Has your addiction to the franchise ever NEGATIVELY affected you?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Re: Has your addiction to the franchise ever NEGATIVELY affected you?

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:10 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:I once punched a kid square in the face in elementary school while pretending to be Majin Vegeta. True story.
Did you make him bleed ? I was at a friends house in 7th grade and kid wanted to fight "Dbz style", I punched him right in the nose, made him bleed, and he rub his nose on my friend walls and cost them 500 bucks. What a dick weed.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:17 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:I once punched a kid square in the face in elementary school while pretending to be Majin Vegeta. True story.
Did you make him bleed ? I was at a friends house in 7th grade and kid wanted to fight "Dbz style", I punched him right in the nose, made him bleed, and he rub his nose on my friend walls and cost them 500 bucks. What a dick weed.
I was like in 3rd or 4th grade. The kids at recess used to play "DBZ," in which we pretended to be DBZ characters and fake punched each other (the air). I kind of let one slip and punched a kid square in the jaw. He cried. I got pulled out by teachers thinking I purposely tried to start a fight...
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:17 am

Well, it has limited my liking for other anime, to be honest. I rarely see any other anime besides Dragon Ball.
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:40 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:
I was like in 3rd or 4th grade. The kids at recess used to play "DBZ," in which we pretended to be DBZ characters and fake punched each other (the air). I kind of let one slip and punched a kid square in the jaw. He cried. I got pulled out by teachers thinking I purposely tried to start a fight...
Ah I see. This kid just generally pisses me off.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:55 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Did you make him bleed ? I was at a friends house in 7th grade and kid wanted to fight "Dbz style", I punched him right in the nose, made him bleed, and he rub his nose on my friend walls and cost them 500 bucks. What a dick weed.
fadeddreams5 wrote:I was like in 3rd or 4th grade. The kids at recess used to play "DBZ," in which we pretended to be DBZ characters and fake punched each other (the air). I kind of let one slip and punched a kid square in the jaw. He cried. I got pulled out by teachers thinking I purposely tried to start a fight...
It is wrong that I laughed while reading those stories? Because I did. A lot. :lol:

You crazy kids. :P :clap:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:42 am

Probably. I've spent thousands of dollars collecting Dragon Ball merchandise that I don't need and never use. But I guess that's more of my character trait where I like to have everything that I liked from childhood. I have tons of collections on DVD, but ith Dragon Ball, I have several different releases of the same thing. Other than that, it's just taken so much time to watch it several times, paying attention to the details, etc.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:29 pm

Not at all. I'd drop it in a heartbeat if I noticed it was. I guess I could say I bought certain things that I really didn't need but you can apply that to almost everything. haha
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:47 pm

I think if it affected me it would have been in the early 2000's, my grades dropped here and there and I annoyed the living hell out of my parents wanting the new games and such. As an adult, I don't really think it affects me negatively other than not having anyone to talk about it to outside of the internet. Nothing outside of the usual hobby I suppose! Interesting topic, having a sister topic about it positively affecting someone would be a great companion! :)

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:16 pm

The only thing I could think of is I wasted countless hours (thousands of hours?) watching the series over and over throughout the years, as opposed to watching something else.

But then again you can say the same for any series. I watch all kinds of shows, so any time spent watching one show is taking away time from another just be default.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:30 pm

Nope. I never try to act out anything I saw on TV growing up.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:01 pm

No, it hasn't. When it comes to adulthood, priorities are extremely important. I love Dragonball as well as other things like boxing and the NBA, but there's a time and place for everything.

I rarely have time to myself anymore due to my two jobs, so for me its the opposite. Watching Dragonball more now would positively affect me a lot more than it would negatively affect me. As a matter of fact, Dragonball has helped me cope with losing a parent almost a year ago now, because it helped me keep my mind away from that pain, even though it only lasted for a short while.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:17 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote: Did you make him bleed ? I was at a friends house in 7th grade and kid wanted to fight "Dbz style", I punched him right in the nose, made him bleed, and he rub his nose on my friend walls and cost them 500 bucks. What a dick weed.
fadeddreams5 wrote:I was like in 3rd or 4th grade. The kids at recess used to play "DBZ," in which we pretended to be DBZ characters and fake punched each other (the air). I kind of let one slip and punched a kid square in the jaw. He cried. I got pulled out by teachers thinking I purposely tried to start a fight...
It is wrong that I laughed while reading those stories? Because I did. A lot. :lol:

