DragonBall Video Game Retrospective on AOL

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Meri
The Wife

DragonBall Video Game Retrospective on AOL

Post by Meri » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:13 am

My mom emailed me to tell me this was featured on AOL's main page. That's right. My MOM. Some fan I am!

In any event, I'm at work right now, and can't watch the video, but as near as I can tell, they reference some of the old school Japanese games as well as the recent games, too. Hopefully it's a decent and informative video! I'll have to check it out with Mike after work.

http://us.video.aol.com/video.index.adp ... id=1878251

TAS
Beyond Newbie

Post by TAS » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:01 am

Just finished watching it.

It's fairly simple for the most part covering all the US released games starting with GT Final Bout and going all the way up to Shin Budokai 2, but nothing more then a sentence or two is said about any of the games. It basicly just tells what all DB related games have come out in the US and when, along with what the Japanese names are/were for some of the games.

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:16 am

Heh... He said 'Sparkling'... :lol:

But I've never considered the ordering of Dragonball games to be confusing, and certainly not the 'most confusing thing ever created by man'. :?

TAS
Beyond Newbie

Post by TAS » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:38 am

^Ditto, and not to brag, but the little Intro/History thing I put up in my Shin Budokai (2) review thread had more history or info then that entire thing, and my thing was just about the more recent Dimps and Spike games.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:09 pm

Times like this I'm glad I have AOL, letting it stream, it's looking pretty classy. Meri, tell your Mom we think she's awesome for this find! I know EvilGamerX will love the first line by GameDaily, "Screw Naruuto". :lol:

EDIT: Watching this, I gotta say, what's up with the narrator guy? He can't pronounce "manga" right and he's mispronouncing "Sparking!" as "Sparkling". I thought the "Naruuto" was just for kicks, but this guy doesn't seem to have much a clue of the real world of this franchise. He also pointed out an unproven notion that the cell-shaded graphics in the Budokai games are ripped from the manga, I doubt that was actually done (and the first game for the Ps2 wasn't cell-shaded at all). Still, decent montage.

2nd EDIT: Okay, one major gripe with this review now that I've seen the full length. They make it a point to show a lot of Sagas footage, yet in the process don't make one mention of the game at all. However, they do make it a point to give all the other American-made games a respective reference. WTF? :?
14 years later

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:08 pm

I have a theory. My theory is that they did all of their research only on wikipedia.org. Everything they mentioned is on the game's respective wikipedia pages, from Buu's Fury being known as Legacy of Goku III, to Budokai Tenkaichi originally being known as "Sparkling!", aka Sparking!, and being developed by a different developer, to Ultimate Battle 22 being released eight years after it's Japanese release. The reason they don't go in depth would be because Wikipedia doesn't go in depth as far as the Dragon Ball Z game articles go. I don't get why they used the European covers for some games though. I don't hate Europe or anything, I just think it would make more sense for America Online to use the American covers.
­

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:47 am

Oh c'mon...."Sparkling"? They used a pic of the Japanese Cover Art and yet he still adds in an "L".
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Kay
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kay » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:17 pm

Both "Sparkling!" and "Tenkaichi" hurts me. So does "Bu-de-kai."

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:44 pm

Dragon Ball Z Sparkling. I lol'd. Overall, I guess it was okay.

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:09 pm

I don't see how the correct term is any better. I need to light a fire, anyone have a sparking?
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:32 pm

Well the Saiyans do look "Sparking" in their Super Saiyan stages....okay I know that was horrible, but "Sparkling" reminds me of Sparkling Water everytime I hear it, so yes it is just that horrible.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:50 am

I got a chance to see it and I really didn't like it. It felt like it was made to make fun of the series a game, well that's what I got out of it. I mean AOL, a billion dollar company, couldn't put enough effort into a video so that a little fan like me would seem to know ten times more than they did? Have I defeated Time Warner?
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:55 am

Well, as slightly irked as I am about the mis-pronounciations, I think it's pretty cool that DBZ's still getting some attention from the mainstream media (as in outside our little bubble community of DaizEX).
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:58 pm

Mr.Piccolo wrote:I got a chance to see it and I really didn't like it. It felt like it was made to make fun of the series a game, well that's what I got out of it. I mean AOL, a billion dollar company, couldn't put enough effort into a video so that a little fan like me would seem to know ten times more than they did? Have I defeated Time Warner?
-Rick
Yes. You, as well as many others here, have single-handedly defeated Time Warner at Dragonball.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Sasuke_Chidori
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sasuke_Chidori » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:05 pm

...I'm guessing you mean Brighthouse. :lol:

Anyways, I haven't had time to check it out just yet, but I plan on taking a look at this thing. I'll probably be blown away or something.. :x

gohanku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by gohanku » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:10 am

It is not a bad video, pretty good and for some reason, it is making me feel like playing Sparking NEO again...
[quote="SSj Kaboom talking about Future Gohan in BT3"]I feel sorry for Future Gohan.

Everyone's like, "What?! What are you doing with [b][i]two[/i][/b] arms?! You tear that off right now, mister!"

Poor guy.[/quote]
Lol'ed.

param

Post by param » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:50 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaAR9UxMSTU

For those, like me, for whom AOL doesn't work when it comes to anything.