Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Post by Shin » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:43 pm

Scarz wrote:
Fionordequester wrote:Man, even with Kid Bra, we're getting mid-driff shots galore...Anyone else bothered by that :crazy: ?
Uh...

I seriously doubt it was meant to be sexualized.
I think the people sexualizing a child's midriff is what's more concerning Like honestly it's just a stomach
Dragon Ball /Z/GT/Super is a children's show and there's nothing wrong with that.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:54 pm

Shin wrote:
Scarz wrote:
Fionordequester wrote:Man, even with Kid Bra, we're getting mid-driff shots galore...Anyone else bothered by that :crazy: ?
Uh...

I seriously doubt it was meant to be sexualized.
I think the people sexualizing a child's midriff is what's more concerning Like honestly it's just a stomach
Again, it's not the midriff itself, it's the possible implications behind it.

Pan, actually, is similarly creepy BECAUSE of scenes like the ones with Luud in them, or the one where the deer sticks it's mouth up her shirt, or the one where she gets absorbed by Naturon Shenron (and gets surrounded by tentacle-like strands of pink goop). You take THOSE out, as well as the sexualizing poses that Bra made in the last fight, and no, it's not creepy. It is, indeed, little girls being little girls.

But no, those DID exist...and now I've got to wonder if those two examples are extensions of author pervertedness. And in Bra's case...
ParkerAL wrote:So basically, Fionordequester, you're saying Bra is Salagir's waifu?
That is why it's a concern. Because yes, ParkerAL guessed what I meant correctly.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:08 pm

Yeah... I think this whole midriff thing is starting to be blown out of proportion a little...
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:11 pm

SSJ God Gogeta wrote:Yeah... I think this whole midriff thing is starting to be blown out of proportion a little...
Maybe so. Like I said, these are "implications" and "possibilities"; I could just be worrying over nothing, like Chi-Chi does :D .
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:18 pm

SSJ God Gogeta wrote:Yeah... I think this whole midriff thing is starting to be blown out of proportion a little...
How exactly? :| No-one's getting angry or straight up insulting anyone.

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:38 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
How exactly? :| No-one's getting angry or straight up insulting anyone.
It has nothing to do with people insulting one another. I just think it's a little weird that the panel in question is being a bit overly concerned about. It's just a shot of her tummy, what's they big deal?
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TonyTheTiger » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:25 am

Seriously. First of all, once we get to the point that any skin whatsoever in any context can be "sexualized" then may as well throw in the towel right now. It's actually kind of sad because this paranoia has made it difficult for fathers to show affection to their daughters in public without being assaulted and threatened. And second, even if it were sexualized, it's a freakin' cartoon. Priorities, everyone. Goku spent half his childhood waving his dick at the audience.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:33 am

Fionordequester wrote:Again, it's not the midriff itself, it's the possible implications behind it.
You take THOSE out, as well as the sexualizing poses that Bra made in the last fight, and no, it's not creepy. It is, indeed, little girls being little girls.
Sorry to bring up the midriff thing again, but I think you might be looking a little too much into it. It's a tummy, that's it. And the page itself isn't suggesting or even implying "Ooooh look at this pretty little thing!" despite what "sexy" poses ADULT Bra had in the previous chap. She transformed on this page and her clothes are ruffling up and there's a little bit of tummy. Come to think of it, it just looks adorable to me now.

Now, if she was showing off her ankles... well, then she'd be a whore.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:49 am

Yeah, the midriff is not a problem. It's the butt shots that made me go :wtf: I was more surprised than anything. Yeah, I will admit I may have blew it outta proportions. I'm happily imperfect :P

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:42 pm

There weren't even any real butt shots, just a woman drawn with tight short doing kicks and stuff. How is she supposed to look with tight shorts while doing that kind of stuff? I just reread the entire chapter and the pages and the chapter didn't focus on that at all. The only page that shows more of her ass is page 1205 and none of the panels has any kind of unnatural focus on that, it's just how basically she would look doing those movements in those shorts.

Honestly, I think that people are seeing what they "want" to see. Personally, I think that being prudish is way worse than the opposite.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:50 pm

I can't believe there's two pages of this conversation already. :shock:
Not implying that I want it to end or anything, but I'm just saying.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:30 pm

rereboy wrote:There weren't even any real butt shots, just a woman drawn with tight short doing kicks and stuff. How is she supposed to look with tight shorts while doing that kind of stuff? I just reread the entire chapter and the pages and the chapter didn't focus on that at all. The only page that shows more of her ass is page 1205 and none of the panels has any kind of unnatural focus on that, it's just how basically she would look doing those movements in those shorts.

