Do you think Dragon Ball uses too much pink?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Flame Dragon
Regular

Re: Do you think Dragon Ball uses too much pink?

Post by Flame Dragon » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:50 am

Dabura and SSJ4 are red/light red tho.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:55 am

Associating colors to specific genders is the dumbest thing ever IMO.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:55 am

I don't know about that. Light red = hot pink

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:09 pm

I don't see any problem with it. A lot of the bright pinks (and purples, for that matter) show up on alien or magical characters, and they're both colors you don't see a whole lot of here on Earth, some colorful flowers/birds/bugs (and white people when blushing or lightly sunburned) aside... so the implication of "something pink/purple = otherworldly in some way" seems to be there in a lot of cases.

Pink/purple being the "weird/alien" colors (rather than being the stereotypical "girly color" nonsense) works for me!

samuraix123
I Live Here

Re: Do u think dragonball uses too much pink!

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:20 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:No such thing as too much pink!

Can't say I'd never noticed it before, but it's nice to see DB breaking down the great gender color divide. :D
Haha same! I never noticed it until just now lol :lol:
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Post by baneofdemon22 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:48 pm

I never thought of all the pink! I love all the designs, so I would say no. Whatever works for his designs! I'm not a pink fan or anything, but I one of the coolest uses of pink was the Perfect Cell transformation and seeing his eyes change to pink. He looked so cool! I can't think of anything other than Dragonball that I liked pink in. Ned Flanders, Walter White's shirt, and Porky Pig. That's all folks!

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:30 pm

I was disappointed that some of Buu's blasts weren't pink. They should have all been pink to represent his unique ki.
Last edited by RandomGuy96 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by flashback0180 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:37 pm

Marco Polo wrote:Associating colors to specific genders is the dumbest thing ever IMO.

No one said this topic was about gender.

I just found it interesting & strange how the anime kept using pink ...to make them look Badass ,Since pink is one of the least favored colours used in any Shounen manga/anime.

And wanted to know if i was the only one who noticed this. Again like many have pointed this would just be West vs East cultural thing.
Last edited by flashback0180 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:18 pm

I just realized my favorite hero (Oolong) and villain (Buu) are both pink!
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:23 pm

Isnt SSJ4 more Magenta than Pink?
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:22 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:Isnt SSJ4 more Magenta than Pink?
Depends on the ep

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:50 pm

I think Toriyama just likes to throw people of the power trail, as he said he doesn't like you to think the enemy is strong until you see it in action.

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by flashback0180 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:40 pm

Bump

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:06 pm

You're pushing it with Copy Vegeta. I don't see a trace of pink on him.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:07 pm

Nope, as long as its not out of place I'm fine with the usage of pink.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:13 pm

It doesn't bother me at all, but while trying to figure out why they changed Trunks hair color
I noticed that the new Dragon Ball stuff uses a lot of purple/pink colors.

PS: This is not the reason for Trunks' blue hair, no one knows yet.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:15 pm

Lunatic Fringe wrote:You're pushing it with Copy Vegeta. I don't see a trace of pink on him.
Yeah, he's magenta.

I do like pink, and I'm a guy. Apparently it used to be "okay" for guys to like pink, and I always have. Super Saiyan Rose looks great to me, and now I want a Goku Black Figuarts with a normal and Rose head.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:43 pm

I don't think you can ever use too much of a colour unless it's in a noticable way, but this is also what makes certain characters stay in our head. Such a bright colour on somthing you're supposed to find intimidating is unexpected, you'd usually xpect more darker colours, thus it stands out ore subcounsously. Colour is usually seen in a symbolic sense when applied to characters. When I was growing up, Blue and pink were those soft yet confident colours that were usually reserved for good people. Green was supposed to meangreed or disgust. White was purity. Red was anger and so on. Darker shadings of any colour have been used so much for villains across the years that it stands out more when lighter colours are used.

So no, I do not think there is too much pink.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:00 pm

GT does but that's part of its charm. GT has a pretty distinctive color palette IMO.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:01 pm

Marco Polo wrote:GT does but that's part of its charm. GT has a pretty distinctive color palette IMO.
I love GT's color palette. Lots of pastels, lots of pinks, greens, purples and blues. Very '90s, but in a very charming way.

Conversely:
shinmaru wrote:I noticed that the new Dragon Ball stuff uses a lot of purple/pink colors.
The entire Universe 6 arc is like one gross purple mess. I don't think I've ever hated the color design in Dragon Ball that much.