now and season 2 is still not out and the dub of season 2 will have to wait even longer.

But yeah getting back on topic, no HXH does not have what it takes, I've watched the show and enjoyed it but even at it's peak it didn't come close to how hooked I was on DBZ in my first full watch through.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:03 pm

qjz123 wrote: Bleach and Naruto had a chance to grab onto the coattails of Dragon Ball and have some success on Toonami but both were pretty much derailed by their respective filler.

HXH does not have what it takes, I've watched the show and enjoyed it but even at it's peak it didn't come close to how hooked I was on DBZ in my first full watch through.
I know Z isn't the best anime ever made but there's something about it that always brings people back to it that other anime (including its predecessor and 2 sequels) lack.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:00 pm

sintzu wrote:
qjz123 wrote: Bleach and Naruto had a chance to grab onto the coattails of Dragon Ball and have some success on Toonami but both were pretty much derailed by their respective filler.

HXH does not have what it takes, I've watched the show and enjoyed it but even at it's peak it didn't come close to how hooked I was on DBZ in my first full watch through.
I know Z isn't the best anime ever made but there's something about it that always brings people back to it that other anime (including its predecessor and 2 sequels) lack.
There definitely is and honestly I don't even know what exactly does it but there's just something about it. Where it doesn't matter if you watch it in Japanese or English, it doesn't matter if you watch it in Kai form or the original filled with filler. There's just something special about it that makes it standout.

For me other series have done that for brief moments or arcs but not throughout its entirety and not to the level of DBZ.

And that's coming from someone who isn't really into the series much anymore... even still I remember what it was like watching it all the way through a few years back and that experience stuck with me.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:04 am

qjz123 wrote:
sintzu wrote:

There definitely is and honestly I don't even know what exactly does it but there's just something about it. Where it doesn't matter if you watch it in Japanese or English, it doesn't matter if you watch it in Kai form or the original filled with filler. There's just something special about it that makes it standout.

For me other series have done that for brief moments or arcs but not throughout its entirety and not to the level of DBZ.

And that's coming from someone who isn't really into the series much anymore... even still I remember what it was like watching it all the way through a few years back and that experience stuck with me.
It's the choreography and raw emotion. I still get chills at a lot of the iconic moments. I think it's too early to say super doesn't have the same potential though. Looks like we're in for a long ride and it keeps getting better.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:23 am

Hunter X Hunter may never reach the levels of popularity DB reached in the West cause of reasons already mentioned like high speed internet and streaming services availability due to which the TV audience is declining rapidly.

But it is far better than DB in every way. I remember watching it when it aired and being hyped for every episode. It revived my interest in shonen. I would say it is underrated and maybe always will be in the West.

- Travis

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:10 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Hunter X Hunter may never reach the levels of popularity DB reached in the West cause of reasons already mentioned like high speed internet and streaming services availability due to which the TV audience is declining rapidly.
- Travis
Eh, I feel it's more of the times that Toonami runs their anime. And the fact that American Cartoon Network in general doesn't really air anime more than once a week on Saturday nights. I say this because a lot of other countries air anime like Dragon Ball during weekdays and they generally get a lot of viewers. Heck, I think it was just a couple of months ago that a member named Cure Dragon here posted that Dragon Ball specifically does really well in Mexico on Canal 5 and is a favorite program of the kids over there. Toonami Asia has been airing Super during the week. I think it's specifically us in America that don't really get the anime programming like other countries do. Not saying that our Toonami doesn't get viewers but I feel we could do a lot better. It's a shame. A lot of us didn't get to experience Toonami in its heyday :(
Last edited by Bansho64 on Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:26 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:I would say it is underrated and maybe always will be in the West.
I think it's underrated everywhere including Japan which could've been prevented if the manga didn't stop as much as it did.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:38 am

sintzu wrote:
Saikyo no Senshi wrote:I would say it is underrated and maybe always will be in the West.
I think it's underrated everywhere including Japan which could've been prevented if the manga didn't stop as much as it did.
It has sold more than 65 million copies in Japan alone which is impressive so it definitely is in a much better position in Japan compared to everywhere else. But yeah if not for the hiatuses it had the potential to rival the"Big 3" that is One Piece, DB and Naruto or maybe even surpass them.