Honestly, I think that people are seeing what they "want" to see. Personally, I think that being prudish is way worse than the opposite.
Umm, I'm sorry? I apologize if I bothered ya.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:41 am

Bansho64 wrote: Umm, I'm sorry? I apologize if I bothered ya.
It was just my opinion on the issue, I wasn't even talking to you specifically, I was talking about the issue and people in general. In short, like I said, my opinion is that people are just seeing what they want to see. I don't think that the pages actually try or go out of the way to empathize her butt or anything like that. I didn't even notice her butt or her belly when I first read the pages, for example.

TonyTheTiger

Post by TonyTheTiger » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:52 am

I just think it's kind of silly to cherry pick over these things. Even playing devil's advocate and granting that Bra's midriff is supposed to be sexual, why does that suddenly cross a line in a series that glorifies people beating the shit out of each other? It would be pretty hypocritical to crucify Dragon Ball for sexualizing Pan or Bra or whoever while not batting an eye at Gohan being essentially a child soldier. Everyone is allowed to have their own "line" and is free to be biased against some content over others but ultimately it's all just cartoons and, while personal preferences are always relevant, is really nothing to moralize over. What I will say is that I personally try to judge DBM according to the standards set by the actual Dragon Ball and I don't see anything in this content that deviates from those established standards.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:48 am

TonyTheTiger wrote:I just think it's kind of silly to cherry pick over these things. Even playing devil's advocate and granting that Bra's midriff is supposed to be sexual, why does that suddenly cross a line in a series that glorifies people beating the shit out of each other? It would be pretty hypocritical to crucify Dragon Ball for sexualizing Pan or Bra or whoever while not batting an eye at Gohan being essentially a child soldier. Everyone is allowed to have their own "line" and is free to be biased against some content over others but ultimately it's all just cartoons and, while personal preferences are always relevant, is really nothing to moralize over. What I will say is that I personally try to judge DBM according to the standards set by the actual Dragon Ball and I don't see anything in this content that deviates from those established standards.
I agree.

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:00 am

It would be pretty hypocritical to crucify Dragon Ball for sexualizing Pan or Bra or whoever while not batting an eye at Gohan being essentially a child soldier.
No, it wouldn't. Hypocrisy is when you do things you tell others not to do or you contradict yourself. There's nothing hypocritical about having different standards for different things. It's very well established in Western culture at least that sexualization of children is worse than showing children engaging in violence.

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:12 pm

(can't edit the previous post)

But to clarify, I don't think this is sexualized. I think that's a ridiculous claim.

TonyTheTiger

Post by TonyTheTiger » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:12 pm

Regarder wrote:
It would be pretty hypocritical to crucify Dragon Ball for sexualizing Pan or Bra or whoever while not batting an eye at Gohan being essentially a child soldier.
No, it wouldn't. Hypocrisy is when you do things you tell others not to do or you contradict yourself. There's nothing hypocritical about having different standards for different things. It's very well established in Western culture at least that sexualization of children is worse than showing children engaging in violence.
Let me clarify, I don't think it's hypocritical to have a personal aversion to one thing and not another. That's actually quite normal. It is, however, hypocritical to bring real world morality into the equation for one type of "bad" content while not doing the same for others.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:58 pm

She looks so savage in secomd to last panel
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:20 pm

TonyTheTiger wrote:I just think it's kind of silly to cherry pick over these things. Even playing devil's advocate and granting that Bra's midriff is supposed to be sexual, why does that suddenly cross a line in a series that glorifies people beating the shit out of each other? It would be pretty hypocritical to crucify Dragon Ball for sexualizing Pan or Bra or whoever while not batting an eye at Gohan being essentially a child soldier. Everyone is allowed to have their own "line" and is free to be biased against some content over others but ultimately it's all just cartoons and, while personal preferences are always relevant, is really nothing to moralize over. What I will say is that I personally try to judge DBM according to the standards set by the actual Dragon Ball and I don't see anything in this content that deviates from those established standards.
But see, there's something crucial that you're missing. A lot of the violence we see in shows like DBZ is either...

1) Explicitly shown to be immoral and wrong (such as when Freeza does it)

2) Completely justified, because our heroes are generally responding to someone attacking them (Raditz attacking Goku and Piccolo)

That's different than, say, Hellsing Unlimited and Genocyber (both anime shows) or Caligula (a...really bad American movie), where the shows REVEL in that kind of violence. Shows like that DO cross a line, IMO; but not Dragon Ball Z.