Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [COMPLETE]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Kai Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS]

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:24 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:So I have some questions about DBZ Recut. Are you going to include an English track? And if so, take advantage of the 5.1 Kai dub audio by isolating the voice and sound effects and replacing the music with the Z Kikuchi placement using the CD releases? I completely understand if you opt not to due to the amount of work required. I just thought it would be a cool thing to have.
Yes, that was my plan from the beginning. The English track will be getting just as much attention as the Japanese this time around.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Kai Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS]

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:11 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
OmegaRockman wrote:So I have some questions about DBZ Recut. Are you going to include an English track? And if so, take advantage of the 5.1 Kai dub audio by isolating the voice and sound effects and replacing the music with the Z Kikuchi placement using the CD releases? I completely understand if you opt not to due to the amount of work required. I just thought it would be a cool thing to have.
Yes, that was my plan from the beginning. The English track will be getting just as much attention as the Japanese this time around.
Nice! I knew you were doing Kai Recut using the Yamamoto version of the dub, but knowing you're going the extra mile for Z as well makes me estatic!
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:32 pm

Me too as I can't wait to hear the Kai dub with the original Kikuchi placement. My version, now called Dragon Ball Z: Revised Manga Edit will be Japanese only, but now I'm not sure if I will release it now with this news. I'll still do it for my own viewing.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:44 pm

This is so cool. If I can get my hands on it I'll post my thoughts.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:18 pm

I haven't had chance to watch though all of Dragonball Recut yet but from what I've watched so far it's perfect.
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:10 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:Me too as I can't wait to hear the Kai dub with the original Kikuchi placement. My version, now called Dragon Ball Z: Revised Manga Edit will be Japanese only, but now I'm not sure if I will release it now with this news. I'll still do it for my own viewing.
Why don't you guys work together?

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:23 pm

Wot wot wuuut

Do I... Must I rewatch some Dragon ball kai 8)
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Quintex

Post by Quintex » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:28 pm

By the way, what's your plan to avoid spoilers in the openings? Personally I always wanted the original openings in Kai (Cha-La Head-Cha-La and We Gotta Power) to give the show a wider variety of opening until the story gets to the point where Kai's openings wouldn't spoil anything, but that's just my idea. You may have something better planned.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:32 pm

Quintex wrote:By the way, what's your plan to avoid spoilers in the openings? Personally I always wanted the original openings in Kai (Cha-La Head-Cha-La and We Gotta Power) to give the show a wider variety of opening until the story gets to the point where Kai's openings wouldn't spoil anything, but that's just my idea. You may have something better planned.
I expect Kai Recut will have the Kai openings while Z Recut will have the Z openings.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:28 pm

I honestly really want to see how you deal with the "whole Goku going SSJ3 against Kid Boo" thing. IIRC in the anime, Goku goes SSJ3 on this little hill in the anime after his SSJ2 fight but in the manga, he goes immediately to SSJ3 right at the same location he teleported to.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:43 am

Are you ready to continue this with the announcement of Kai: TFC with the English and Japanese audio?

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:52 am

Yeah, I agree with simtek. It would be amazing if an update on the project's current status is given especially considering the news about Boo Saga Kai.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:33 pm

I loved DB Recut. I finished it last night. I really wish Toei themselves would do something like this if only for a more accurate English dub to be made.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:52 am

simtek34 wrote:Are you ready to continue this with the announcement of Kai: TFC with the English and Japanese audio?
Helios518 wrote:Yeah, I agree with simtek. It would be amazing if an update on the project's current status is given especially considering the news about Boo Saga Kai.
I haven't stopped working on it, though life does get in the way significantly at times. I'm almost done with the Cell saga of Kai, and I started DBZ Recut but I'm really not very far into it. Turns out that if I want to do DBZ Recut the way I want to do it (i.e. the right way) it's going to take much longer than I thought. But work continues on both projects.

As soon as I have anything ready to put out there, I'll let you know.
DB_Fan1991 wrote:I loved DB Recut. I finished it last night. I really wish Toei themselves would do something like this if only for a more accurate English dub to be made.
I'm glad you liked it! And I feel the exact same way about a more accurate and (more importantly, to me) well acted/produced English dub.

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:34 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
simtek34 wrote:Are you ready to continue this with the announcement of Kai: TFC with the English and Japanese audio?
Helios518 wrote:Yeah, I agree with simtek. It would be amazing if an update on the project's current status is given especially considering the news about Boo Saga Kai.
I haven't stopped working on it, though life does get in the way significantly at times. I'm almost done with the Cell saga of Kai, and I started DBZ Recut but I'm really not very far into it. Turns out that if I want to do DBZ Recut the way I want to do it (i.e. the right way) it's going to take much longer than I thought. But work continues on both projects.

As soon as I have anything ready to put out there, I'll let you know.

That's good to hear. For a second there, I thought someone at Toei got you for being smart. Good luck on the rest of your projects.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:25 am

Here's a serious question, if I may be so bold to ask. Can you use the Kai audio from the English dub of that for the recut of the original Z? Seeing as you agree it's a great dub, & is MUCH better than the original English dub, could you use the audio from the Kai dub instead of the original English dub because that dub sucks ass?
Also, could yoou maybe source the music & sound effects from the DBZ DVDs/Blu-Rays & source the dialogue from Kai if you could to make it even more accurate? I'd love to watch it like that because Kai's dub is just infinitely superior to Z's. Maybe you could get someone to help you with that if you''re not sure how to do that.
Sorry if someone's asked this already. I just wanna know if you'd d something like that.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:50 am

I didn't know such a project was a thing and I'm very excited to watch now, especially with Ajay's praise. I will be sad to see some of the DB Filler go, but if the overall pacing is improved it'll be worth it.