You crazy kids. :P :clap:
Well for me back in the elementary days, we not only played "DBZ" at recess, but we also played a character in the series. I was in 2nd grade and they told me to be Piccolo because I was the tallest. My reading buddy who was in grade 6 was Vegeta because he was considerably shorter than me. We were looking for Dragonballs in the field. It was winter, we had a snowball fight yelling out "Gallic Gun" and "Special Beam Cannon". I then decided to tackle him into the snow. I was twice his size even thought he was 6 years older than me, I just sat on top of him laughing till the teachers came and stopped it. I had detention for 3 days or so during recess.

This is about the only time Dragonball has negatively affected me, lol.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:01 pm

When I get into something new I become ridiculously obsessed with it. I binged watched the Cell arc for the first time during an important exam session. I somehow got high marks but I had to sleep about two hours a day to make up for the wasted time. Ironically, the Cell arc is my least favourite in the entire series. Also thanks to the stupid timezones I have to stay up really late to watch the Super stream because I simply can't wait.

Besides that, my school books are filled with Goku sketches. Oddly, the teachers don't seem to mind it, but my classmates do :lol:
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:06 pm

Other than blowing a ton of money into the wind, I haven't been affected too much.
Retired.

Nekis13
Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:04 pm

If anything it has affected me more positively than negatively.

Buuuut... There was this one time.

The usual "DBZ" pretend fights and stuff with a couple of neighborhood friends, some that were around 7-8 years old (I was 10 at the time). I don't exactly remember how it happened but we got to a point where we started half-wrestling each other and tried to pin each other to the ground, one of my friends pretended to be Future Trunks and grabbed a broom (or just the stick) and threw at me like a javelin straight to my chest :lol: We kept it going for a while until we made like some sort of small ring where we'd pit each other into 1v1s, some of them would start yelling stuff like "Ki Blast!" or "Kamehamehame-" repeatedly. One of the younger kids got hit pretty hard by mistake and went home crying, we all got grounded that day :lol:

Could've been worse.
stay edgy

DeviantArt Thing: Drawings and stuff, also Dragon Ball

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:40 am

Nekis13 wrote:If anything it has affected me more positively than negatively.

Buuuut... There was this one time.

The usual "DBZ" pretend fights and stuff with a couple of neighborhood friends, some that were around 7-8 years old (I was 10 at the time). I don't exactly remember how it happened but we got to a point where we started half-wrestling each other and tried to pin each other to the ground, one of my friends pretended to be Future Trunks and grabbed a broom (or just the stick) and threw at me like a javelin straight to my chest :lol: We kept it going for a while until we made like some sort of small ring where we'd pit each other into 1v1s, some of them would start yelling stuff like "Ki Blast!" or "Kamehamehame-" repeatedly. One of the younger kids got hit pretty hard by mistake and went home crying, we all got grounded that day :lol:

Could've been worse.
This is so great haha I remember we would fight like this all the time in the yard when we was kids and my brother always was bigger than me and he would use this move called the ''the power bomb'' were he would jump in the air and land on top of you and that crap hurt lol now we always joke about that and I always tell him he's too weak today to do that. we still punch on each other all the time now and I think his wife hates it haha
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:44 am

My boyfriend (now ex) wanted to breakup with me over my nsfw DB tumblr. But that was mostly due to the lewd stuff. Still he claimed that my refusal to close the tumblr down was because of my obsession over the franchise (he's not completely wrong).

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:14 pm

Scarz wrote:My boyfriend (now ex) wanted to breakup with me over my nsfw DB tumblr. But that was mostly due to the lewd stuff. Still he claimed that my refusal to close the tumblr down was because of my obsession over the franchise (he's not completely wrong).
Wow, that sounds terrible. Did you kill, cheat, steal or otherwise cause harm to innocents? No. You made art and he refused to accept that part of you. What a very unpleasant person.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:44 pm

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:
He was hiding his SSJ3.
Then they made up and fused to fight a stronger opponent.

Bagginses
Banned

Post by Bagginses » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:24 pm

JulieYBM wrote:No. Hobbies have nothing to do with problems of behavior.
I don't mean affecting the person in their behavior, but rather more psychologically.