Is anyone starting to feel franchise fatigue yet?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MarCas92
Regular

Is anyone starting to feel franchise fatigue yet?

Post by MarCas92 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:32 pm

I just wanted to see the general consensus on this.

Personally, I really don't like the way franchise is being handled. I know a lot of people want more and MORE content, but I'm afraid I'm not one of those people.

Super is bad (I enjoy some of it don't get me wrong, but that doesn't change the fact that it's still objectively bad), and it looks like they're just going to milk the franchise for all its worth now due to it's success. Even if you like the content that's being put out now, inevitably we will reach a point where content is going to be so poor DB will end up like the Simpsons and just exist as hollow shell of its former self or just kill the franchise all together.

I like stories to end. I don't need something to go on forever. I don't mind new content, but it has to be something made out of love (Yo! Son Goku) or because of something new can be brought to the table (BoG). And with the announcement of this new Dragon Ball room, I'm just afraid Dragon Ball will eventually be burned to the ground.

Maybe I'm alone, maybe I'm not. But I'd like to hear your thoughts.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Re: Is anyone starting to feel franchise fatigue yet?

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:56 pm

Me, not yet.
MarCas92 wrote:Even if you like the content that's being put out now, inevitably we will reach a point where content is going to be so poor DB will end up like the Simpsons and just exist as hollow shell of its former self or just kill the franchise all together.
The franchise still put out quality material so long it has the right people behind it.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:58 pm

I am, but I keep holding out faith.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:04 pm

One thing I like to remember is: the old stuff will always still be there. You can always go back and read/watch Kuririn and Goku training with Muten Rôshi, the amazing Tenkaichi Budokai fights, Piccolo being a huge threat, the Saiyans arriving for the first time, the silly Ginyu poses, etc, etc. If you don't like certain parts of the franchise you can ignore them, and stick to the parts you do enjoy.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

zamasu121
Beyond Newbie

Post by zamasu121 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:09 pm

dbs current arc is great imo so no

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:12 pm

Not at this point in time, no. I mean the series has only been back for little over a year, aside from the couple of movies and games that came before it.

I understand the concerns that come from this DragonRoom. Never ending Dragonball sounds both exciting and fighting for a series a lot of us hold dear. But I'm not really feeling anything yet. I'm not Hyped for or Dreading what may come.

I'm in the camp of "wait and see what happens."

If it's good, Great! If it's not, Oh well.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:28 pm

Not yet, all we have ongoing is the games as well as the Super anime and manga, which is not a lot.

I have no problem with Dragon Ball continuing indefinitely as long as they expand the multiverse and tell stories from the perspective of other characters besides Goku.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:35 pm

How is Super objectively bad? That doesn't make sense, everything DB related is subjective don't know how someone can say something DB related is objectively good or bad. Evolution is probably the only closest thing to being objective.

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakarotto92 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:02 pm

No. If you compare it with other shonen series like Naruto, One Piece and even Saint Seiya, Dragon Ball hasn't really been milked that much when it comes to new content (i.e. not counting with videogames, DB Kai and merchandising in general). No offense but considering we went just through 20 straight years with virtually nothing, bringing up "franchise fatigue" is silly to say the least. Even if the new content has been mostly mediocre (imo) I still feel anything but fatigued about the franchise, quite the opposite, Super's mediocrity only makes me even more starved for a quality improvement in the new stuff that's yet to come.
Last edited by Kakarotto92 on Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:04 pm

I'd like for it to get actually good again instead of enjoyable mediocrity.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:06 pm

Not really. This is the first time most North American fans have been able to genuinely experience week-to-week episode airing. It's great to see Dragon Ball this relevant again, even with the hiccups here and there. The DB Super Manga in particular has been my favorite part of all this.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:54 pm

Not really. People forget that we didn't get anything new for over a decade after 1997. Not to mention, 2008-2011 with Kai still didn't give us too much expect for some new OVA specials like Episode of Bardock. Dragon Ball has not been burn out yet completely.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:29 pm

No. Back in 2012 I would've said yes, but then BOG, F, and Super happened so I'm having a good time/not bored right now. I'm actually really excited for Jump Festa this year too knowing the next arc has a sneak peak of info there.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:47 pm

Not all. I'm enjoying Super a lot, in particular the Super manga, and the recent games and movies have been great.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:06 pm

Toriyama and the franchise just came back from a 20 year hiatua so no, I'm far from getting franchise fatigue.

It's obvious that the franchise won't die again even when Toriyama is done but I hope they stop for a year or 2 just to plan everything out before moving on with new content.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:09 pm

No, I have other series I follow, so I spend very little time thinking about Dragon Ball.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:26 pm

And as always Jacob's awesome and beautiful posts brighten my day.

Seriously, if you care so much about only one series you are bound to get burnt out. Read other stuff like Ashita No Joe. Now THAT'S awesome, that series really does hold NO PUNCHES.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:38 pm

MarCas92 wrote:
Personally, I really don't like the way franchise is being handled.

Super is bad.

Inevitably we will reach a point where content is going to be so poor DB will end up like the Simpsons and just exist as hollow shell of its former self.

I like stories to end. I don't need something to go on forever.

I don't mind new content, but it has to be something made out of love or because of something new can be brought to the table.

With the announcement of this new Dragon Ball room, I'm just afraid Dragon Ball will eventually be burned to the ground.
The way they're handling characters like Gohan and keep introducing new ssj forms are things I'm very much against.

Super has been improving so I don't think it's fair to say it's just bad.

I don't think this will happen under Toriyama but I'm worried about what will happen when he leaves.

I don't as well but I'm open to the idea if the people in charge can keep the story going forward in a positave way.

BOG and the Black arc have brought great content to the table and the tournament was fun so Toriyama can still write good content (flawed but good).

I really hope this doesn't happen.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:47 pm

The only I thing I don't like, is that they haven't been focusing any forms outside of SSJ. We had the reintroduction of Kaioken but that was used in conjuction with SSJ. Would like something else.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:13 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:And as always Jacob's awesome and beautiful posts brighten my day.

Seriously, if you care so much about only one series you are bound to get burnt out. Read other stuff like Ashita No Joe. Now THAT'S awesome, that series really does hold NO PUNCHES.
I see what you did there. :wink: :lol: