Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by thomas1up » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:51 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:What characters do you guys think should be recasted?
Trunks first and foremost, his voice actor sounds lifeless, and way too old for someone who should only be in their young twenties (?), I think his Blue Water actor does a MUCH better job which is ironic since BW is the budget studio.

I'd also love to see a recast of Android 16, his voice was pretty damn awful too.
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:52 pm

Like I said earlier, I would like Paul Dobson as Cell because Paul Dobson is just awesome.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:00 pm

thomas1up wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:What characters do you guys think should be recasted?
Trunks first and foremost, his voice actor sounds lifeless, and way too old for someone who should only be in their young twenties (?), I think his Blue Water actor does a MUCH better job which is ironic since BW is the budget studio.

I'd also love to see a recast of Android 16, his voice was pretty damn awful too.
I didn't mention these two because I thought it goes without saying that they need to be replaced. XP
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:29 pm

thomas1up wrote:Trunks first and foremost, his voice actor sounds lifeless, and way too old for someone who should only be in their young twenties (?), I think his Blue Water actor does a MUCH better job which is ironic since BW is the budget studio.

I'm sure Android 16 has been recast since McNeil is only playing three characters.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:33 pm

I'm not really hoping for anyone to be recast, I'm mainly interested in who they cast in roles such as Bardock (who we've never heard an Ocean interpretation of) as well as who they got for characters like Recoome (who's actor can no longer return). I'm also curious to see if Terry Klassen and Ted Cole returned for this dub as they've not been involved in any anime projects for a very long time.

I will say this, if Klassen has retired from anime dubbing my next best choice for Krillin would definitely be Sam VIncent doing a variation of his Edd/Hare.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:10 pm

NitroEX wrote:I'm not really hoping for anyone to be recast, I'm mainly interested in who they cast in roles such as Bardock (who we've never heard an Ocean interpretation of) as well as who they got for characters like Recoome (who's actor can no longer return). I'm also curious to see if Terry Klassen and Ted Cole returned for this dub as they've not been involved in any anime projects for a very long time.

I will say this, if Klassen has retired from anime dubbing my next best choice for Krillin would definitely be Sam VIncent doing a variation of his Edd/Hare.
For Bardock, I can see either Paul Dobson or Don Brown (He played Inuyasha's father, so there's a chance he'll play him since Cox is Goku), and for Recoome, someone like Colin Murdock or Mark Gibbon.

If Klassen has returned for Krillin, then he should play him like he did in the Saban dub. He was intolerable in the Westwood dub. If Ted Cole doesn't return, then I'd go with Michael Adamthwaite.

I think the recasts for Bulma and Raditz will be interesting.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:45 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I think the recasts for Bulma and Raditz will be interesting.
How do you know Jason Gray-Stanford isn't returning as Raditz? I'm pretty sure he's still in Vancouver.
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:54 pm

Arian wrote:How do you know Jason Gray-Stanford isn't returning as Raditz? I'm pretty sure he's still in Vancouver.
I know that he still lives in Vancouver, but he has retired from voice acting and only does on-camera work now. He didn't even return for Gohan's flashback of his attack on Raditz, and was replaced by Alistair Abell.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:03 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Arian wrote:How do you know Jason Gray-Stanford isn't returning as Raditz? I'm pretty sure he's still in Vancouver.
I know that he still lives in Vancouver, but he has retired from voice acting and only does on-camera work now. He didn't even return for Gohan's flashback of his attack on Raditz, and was replaced by Alistair Abell.
Actually that was Doug Parker who played Raditz in the flashback, and I know his track record doesn't support him returning but he might have taken this voice role.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:15 pm

Arian wrote:Actually that was Doug Parker who played Raditz in the flashback, and I know his track record doesn't support him returning but he might have taken this voice role.
Brian Drummond said on his Twitter that it was Abell who played Raditz on that flashback.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:46 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Arian wrote:Actually that was Doug Parker who played Raditz in the flashback, and I know his track record doesn't support him returning but he might have taken this voice role.
Brian Drummond said on his Twitter that it was Abell who played Raditz on that flashback.

Then forgive me. I thought I read somewhere that it was Doug Parker. And you have to admit, it does sound like him.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:12 am

If the price is right, I'm sure they could get some actors back. Hell, they got Henderson back which we are taking for granted (if this ever gets aired)!
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:20 am

My best guess is that the new voice of Bulma is one of the most popular Ocean voice actresses.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:51 am

SX10 wrote:Um, nope. The recycled music was out of rushed necessity, there's a brand new and original score that's been composed for this. And according to one of the actors, the score sounds bad ass. Not trying to hype it up as everyone has their own tastes, but this is what I was told.
Yeah well, that's good and all, but will be ever be able to hear it...?

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:05 am

Does anyone know who voiced Trunks in the last 3 Z episodes? I think he makes for a good Trunks. In fact looking through the Westwood dub the quality has GREATLY improved towards the end, just wish it was that way throughout the whole thing.
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:13 am

thomas1up wrote:Does anyone know who voiced Trunks in the last 3 Z episodes?
That's Alistair Abell

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:21 am

NitroEX wrote:
That's Alistair Abell
Seriously? He sounds so much better than he did in the Androids arc. If he can do a performance like that in Kai then I'd be happy for him to stay.

Here's a video of comparison.

Android arc Trunks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_OHe6GKLKY

End of Z Trunks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbst9xS ... e=youtu.be
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:52 am

I mean.. I can hear he's using a slightly different pitch in both clips but I would never think it's a different voice actor or anything. EoZ Trunks is also a younger and happier version of the character so it could've just been him making a different acting choice or perhaps a different director (notice how Brad Swaile is slightly deeper and older sounding there?).

The context of both clips are also wildly different not to mention the difference in quality of both recordings. It's not really a great comparison.

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:17 am

NitroEX wrote:I mean.. I can hear he's using a slightly different pitch in both clips but I would never think it's a different voice actor or anything. EoZ Trunks is also a younger and happier version of the character so it could've just been him making a different acting choice or perhaps a different director (notice how Brad Swaile is slightly deeper and older sounding there?).

The context of both clips are also wildly different not to mention the difference in quality of both recordings. It's not really a great comparison.
Yeah, sorry about that, high quality recordings of the Cell Saga seems to be incredibly hard to find. You're right about the context so here's a scene when Future Trunks is more relaxed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cnMuhb ... e=youtu.be

I can definitely hear the similarities here though I'll still stick to my belief that the direction and voice was much better in the EoZ clip.
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:28 am

thomas1up wrote:
NitroEX wrote:
That's Alistair Abell
Seriously? He sounds so much better than he did in the Androids arc. If he can do a performance like that in Kai then I'd be happy for him to stay.

Here's a video of comparison.

Android arc Trunks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_OHe6GKLKY

End of Z Trunks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbst9xS ... e=youtu.be
That is a huge difference. The latter Westwood dub performances really make me wish Ocean could have done GT, I'm sure with the improved production values they would have done a fantastic job with it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: