DBZ Back on TV

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

DBZ Back on TV

Post by Kendamu » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:35 pm

Starting this Saturday (April 7th) at around 7PM on Toonami Dragonball Z returns to TV with "Arrival of Raditz". Which version do you guys think they'll show? Ocean dub? Ultimate Uncut? Widescreen?
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:37 pm

My guess is that it'll be the full screen ultimate uncut version, since it's the "TV Broadcast" version.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:52 pm

The "Arrival of Raditz" title seems to point out this'll be the Ocean dub, as the redub title's more along the lines of "The New Threat". I think it kinda makes sense this'll be the Ocean dub (of the first two sagas) considering the redub episodes have some pretty questionable content for a 7 PM airing, hell that 10:30 PM airing two years ago was a one-time thing. I remember reruns that followed switched to the Ocean counterparts after about 10 or so episodes. I suppose with the Ocean version, Cartoon Network avoids "soccer maws" that still lurk by their kitchen phones and quite frankly the slight dragging-on the redub sort of had present during its first airing, which would be more present in a once-a-week airing.

I guess we'll see how it goes. I myself already have all the Ocean episodes on tape and have season 1 (season 2 to come in May), so these airings honestly don't matter to me. Maybe I'll check episode 1 out of simple curiosity to see what CN's going with. At least now some of you guys who were relying on catching the show on television don't have to watch it at 3 AM Saturday morning time-slots. :wink:
14 years later

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:11 pm

If they are playing the Ocean dub it'll be nice hearing those voices again even if the censorship sucks.
(they/she)

Jamstar
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jamstar » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:39 pm

Are they going to be showing an episode every day or only on Saturdays?

Pieter
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pieter » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:47 pm

I hope it'll be Ocean otherwise that version will be nothing but memories.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1oUa0XZ7X8]Take Pride![/url]

Vincent

Post by Vincent » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:49 pm

I like FUNimations dub better.
Purple toupee

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:56 pm

Vincent wrote:I like FUNimations dub better.
The Ocean dub wouldve been good if it didnt have that horrendus music.

NinjaVash

Post by NinjaVash » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:59 pm

If you look at Tvguide.com they have this weeks episode as The Arrival of Raditz and next week's episode as Gohan's Hidden Powers. These are the Ocean Dub's titles but, and correct me if I'm wrong, these seem to be the titles for Episodes 1 and 3 in their titling scheme, Right?
[i]"See the TURTLE of enormous girth,
On his shell he holds the earth.
If you want to run and play,
Come along the BEAM today."[/i]

Vincent

Post by Vincent » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:04 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:
Vincent wrote:I like FUNimations dub better.
The Ocean dub wouldve been good if it didnt have that horrendus music.
Not to mention Vegetas crazy voice. m i rite?
Purple toupee

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:10 pm

Vincent wrote:Not to mention Vegetas crazy voice. m i rite?
No, Brian Drummond is awesome, and is much better suited for Vegeta than Chris Sabat.

Swift
Beyond Newbie

Post by Swift » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:11 pm

Wow, if it really is the Ocean dub airing, I'll definitely watch it. I'll probably record them too. *gathers up blank VHS tapes* I haven't seen the Ocean dub for years, so that'd sure bring back memories. ^_^

Of course, the episode titling could just be a mistake, so I won't get my hopes up. It does seem odd that they'd go back and air something that's now so inconsistent with the rest of the series, in terms of voices, dialogue, music, edits and censors, number of episodes, etc.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:12 pm

Rory wrote:
Vincent wrote:Not to mention Vegetas crazy voice. m i rite?
No, Brian Drummond is awesome, and is much better suited for Vegeta than Chris Sabat.
Now that's the truth. Besides, he says...ehm...oh, nevermind.

must...let...it..out....ITS OVER NINE THOUSSSAAAAAAND!!!!!!!! OH YEA, BRIAN DRUMMOND IS MY HERO!

PythonMonty504
Not-So-Newbie

Post by PythonMonty504 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:18 pm

I was thinking they would start to air the series again seeing as how it was Toonami's tenth anniversary or something a little while ago, and I guess they would honor one of its more popular shows (they also kept promoting during a promo for their said anniversarty.

Also, it's pretty obvious they'll be airing the Ocean dubs, considering how they even had a press release saying they'd pulled the Ultimate Uncuts for good.
Last edited by PythonMonty504 on Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:18 pm

Swift wrote:Wow, if it really is the Ocean dub airing, I'll definitely watch it. I'll probably record them too. *gathers up blank VHS tapes* I haven't seen the Ocean dub for years, so that'd sure bring back memories. ^_^

Of course, the episode titling could just be a mistake, so I won't get my hopes up. It does seem odd that they'd go back and air something that's now so inconsistent with the rest of the series, in terms of voices, dialogue, music, edits and censors, number of episodes, etc.
Well, last time it wasn't on at a totally ridiculous hour (maybe a year ago?) like 7 on toonami (coincidence? same time slot!) it was Ocean. So... yay, I guess.

PythonMonty504
Not-So-Newbie

Post by PythonMonty504 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:23 pm

bkev wrote: Well, last time it wasn't on at a totally ridiculous hour (maybe a year ago?) like 7 on toonami (coincidence? same time slot!) it was Ocean. So... yay, I guess.
Yeah, I remember they did air it then, then got started airing the series daily during Febraury and March (soon replaced by Futurama), then they justs cut the series all together.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:12 pm

Jamstar wrote:Are they going to be showing an episode every day or only on Saturdays?
Just Saturdays, I believe.
(they/she)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:14 pm

The one weekend where I'm actually at work during the evening. >_O
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:21 pm

That's why I have a VCR and that's why some lucky people have Tivo.
(they/she)

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:28 pm

Not here unfortunately. It's some soap opera involving some bald guy and some blonde guy fighting a purple and white alien with a granny accent. The grandma alien is stabbing the little bald guy with his (her?) horns!? Oh yeah...it's DBZ lol. No, I'm not watching it.
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...