Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 62

Post by ryou766 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:59 pm

That shot where Goku looks down at Zamasu after his assault when Zamasu tried to attack Vegeta looked beautiful. Anyone have that shot and know who did it?

Derf

Post by Derf » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:03 pm

ryou766 wrote:That shot where Goku looks down at Zamasu after his assault when Zamasu tried to attack Vegeta looked beautiful. Anyone have that shot and know who did it?
I believe you're talking about this shot? 19:13 in the Crunchyroll stream.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:04 pm

Derf wrote:I believe you're talking about this shot? 19:13 in the Crunchyroll stream.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Yes! I'm in love with that shot.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:10 pm

Well, I asked two pages ago, so here'd be a good time to again. Could I please get the shot of Black when he grabs Vegeta's fist? Black's mouth is hiding behind the fist, for clarity.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Derf

Post by Derf » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:15 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:Well, I asked two pages ago, so here'd be a good time to again. Could I please get the shot of Black when he grabs Vegeta's fist? Black's mouth is hiding behind the fist, for clarity.
Here you go - let me know if you meant a different shot:

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:27 pm

Derf wrote:
cuartas wrote:Not yashima: Image
Yashima: Image
It's almost crazy how much better that top shot looks.
yep, it looks like yashima will never know how to draw goku's hair

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:29 pm

Derf wrote:Here you go - let me know if you meant a different shot:
*snip*
That's the one! Thanks!

Though there is also the one from last week; this one, but minus subs and in HD:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
MyAnimeList | AniList

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:42 pm

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
The thing with yashima is the part of the red line behind goku, look at the way he draws that, and that let not enough space to fill with the 4 spikes, so yashima has to make longer necks to compensate the space he lost and make the hair fit
On the other hand, the other line shows how the "front hair" has more distance compared with the last spike of his "back hair"

I think that's the highest flaw of yashima drawing goku that makes him really weird looking, aside from the eyes distance that has to be fixed as well.

Fortunatelly that was an inbetween frame

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:11 pm

kinisking wrote:
Noah wrote:Animation was subpar in this episode, save a couple of scenes with SSGSS Goku and Vegeta in the end. Fights do lack impact, kinda disappointed
You can't be serious. The fight with trunks was beautifully animated, along with pretty much everything in the goku and vegeta fight.
Yes, I am. Beautifully animated you say?

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

Also there's these shots:

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

But I take it back, Vegeta vs Black was somewhat good animated, this scene was beautiful indeed:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Last edited by Noah on Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Derf

Post by Derf » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:13 pm

Anime Kitten wrote: Though there is also the one from last week; this one, but minus subs and in HD:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Ah, what the heck. Here you go:

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:15 pm

Stills and in-betweens are not the main focus of animation and you should never treat them as such. Animation means movement. You judge it based on fluidity and timing, not on-model shots.

Off-models are not always a bad thing, unless, of course, someone with no talent scribbles out the shots. Shimanuki's characters, for example, are usually off-models, even in his old days. The pictures you posted are either in-betweens or non-important shots.
Last edited by DragonBalllKaiHD on Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:16 pm

Lol There was only 1 picture that looked noticeably bad in the ones you posted. The rest were inbetweens or from really far away.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:17 pm

Another very clearly Yashima shot of Goku;
[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

But I take it back, Vegeta vs Black was somewhat good animated, this scene was beautiful indeed:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler][/quote]

There's nothing wrong with that first shot, and you also zoomed in on them, they were not that large in the actual frame.
There is nothing wrong with the second, it's called an expressive face.
My comment on the third is the same as the first.
The fourth and fifth aren't great, but they're Yashima, so you can't really expect a whole lot, but they aren't the worst.
and the sixth is again a shot you zoomed in on.

You're also focusing entirely on art instead of actual animation.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:34 pm

Derf wrote:Ah, what the heck. Here you go:
*snip*
Thanks again! That's all for now. Image
MyAnimeList | AniList

BakaManiaHD
Beyond Newbie

Post by BakaManiaHD » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:38 pm

Noah wrote:
kinisking wrote:
Noah wrote:Animation was subpar in this episode, save a couple of scenes with SSGSS Goku and Vegeta in the end. Fights do lack impact, kinda disappointed
You can't be serious. The fight with trunks was beautifully animated, along with pretty much everything in the goku and vegeta fight.
Yes, I am. Beautifully animated you say?

