Why is King Cold so freakishly large?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Why is King Cold so freakishly large?

Post by Sailor Haumea » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:39 pm

Comparing the heights of U7's known members of Frieza's race.

-King Cold is HUGE.
-Chilled is TINY. Like, really tiny.
-Frieza and Cooler look to be average height.
-Kuriza looks like to be between Frieza and Chilled in height.

Considering King Cold towers over Frieza, even with Frieza in his 2nd form, why is that the other family members are either of average height or below average? Kuriza can be explained as he's a child (for his race, that is), but Chilled looks to be an adult. Do members of that race just get bigger with age or something?
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

Kaboom

Re: Why is King Cold so freakishly large?

Post by Kaboom » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:44 pm

Yeah, I've always suspected that maybe members of their race live for centuries and just continuously grow taller and larger until they die. Kuriza is still very young and short, Freeza is an adult but still relatively young and kind of short, Coola is his older brother and notably taller, and Cold is the elder patriarch of the family and extremely tall. As for Chilled... who knows, he could still have been relatively young himself at the time, maybe.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:49 pm

Kaboom wrote:Yeah, I've always suspected that maybe members of their race live for centuries and just continuously grow taller and larger until they die. Kuriza is still very young and short, Freeza is an adult but still relatively young and kind of short, Coola is his older brother and notably taller, and Cold is the elder patriarch of the family and extremely tall. As for Chilled... who knows, he could still have been relatively young himself at the time, maybe.
Just throwing this out there, Daizenshuu 4 has a comparison of King Cold and Frieza's forms.

Frieza's 2nd form's horns stop around Cold's shoulder pads, while his 3rd form's head stop a little above the pads.

In short, Cold is a head or two taller than Frieza even in his tallest form.

...How does he fit through doors?
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:14 pm

Sailor Haumea wrote:...How does he fit through doors?
He's the king. They make the doors fit him.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:51 pm

Well, Toriyama often introduced characters as duo of tall guy+short guy (Tenshinhan & Chaozu, Nappa & Vegeta, Babbidi & Dabra, Kaioshin & Kibito, etc.), so it's possible that was the case. In universe, I think he's just happens to be taller than the average height for his race (like there are taller earthlings, or even giant, like Gyumao) and, on top of that, in his second form.
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:05 pm

Well if you look at his facial features, he's a lot more older looking than Frieza.

Another reason might be the fact that Frieza created his forms to preserve or control his strength. Frieza is an asexual production of Cold so it makes sense if Cold can create his own forms as well so maybe he manipulated his genetics to his liking; much like another example of Frieza making his body gold out of pure choice.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:07 pm

Captain Strawberry wrote:Well if you look at his facial features, he's a lot more older looking than Frieza.

Another reason might be the fact that Frieza created his forms to preserve or control his strength. Frieza is an asexual production of Cold so it makes sense if Cold can create his own forms as well so maybe he manipulated his genetics to his liking; much like another example of Frieza making his body gold out of pure choice.
Where did it say his race produces asexually?

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:11 pm

Sailor Haumea wrote:
Captain Strawberry wrote:Well if you look at his facial features, he's a lot more older looking than Frieza.

Where did it say his race produces asexually?
If someone would be kind enough to link the interview. I think it's in the Daizenshuu.
Kuro Tenshi

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:53 pm

It originates from a Saikyo Jump Q&A with Ooishi, not a Daizenshuu volume.
Akira Toriyama-sensei Super Q&A!! wrote:About how many of Freeza’s race are there? Are they quite thriving, with a big population?
Freeza is what you might call a mutated life-form. Strictly speaking, Freeza’s father is a mutant with an abnormally high battle power. And, born from his father alone, still in strong possession of the mutant traits, was Freeza.
Accordingly, even saying “Freeza’s race”, these two are the only ones who possess an abnormal [level of] battle power and cruelty.

It is unclear whether Toriyama means Freeza was born from only one parent, or emphasizing that only Cold carried these traits.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:25 am

Nejishiki wrote:It originates from a Saikyo Jump Q&A with Ooishi, not a Daizenshuu volume.
Akira Toriyama-sensei Super Q&A!! wrote:About how many of Freeza’s race are there? Are they quite thriving, with a big population?
Freeza is what you might call a mutated life-form. Strictly speaking, Freeza’s father is a mutant with an abnormally high battle power. And, born from his father alone, still in strong possession of the mutant traits, was Freeza.
Accordingly, even saying “Freeza’s race”, these two are the only ones who possess an abnormal [level of] battle power and cruelty.

It is unclear whether Toriyama means Freeza was born from only one parent, or emphasizing that only Cold carried these traits.
Thank you.
Kuro Tenshi

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:06 pm

Nejishiki wrote:It originates from a Saikyo Jump Q&A with Ooishi, not a Daizenshuu volume.

An interesting interpretation of Cooler would be that he hates Frieza so much because Cooler wasn't born with the mutation. Yes, he was strong for his race, but to catch up to his father and brother, he trained harder.

However, no matter how hard he tried to catch up, his father still pampered Frieza (instead of him, the older brother) because Frieza didn't have to train to keep up.

Without training, Cooler would be a 7, Frieza a 9, and Cold a 10.

It's an interesting idea that could explain why Cooler has a disdain for Frieza.