Simmons/Mandelin Translations' Inside-Jokes

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Simmons/Mandelin Translations' Inside-Jokes

Post by kenisu3000 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:39 am

It's been noticed that there are a few funny instances where Steven J. Simmons (Daimao) will translate a line a certain way because he found leeway for a little inside joke. This doesn't necessarily mean the line is translated wrong, just done using different wording to convey the joke.
Well, it turns out that Clyde Mandelin (Tomato) does the same thing on occasion. I've been re-watching my DragonBall episodes, and I'm currently in the Piccolo Jr. Saga Part 2. In episode 126, Kami-sama talks about how the humans misuse the DragonBalls for their own greedy purposes. The term he uses is "Chijou no mono-tachi", or "Those on Earth". Tomato translates this as "The earthbound humans". Now, until about a year ago, which was before this particular re-watch of this episode, I didn't know that this Clyde Mandelin guy was Tomato all along, so I thought nothing of it. But now, after learning of Tomato's secret identity, I had a good laugh at this inside joke.
You see, Tomato is the co-founder of Starmen.net, the largest fansite for the Super Nintendo game EarthBound, my "other" obsession. So, even though "earthbound" is, IMO, an acceptable translation of "Chijou no", it's still obvious what Tomato had in mind :) It gave me a good laugh.
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

Synapse
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Synapse » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:32 pm

Oh wow lol, nice catch.

What jokes have Daimao done?

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:00 pm

Synapse wrote:Oh wow lol, nice catch.

What jokes have Daimao done?
His title for episode 138, "The Super Weapons Wore Tennis Shoes!! The Artificial Humans Close In on Goku," was a nod to the old Disney movie "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes."

The subtitle that appears on the DVD release is Chris Psaros' if memory serves.

-Corey

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:03 pm

Yeah, he talks about it somewhere on DBZ Uncensored (saying Steve was going to use the title he thought of instead of a literal translation).

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:35 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Yeah, he talks about it somewhere on DBZ Uncensored (saying Steve was going to use the title he thought of instead of a literal translation).
It was in his farewell speech when he set DBZ Uncensored to rest.
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:46 pm

That's cool! I think I noticed that before, but I don't really remember. I wonder if Tomato has any other inside jokes hidden in his subtitles.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:50 pm

I seem to remember having Goku use the term "winky" when he was demonstrating that he knew the difference between boys and girls to the Turtle Hermit. That was a nod to the crowd at alt.fan.dragonball at the time.

And then I screwed it all up by spelling it "winkie." :roll:

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:23 pm

Daimao wrote:I seem to remember having Goku use the term "winky" when he was demonstrating that he knew the difference between boys and girls to the Turtle Hermit. That was a nod to the crowd at alt.fan.dragonball at the time.

And then I screwed it all up by spelling it "winkie." :roll:
Aww, I'm sure they got the joke well enough. ^^; Anyway, kudos to you for being creative with your translations. It's fun hearing about the different puns you use on occasion. :D
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?

Post by 707 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:49 am

Here's a non Pun related question for Mr. Simmons. Maybe its been addressed in the past, but why is Enma-Daio's name subbed as "Yama-Sama" whenever he's mentioned?

Of course, every time I see it I'm reminded of him threatening Kami-Sama with his "Yemma Lock" in the old dub, so it's all good.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:32 am

707 wrote:Here's a non Pun related question for Mr. Simmons. Maybe its been addressed in the past, but why is Enma-Daio's name subbed as "Yama-Sama" whenever he's mentioned?
Probably because the Japanese "Enma" is Yama.
As for the "sama", I have no idea...

Post by 707 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:14 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:Probably because the Japanese "Enma" is Yama.
As for the "sama", I have no idea...
But you clearly hear the voices saying "Enma-Daio." It just strikes me odd that they would subtitle one foreign name for another. I have a feeling there's a more in depth explanation involved.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:37 pm

I think part of the rule Steve was following was names that have an origin based in another language use that language's common romanization. For example, there's also Yi Xing Long instead of Ii-Shinlon.

Did we talk about anything like that in Podcast Episode #0052...? If not, we should have :P.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:21 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I think part of the rule Steve was following was names that have an origin based in another language use that language's common romanization. For example, there's also Yi Xing Long instead of Ii-Shinlon.
Well, yeah, but that's slightly different: "iishinron" (or "shenron", for that matter) stands for the actual Chinese pronunciation of the name.

Here, "enma" is a Japanese reading of the characters (sure, it's an on reading, but still)... like "son gokuu". I'm not sure changing the name back to the original sanskrit was necessary, here... Especially considering the guy works with oni and people who bear the Japanese title of "Kaiô"...

I thought that change was motivated by the whole "Enma -> Emma -> girl's name" issue, myself...?

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:38 pm

It stays "Yama" for YYH in the subtitles as well. At least during the first season. (Only one I have on dvd).

Post by 707 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:59 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I think part of the rule Steve was following was names that have an origin based in another language use that language's common romanization. For example, there's also Yi Xing Long instead of Ii-Shinlon.

Did we talk about anything like that in Podcast Episode #0052...? If not, we should have :P.
At least Yi Xing Long sounds similiar to Ii Shen Lon.

Maybe Funimation thought it sounded too much like Enema, and dropped the scatological hammer, so to speak.

I guess we'll never know. Or rather, we'll never know until Steve Simmons glances at this topic again.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:02 pm

707 wrote:Maybe Funimation thought it sounded too much like Enema, and dropped the scatological hammer, so to speak.
Oh.
Yeah, I guess there's that, too. ^^;

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:13 am

These are the guys that really sold me on "Yama." The "Enma/Enema" thing was just gravy.

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:39 am

Daimao wrote:[Le snippy of le tantalizing proof]

These are the guys that really sold me on "Yama." The "Enma/Enema" thing was just gravy.
ACH! Squashed down like dropped butter! So much for the Enma argument, guys. :lol:

Never mind my totally not-hip analogy. And yes, butter really does squash itself down if you drop it from small heights onto a flat surface. Usually works best if it's around room temperature. Yaaaay, I'm a total loser geek. B:
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?

Post by 707 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:29 am

Daimao wrote:Image

Enema and gravy really shouldn't be included in the same sentence.

This will be my only pointless reply, rule-gestapo.

Oh, and thank you for the insight, Herr Simmons.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:42 am

Daimao wrote:Image

Mmm... gravy.

The funny thing about Japanese translations is that since there is no 1:1 ratio for a LOT of words, it gives a bit of freedom in translations.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!