Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Arian
Banned

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Arian » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:43 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:I can't reveal the source or the specific network in question (here or in PMs, to be clear), but the producers--whoever they are--apparently did approach a particular Canadian TV network on and off for several years to try and get the show on the air, only to give up when it became clear this network just wasn't biting. So, between clues and actual statements from those involved, all signs really do point to uninterested Canadian TV networks as being the main reason we never saw this dub.
There are only two non-educational English Canadian children's broadcast companies, and only one has had a history with Dragon Ball. It's not exactly a mystery to find out who you're referring to. :wink:

That's why I'm going to suggest people send their programming suggestions here. There's a far greater chance an actual human being will read it.
YTV, those bastards. :x

CHRGD is a great option for Kai. I'm definitely going to send an email to them. But I'm worried that they're going to deem it to adult for the "Family" channels.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:01 pm

Arian wrote:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:I can't reveal the source or the specific network in question (here or in PMs, to be clear), but the producers--whoever they are--apparently did approach a particular Canadian TV network on and off for several years to try and get the show on the air, only to give up when it became clear this network just wasn't biting. So, between clues and actual statements from those involved, all signs really do point to uninterested Canadian TV networks as being the main reason we never saw this dub.
There are only two non-educational English Canadian children's broadcast companies, and only one has had a history with Dragon Ball. It's not exactly a mystery to find out who you're referring to. :wink:

That's why I'm going to suggest people send their programming suggestions here. There's a far greater chance an actual human being will read it.
YTV, those bastards. :x

CHRGD is a great option for Kai. I'm definitely going to send an email to them. But I'm worried that they're going to deem it to adult for the "Family" channels.
Maybe, maybe not. In all likelihood, the footage they have is the edited footage used for the Nicktoons airing of the FUNimation dub, so a lot of the more objectionable stuff, in all likelihood, been removed from this TV-only dub.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:03 pm

OK, so I decided to message Lee Tockar via Facebook about the cancellation issue. When I asked Tockar if there was any truth to it he said:

"Not as far as I know"

Then I proceeded to ask if he's allowed to say whether or not it will be released, and he responded with:

"Not allowed to say but I have heard it is coming :)"

I want to be cautiously optimistic here because reading between the lines it sounds like Tockar is saying he was informed this dub will be airing, and he is not allowed to say when that will be.

On the other hand there is the scenario previously mentioned where he was cleared to annonce he was Frieza because the dub was cancelled and he had no obligation to keep it a secret, but if that was the case why would he say on more than one occasion that he was told the dub is still coming?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:That's why I'm going to suggest people send their programming suggestions here. There's a far greater chance an actual human being will read it.
Thanks, I will definitely send them a suggestion for the Ocean Group dub of "Dragon Ball Kai".
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:19 pm

*Sigh* At least we got some positive energy going about this project to counteract the negative.

Good looking out, @Dragon Ball Ireland! :)
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:22 pm

It would also be pretty redundant to even bother announcing he's playing Frieza if they informed him the dub was never coming out. He seemed excited when he announced it this time which leaves me hopeful. I doubt he'd go out of his way to make that kind of announcement a second time without at least being a little sure of something.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:23 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:OK, so I decided to message Lee Tockar via Facebook about the cancellation issue. When I asked Tockar if there was any truth to it he said:

"Not as far as I know"

Then I proceeded to ask if he's allowed to say whether or not it will be released, and he responded with:

"Not allowed to say but I have heard it is coming :)"

I want to be cautiously optimistic here because reading between the lines it sounds like Tockar is saying he was informed this dub will be airing, and he is not allowed to say when that will be.

On the other hand there is the scenario previously mentioned where he was cleared to annonce he was Frieza because the dub was cancelled and he had no obligation to keep it a secret, but if that was the case why would he say on more than one occasion that he was told the dub is still coming?
This just gets more confusing. But if we ever see this dub, then I hope we see it uncut.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:23 pm

Well, maybe this thing is coming. I hope the replacement score is good. If it's anything made by a live orchestra, there's a chance I'll love it. If anything, this thread ain't going down anytime soon.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:49 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:This just gets more confusing. But if we ever see this dub, then I hope we see it uncut.
Ocean Studios appeared in the credits of the Nicktoons-edited version as being the ones responsible for the edits for the Nicktoons airing of the FUNImation dub. Between that and the Ocean dub being a TV-only dub, there's almost zero chance of it being uncut.

As for what Lee Tockar said...I don't mean to be the pessimistic one here, but it's worth remembering that voice actors are just not very reliable sources of release dates. I don't mean that in a bad way, and I'm not at all suggesting that Tockar was lying. I just mean that actors are only responsible for what they're paid to be responsible for, which in this case means acting. They are never given info on release dates, and only find out when something's coming out when the rest of us do: when the trailers and promos hit. So, I'm certain he didn't have any bad intentions, but I'd take his words with a grain of salt...he's just not in a position to know, unless the info was somehow leaked to him (which, hey, it might have been...but I doubt it).
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:59 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:As for what Lee Tockar said...I don't mean to be the pessimistic one here, but it's worth remembering that voice actors are just not very reliable sources of release dates. I don't mean that in a bad way, and I'm not at all suggesting that Tockar was lying. I just mean that actors are only responsible for what they're paid to be responsible for, which in this case means acting. They are never given info on release dates, and only find out when something's coming out when the rest of us do: when the trailers and promos hit. So, I'm certain he didn't have any bad intentions, but I'd take his words with a grain of salt...he's just not in a position to know, unless the info was somehow leaked to him (which, hey, it might have been...but I doubt it).
Normally I'd agree but he said that he wasn't allowed to say when it's coming. That means that something must be going on that we don't know about, and that Tockar knows what that is, but is forbidden from telling us.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:04 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:As for what Lee Tockar said...I don't mean to be the pessimistic one here, but it's worth remembering that voice actors are just not very reliable sources of release dates. I don't mean that in a bad way, and I'm not at all suggesting that Tockar was lying. I just mean that actors are only responsible for what they're paid to be responsible for, which in this case means acting. They are never given info on release dates, and only find out when something's coming out when the rest of us do: when the trailers and promos hit. So, I'm certain he didn't have any bad intentions, but I'd take his words with a grain of salt...he's just not in a position to know, unless the info was somehow leaked to him (which, hey, it might have been...but I doubt it).
The reason I brought this to Tockar's attention is because we were speculating, based on what Kirbographer said that perhaps he could have posted that Facebook status if the powers that be informed him that the dub was definitely cancelled. I know voice actors aren't told about release dates, but I asked Tockar to gauge in a roundabout way whether or not there were NDAs, which would theoretically be unnecessary if the dub was not happening.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:26 pm