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Animation =/= Art
Do you really have to zoom on the characters and then complain that it is "bad animated"..?
kill me

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:47 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Stills and in-betweens are not the main focus of animation and you should never treat them as such. Animation means movement. You judge it based on fluidity and timing, not on-model shots.

Off-models are not always a bad thing, unless, of course, someone with no talent scribbles out the shots. Shimanuki's characters, for example, are usually off-models, even in his old days. The pictures you posted are either in-betweens or non-important shots.
Yes, they are. I'm not watching One Piece or Naruto to see these awful shots with lots of body distortion stuff for average fast movements, that runs away from the traditional standard, but not in a good way.
nite_jay wrote:Lol There was only 1 picture that looked noticeably bad in the ones you posted. The rest were inbetweens or from really far away.
It's a matter of opinions, really. Watch Episode 57 again, this is what I call beautifully animated:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

On-model and fast paced, no need to distort characters faces for the sake of the movement
ArchedThunder wrote:There's nothing wrong with that first shot, and you also zoomed in on them, they were not that large in the actual frame.
There is nothing wrong with the second, it's called an expressive face.
My comment on the third is the same as the first.
The fourth and fifth aren't great, but they're Yashima, so you can't really expect a whole lot, but they aren't the worst.
and the sixth is again a shot you zoomed in on.

You're also focusing entirely on art instead of actual animation.
For me there is, I didn't like the shot, the way Trunks's hair was draw, the lack of details. The frame doesn't matter.

Expressive face from a lousy cartoon you usually watch in Cartoon Network

Just want to emphasize how this third shot looks like something straight from Naruto or One Piece, ugly

So Yashima is the disease that harms this show?

It really doesn't matter if it is zoomed, my point is that is really lacking detail in this shot, it's not like Goku and Vegeta are there kilometers away from Black and Zamasu.
BakaManiaHD wrote:Animation =/= Art
Do you really have to zoom on the characters and then complain that it is "bad animated"..?
I admit, I'm probably mixing things, but you do get my point, see my reply to ArchedThunder for further understanding.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:38 pm

Noah wrote: *snip*
Technically that episode 57 cut is off model. The designs shown differ from what Yamamuro's model sheets show. This goes to show that off-model animation is definitely not a bad thing all the time.

Also, me zooming in on Black's face in that inbetween and labeling it as "bad off model animation" is basically what you're doing right now.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:52 pm

nite_jay wrote:Technically that episode 57 cut is off model. The designs shown differ from what Yamamuro's model sheets show. This goes to show that off-model animation is definitely not a bad thing all the time.

Also, me zooming in on Black's face in that inbetween and labeling it as "bad off model animation" is basically what you're doing right now.
Off-model? I suppose you're kidding, there's nothing wrong with their faces, that an example of something that runs away from the standard, but in a good way.

That "in-between" lasted for a while and was not really zoomed, anyway I didn't like it, his face is distorted, It could have been better drawn IMO
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:12 pm

Noah wrote:
nite_jay wrote:Technically that episode 57 cut is off model. The designs shown differ from what Yamamuro's model sheets show. This goes to show that off-model animation is definitely not a bad thing all the time.

Off-model? I suppose you're kidding, there's nothing wrong with their faces, that an example of something that runs away from the standard, but in a good way.

That "in-between" lasted for a while and was not really zoomed, anyway I didn't like it, his face is distorted, It could have been better drawn IMO

That's why my point was not all off model things are bad. It looks good but you can definitely see that most of Shida's character art is different from the model sheets. (I would post an example but I don't feel like gathering pictures...)

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:25 pm

I'm curious who the artist is here in this shot from the NEP
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
The head/face shape is pretty striking and it doesn't match any Super regulars as far as I know, so I assume it's someone new to the series.