As for the episodes, despite extending some episodes, I did up a rough list of just how many episodes were cut out of each arc.
Son Goku Arc 13>10
21st Tenkaichi Budokai 15>12
Red Ribbon Army 31>18
Uranai Baba 10>7
Solo Training Arc 5>0
22nd Tenkaichi Budokai 18>8 (HOW)
Piccolo Daimo 20>15
Heavenly Training Arc 10>0
23rd Tenkaichi Budokai 16>13
Wedding Dress Arc 5>0
60 EPS of DB cut.
I am so looking forward to seeing what you did with the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai Arc to cut it down THAT much.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

DefinitiveDubs
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DefinitiveDubs » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:02 am

Recut is one of the best fanedits I've ever seen. It's completely unnoticeable that anything's been cut out. (Aside from some obvious crossfades, but that can't be helped) Looking back at the original version for comparison, it's incredible how much was cut out despite it still being cohesive. It's by far the best way to experience the original series and I can't wait for Kai, since the censoring bothers me to no end. I'm interested in how you'll achieve this. Will you just cut to Dragon Box footage?

I did notice that tiny bits of filler were left in, such as E69 on Kame's House, but it was used appropriately and only improved the pacing. I'm guessing it was done more out of necessity than anything.

This Recut also made me realize just how bad the dub truly is. It deserves better, especially compared to Kai's dub. I'm not sure if it's possible, but I'd love to get my own cast together and make an alternate audio track for this someday.

I did notice one small discrepancy in this version with the dub. In E53 @ 11:50, in the dub Goku's Kamehameha goes "Ka...ha..." and the "me" is missing. I was curious so I looked at the original version and it was during the Announcer's filler scene where he goes "me" so I understand why this edit was made, but there are a lot of moments where you can hear the full attack being said with no music. You could've substituted a "me" from those instead of leaving it blank. I know it's the most nitpicky thing ever and it doesn't take anything away from this project, but it's just something I noticed.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:37 pm

Scsigs wrote:Here's a serious question, if I may be so bold to ask. Can you use the Kai audio from the English dub of that for the recut of the original Z? Seeing as you agree it's a great dub, & is MUCH better than the original English dub, could you use the audio from the Kai dub instead of the original English dub because that dub sucks ass?
Also, could yoou maybe source the music & sound effects from the DBZ DVDs/Blu-Rays & source the dialogue from Kai if you could to make it even more accurate? I'd love to watch it like that because Kai's dub is just infinitely superior to Z's. Maybe you could get someone to help you with that if you''re not sure how to do that.
Sorry if someone's asked this already. I just wanna know if you'd d something like that.
Yep, that's been the plan from the beginning.
DefinitiveDubs wrote:Recut is one of the best fanedits I've ever seen. It's completely unnoticeable that anything's been cut out. (Aside from some obvious crossfades, but that can't be helped) Looking back at the original version for comparison, it's incredible how much was cut out despite it still being cohesive. It's by far the best way to experience the original series...
Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoy it. I'm almost curious as to which crossfades you're referring to, because there were several instances where I would encounter something in the original footage that looked a little rough and I would worry that everyone would think that it was my fault when, in reality, it was present in the original product from the get-go. In those few instances, I would try to fix it myself but it was usually something that couldn't be helped. However, it could very well have been me for all I know. I try to avoid crossfading whenever possible and typically only use it as a last resort, but I'm sure I must have used it here once or twice, at least (I really can't remember, honestly).
DefinitiveDubs wrote:...and I can't wait for Kai, since the censoring bothers me to no end. I'm interested in how you'll achieve this. Will you just cut to Dragon Box footage?
That, or Level set footage when it's available. Cutting to Dragon Box footage isn't ideal, but it's better than being censored, in my opinion.
DefinitiveDubs wrote:I did notice that tiny bits of filler were left in, such as E69 on Kame's House, but it was used appropriately and only improved the pacing. I'm guessing it was done more out of necessity than anything.
Absolutely done out of necessity. If it was filler, I tried to cut it. Sometimes I could not. I reviewed the scene you're talking about and I probably left it in because it would have been a noticeably odd-looking cut (though I'm sure I tried to pull it off).
DefinitiveDubs wrote:I did notice one small discrepancy in this version with the dub. In E53 @ 11:50, in the dub Goku's Kamehameha goes "Ka...ha..." and the "me" is missing. I was curious so I looked at the original version and it was during the Announcer's filler scene where he goes "me" so I understand why this edit was made, but there are a lot of moments where you can hear the full attack being said with no music. You could've substituted a "me" from those instead of leaving it blank. I know it's the most nitpicky thing ever and it doesn't take anything away from this project, but it's just something I noticed.
Wow, I'm surprised that no one else has mentioned this yet. I most likely just didn't notice it because, you're right, it would have been an easy fix had I caught it. That, or maybe I did notice and was just too fed up with the English dub at that point to care. Either way, I'll probably fix it and have it available for anyone who wants it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:12 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:

Check your pms, man :)