- Travis

darkerspare

Post by darkerspare » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:04 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
darkerspare wrote:I'd bet money that its the OST that is boring OP's nephew whether or not he consciously realizes it.
Are you talking about Kai's placement of the Kikuchi tracks or just Kikuchi in general?
Honestly, I'd say Kikuchi in general. The only OSTs I'm a fan of are Yamamoto and some Faulconer Studios. Anecdotally, I've shown Kikuchi scored episodes to my little cousins as an experiment and they've always been bored pretty fast (though not knowing why) compared to Faulconer scored episodes (scored properly via Faulconer Revival Project so not nonstop music) and to a lesser degree Yamamoto scored episodes. I do like Kikuchi for DB though.

swimtrunks
Not-So-Newbie

Post by swimtrunks » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:47 am

Some of you guys are overrating the crap out of DBZ. It's great and all but the reason why Hunter X Hunter will never take off the same way as DBZ did for the late 90's early 00's generation is because of America's airing practices. Naruto is/was pretty much the next DBZ. What screwed Naruto up was Cartoon Network deciding to cancel Toonami. If Toonami had returned to it's normal airing weekdays, Naruto and other cartoons would be popular.

Hunter X Hunter will never have that chance. We can't blame the internet/streaming services because if it wasn't for them, we'd only get to see HXH, Naruto, One Punch Man, and DBSuper once a week. Not to mention the late night run time.

CN screwed the pooch on Naruto. But you know it brought good ratings because CN still aired Naruto at 10 for a few more Saturdays despite no longer having an anime block like Toonami. Then we had to deal with Naruto Shippuden being aired on Disney XD at odd times.

I have no doubt Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, etc... would be popular. Naruto already proved that. That's why Naruto's video games are still pretty popular here in America. It's lucky it came along when it did or else it'd be in the same boat as Hunter X Hunter.

All these anime have potential but do you really expect them to reach the heights of DBZ ratings/sales wise when they're only aired once a week at midnight when the majority of adults, teens, and children are asleep?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:58 am

swimtrunks wrote:
What screwed Naruto up was Cartoon Network deciding to cancel Toonami.

We can't blame the internet/streaming services because if it wasn't for them, we'd only get to see HXH, Naruto, One Punch Man, and DBSuper once a week. Not to mention the late night run time.
What screwed Naruto was its 80+ episodes of filler that happened after the battle with Sasuke, the ratings dropped so much it got Toonami cancelled cause at the time they put all their $$$ into it.

That's the problem, if you like something on TV you're probably going to finish it online instead of waiting for whatever station to finish it.

What made Z so popular at the time simply can't be done again for these reasons :

1- It was one of the 1st anime to become mainstream so it was completely different and new from everything else back then while today, HXH is just another anime and doesn't stand out.

2- It was released before all this political correct nonsense so CN and other channels could air shows like Z & Naruto without any trouble while now, they'd have everyone breathing down their necks.

3- It didn't have much competition from other media while today, video games, comics, TV & blockbusters have gotten extremely popular so it'll have to go up against them.

HXH is a great show and one of the best anime I've ever watched but unfortunately it doesn't have anything going for it that will get it noticed.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:55 pm

Not just the US I don't think Hunter X Hunter is even remotely popular in Europe and other major markets like Australia, New Zealand etc. It is impossible for it to do what DB did which is sad.

- Travis

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:10 pm

Anime can become popular on TV. Space Dandy did well on Toonami and most people saw the dub before seeing it subbed. Attack on Titan, Sword Art Online and Parasyte did well on Toonami. Even Akame Ga Kill got 2 million views on it's first episode and I doubt most people knew what AGK was until it air on Toonami. Anime always been on Saturday nights on TV. Trigun, Inuyasha, YYH and Naruto already had fan subs on the web before they air on TV and the Internet has become mainstream since the early 2000's. Dial up was pretty much dead by 2003. What makes a show do well on TV is good marketing letting people know it's going to out on TV soon.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:26 pm

FWIW I had never seen Hunter X Hunter before it came to Toonami recently and I really love it. It has some DB type feel to it and I really enjoy it. So maybe it is.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"