What can damage a Saiyan?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SilverArmada
Beyond Newbie

What can damage a Saiyan?

Post by SilverArmada » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:13 pm

So I looked around for a similar topic and found one, though it's old so I'm going to link just for reference: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26621& This thread deals specifically with weapons, so I'd like to broaden the scope a bit.

What can damage a Saiyan? What kinds of forces can damage a Saiyan? And how do they inflict damage? For example, if a Saiyan is in a spaceship that crashes, what kind of force would be needed to damage them? In this case, we can stick to DB Saiyans who have reached Super Saiyan, but let's assume they are not transformed when potentially injured.

Could bombs, even nuclear weapons damage Saiyans? If not, how do they avoid it? Is it a matter of them using their ki as a barrier on their body? I don't mean like the shield attacks that Android Seventeen has used.

Sorry if what I'm asking is unclear. I'm working on a fanfic and trying to determine basically at what point conventional weapons and/or forces in the universe that are not ki-based can damage a Saiyan who can reach SSJ. I know it's just a dumb fanfic but I try to maintain some logical consistency, though I've had many folks disagree with me so maybe I should quit trying, LOL. :lol:
Call me Silvia (can't change username, darn!) <3
FF.net .:. AO3.org .:. Nightshade Avenue (writing LJ)

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: What can damage a Saiyan?

Post by theherodjl » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:04 pm

Theoretically, so as long as a Saiyan is too relaxed and unprepared to withstand a general hit then something as simple as a thrown rock can bruise, or at least put a red mark on a Saiyan.
Though once they get serious and power-up against an incoming attack then they can handle anything short of a planet's destruction.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:19 pm

Poison, the common cold, a laser gun.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:43 pm

It depends how much ki they have, and how much is being used for defense.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:59 pm

precita wrote:Poison, the common cold, a laser gun.
Glass... Aging... Lack of oxygen... Explosion of a planet...
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Friezacooler
Regular

Post by Friezacooler » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:21 am

Everything it takes to kill a regular human in an instant the saiyan's body can survive without powering up

In before someone mentions an smoke grenade: that one only affected Samusa which means his body and his soul can't handle it unlike saiyan's who never had such issues.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:18 am

Intense cold can make them loose control of their ki and being frozen can completely immobilize them.

SilverArmada
Beyond Newbie

Post by SilverArmada » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:03 pm

A few people mentioned a planet exploding can damage a Saiyan - are they hurt by the explosion or are they hurt/killed because they can't survive in space?
Call me Silvia (can't change username, darn!) <3
FF.net .:. AO3.org .:. Nightshade Avenue (writing LJ)

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:10 pm

SilverArmada wrote:A few people mentioned a planet exploding can damage a Saiyan - are they hurt by the explosion or are they hurt/killed because they can't survive in space?
It's always implied to be the latter whenever the planet is at risk. Don't mind the first half of that post.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:16 pm

Outside of having greater power than a regular human, the Saiyans have the same physical limitation and weakness that a real life human has, so yeah, heat/cold, lack of oxygene, drowing, cuts, illness, starvation, poison.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:40 am

Apparently a ring that shoots lasers.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:51 am

Well going by the Namek Saga, when the planet was minutes away from exploding Frieza still made 2 or 3 comments referring to the fact that Goku not being able to breathe in space is what was going to kill him.

So a planet, seemingly one that was bigger than Earth, exploding in Goku's face wasnt necessarily going to be the thing that did him in.

And seeing as how a chopped in half, battered, no energy at all Frieza survived the explosion then surely Goku would.

Then there's also the fact that Beerus can casually tap his nail and destroy half a planet but he can get pretty serious and punch Goku right in the face and his head is still attached to his neck and he's able to keep going.

So no gun, bomb or sword should really be able to do squat to him. You'd need a weapon that could at least destroy Earth to even have a chance at being able to hurt him. Maybe if you had a Death Star and you fired it at him, then maybe he might feel that.

But even as a 12 year old, he was hit over the head with an axe so hard it broke. He was shot at with a pistol, shot at with a revolver, shot in the back of the head with a hyper cannon, shot in the face with a Sniper Rifle, shot at with a Rocket and he survived it all.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:56 am

Someone being more powerful can damage a saiyan like Goku and Vegeta. :lol:

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:46 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:Intense cold can make them loose control of their ki and being frozen can completely immobilize them.
You are a genius
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:51 pm

Their wives.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

saunasolmu
Beyond Newbie

Post by saunasolmu » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:00 pm

Well, Goku was tanking blows that were powerful enough to destroy the entire universe. Thus basically any amount of conventional force, from bombs to supernovas, shouldn't have any effect whatsoever.

Of course the series is very inconsistent with this kind of stuff. But one thing it's consistent with is that Dragon Ball characters, from pretty early on, are immune to all kinds of conventional weaponry that humans in DB earth possess.

It's also pretty hard to say when they constantly tank nuke-esque blasts like they're nothing, but can get harmed by a few hundred g of gravity. Scientifically that doesn't make any sense.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:49 pm

Landing their head on a rock.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:15 pm

A laser gun definitely would: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djE_tkBACl4

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:01 pm

Nejishiki wrote:
SilverArmada wrote:A few people mentioned a planet exploding can damage a Saiyan - are they hurt by the explosion or are they hurt/killed because they can't survive in space?
It's always implied to be the latter whenever the planet is at risk. Don't mind the first half of that post.
Odd thing there though is everybody assumed Vegeta, Trunks, and Goten was dead as soon as Freeza destroyed the Earth. In Whis and Beerus' case they knew of Whis' time rewind (iirc Goku was told of it but forgot) so no big deal but everybody else just went welp he dead.

saunasolmu
Beyond Newbie

Post by saunasolmu » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:01 pm

Freeza9000 wrote:A laser gun definitely would: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djE_tkBACl4
Only because he had his guard completely down.

That'd bounce off Namek Goku's chest if he was in fighting mode. There's no reason to bring it up, really.