I hear the replacement score is meant to be amazing. Akin to DC animated shows like Justice League or Teen Titans :/

I really value Lee Tockar's words because he's pushed beyond acting, he's interested in production himself and he seems savvy on that side of things. I trust he knows what he's doing.

Interesting side note, I e-mailed Teletoon and got an automated response and it highlighted some new shows they are bringing to the channel:

"This month, enjoy new shows on TELETOON!

We’re adding Masha & the Bear, Beyblade Burst and new episodes of your TELETOON favourites like Alvinnnn!!! And the Chipmunks, Wabbit, Yu-Gi-Oh and more!"

It's slim pickings, but it's a start? Remember to always specify that we are after the Ocean dub :mrgreen:

Edit: Also, not to get mystical and stuff, but I remember some time ago, a user on here made a fun bet that when this thread reached a certain number of pages, the dub would be released. Needless to say this didn't come to pass. But way back when I saw it, I made a bet of my own that it would happen if we reached page 186 :L A few days ago I was gutted because I thought there was no chance of that happening anymore haha.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:50 pm

I don't want you guys to hype up the dub's soundtrack. We know who's doing it. They recycle music tracks from unrelated shows. There's a good chance any of Kai's original music can be heard in Scan2Go or LBX.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:02 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:I don't want you guys to hype up the dub's soundtrack. We know who's doing it. They recycle music tracks from unrelated shows. There's a good chance any of Kai's original music can be heard in Scan2Go or LBX.
They're probably not recycling Megaman music anymore. And why didn't they make original music for those shows instead of recycling music from that cartoon? Are they so proud of it that they think it's the best score for a cartoon?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:27 pm

Um, nope. The recycled music was out of rushed necessity, there's a brand new and original score that's been composed for this. And according to one of the actors, the score sounds bad ass. Not trying to hype it up as everyone has their own tastes, but this is what I was told.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:46 pm

SX10 wrote:Yu-Gi-Oh and more!"

It's slim pickings, but it's a start? Remember to always specify that we are after the Ocean dub :mrgreen:
I would never do this, because it would come across as rude, but man would I love to request the Ocean dub and include with it some ratings comparisons for when Kai was still on Toonzai/Vortexx along with Yu-Gi-Oh...because Kai had consistently higher ratings. So it's like...if they're considering Yu-Gi-Oh, why not Kai?

I mean, I can think of one semi-good reason, which is that Kai is just not a new thing anymore, but...still.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:52 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:I don't want you guys to hype up the dub's soundtrack. We know who's doing it. They recycle music tracks from unrelated shows. There's a good chance any of Kai's original music can be heard in Scan2Go or LBX.
I hear what you're saying, we shouldn't go in expecting the replacement music to blow us away but in comparison to LBX and Scan2Go I think Kai seems to have a much higher budget behind it. I'd wager they'll use new music this time.
8000 Saiyan wrote: They're probably not recycling Megaman music anymore. And why didn't they make original music for those shows instead of recycling music from that cartoon? Are they so proud of it that they think it's the best score for a cartoon?
They wouldn't have had the time to create a new soundtrack from scratch, they had to keep up with Funimation's Z dub and Cartoon Network's demand for new episodes. Keep in mind that during the Saban dub they weren't even the one's handling music for the show, that was left to Saban and Shuki Levy. For the Westwood dub they had to cover everything themselves and do it at a rapid pace, in spite of that they still managed to add a couple new tracks and the addition of the Monster Rancher music certainly helped when they got to the Buu arc. I think they did a good job with it all things considered, under a different company it probably would have sounded far worse.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:58 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:

I would never do this, because it would come across as rude, but man would I love to request the Ocean dub and include with it some ratings comparisons for when Kai was still on Toonzai/Vortexx along with Yu-Gi-Oh...because Kai had consistently higher ratings. So it's like...if they're considering Yu-Gi-Oh, why not Kai?

I mean, I can think of one semi-good reason, which is that Kai is just not a new thing anymore, but...still.
To add to that you could make an argument Yu-Gi-Oh is no longer a "new thing" unless Teletoon is using 5Ds.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:03 pm

Yugioh sells merch, so does Beyblade. That's probably the reason.

It's most likely why Toei are planning to roll out toys for Super's eventual release. I suppose it makes the show easier to sell to the networks for whatever reason. Maybe they offer them residuals or something.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:05 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:

Hahaha, you never know, it could definitely help :p I'm just happy to finally see fans e-mailing these people and letting them know we want to see this show!

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:05 pm

I was actually asking why they didn't make music for Scan2Go and LBX instead of recycling Megaman music for those shows. But my best guess is because of money reasons.

I guess we'll have to endure another edited Ocean DBZ dub again. And Drummond said that he wanted to dub Kai uncut...pity we'll never see a full uncut version of Kai with some of the finest Canadian voice actors.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.