Is anyone starting to feel franchise fatigue yet?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Is anyone starting to feel franchise fatigue yet?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:26 pm

I know right? But I actually didnt intend the pun! The series really is tragic and badass. If you want a series with dramatic deaths that stick. [spoiler]Including the MAIN CHARACTER RIGHT AT THE VERY END. After he loses the last fight. With a smile on his face.[/spoiler]

And he's not the only one! Try out Ashita No Joe TODAY!

Hey Joe...I remember...Joe
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:02 pm

Super is literally only a little over a year old. What is there to be fatigued about? After the movie adaptions the new material has been mostly good.

Once Super goes on over 100+ episodes, which it surely will, then we can start talking about whether it should end or not.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:28 pm

Not really. I mean, I get a bit fatigued wen I fall behind and have to catch up on like four or five episodes in a row (something that happens to me with anything I'm watching subbed sadly, so hopefully with the simulcast I don't fall as behind ever again), but so long as the new material is enjoyable to me (and pretty much everything added since Battle of Gods has been at least enjoyable to me), then I don't know that I could ever get fatigued.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:17 pm

NOPE

I've pretty much waited my entire life for new dragon ball content. Following a new Dragon Ball show, as it airs, week to week still feels surreal to me.

I'm definitely okay with this.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:24 am

fps_anth wrote:I've pretty much waited my entire life for new dragon ball content.
Same here, Dragon Ball was my 1st anime and has been my favorite ever since I 1st saw it 11 years ago so no matter how low it gets, deep down I'll still be happy that I'm getting new DB content from Toriyama (as long as my #1 is getting the respect his royal epicness deserves :twisted: )
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:27 am

No. The new material gives me something new to complain about every week. I'm hardly bored of or fatigued from this. : )
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:44 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:No. The new material gives me something new to complain about every week.
Replies like these make me wish we could thumb them up. :lol:

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:52 am

I'm not that obsessed with DB. It never was my favorite. There are lots of other cartoons which I spend my time on and enjoy, so no I'm not fatigued.

And besides Super has been entertaining to watch especially with this Gokuu Black stuff, also Toyotarou's comic has been pretty good too.

- Travis

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:00 am

Not yet. Mostly because for the last few months, they've only really been promoting the same things: Future Trunks, Time Travel and Fusions. There is so much more the series could do, and so many more different kind of stories you could make. Almost every DB videogame nowadays has become "you're an Original Character. Recruit your favourite DB heroes to go fight!" Maybe I'm fatigued of that particular idea. And the Time Breakers. But not the idea of the franchise altogether.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Naughty Kinto Un
Beyond Newbie

Post by Naughty Kinto Un » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:46 am

I definitely did a while back. I can't get into Super. The movies are fun as light entertainment, but they're mostly forgettable. Overall, the newer content hasn't felt worth committing to. Sure, I like Beerus. He doesn't warrant hours and hours of my time.

I do like revisiting the original series from time to time, mostly in bits and pieces. There's so much of the original manga and the DB/Z anime to begin with that brand extensions like Dragon Ball Super seem to me more, well, Dragon Ball Superfluous. I felt the same way about GT.

The market's need to milk every successful franchise in existence is fatiguing in itself. I guess, for better or worse, we as consumers enable that.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:00 am

MarCas92 wrote:I just wanted to see the general consensus on this.

Personally, I really don't like the way franchise is being handled. I know a lot of people want more and MORE content, but I'm afraid I'm not one of those people.

Super is bad (I enjoy some of it don't get me wrong, but that doesn't change the fact that it's still objectively bad), and it looks like they're just going to milk the franchise for all its worth now due to it's success. Even if you like the content that's being put out now, inevitably we will reach a point where content is going to be so poor DB will end up like the Simpsons and just exist as hollow shell of its former self or just kill the franchise all together.

I like stories to end. I don't need something to go on forever. I don't mind new content, but it has to be something made out of love (Yo! Son Goku) or because of something new can be brought to the table (BoG). And with the announcement of this new Dragon Ball room, I'm just afraid Dragon Ball will eventually be burned to the ground.

Maybe I'm alone, maybe I'm not. But I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Nope. It's exactly the opposite for me.

Bulma's Foot Masseur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bulma's Foot Masseur » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:10 am

I waited, like, over a decade for the story to actually pick up again, so no.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:31 am

I don't like how Toriyama ruined some characters, like Bardock and Freeza, but to be fair, almost every franchise that get picked up many years later, is screwed, Star Wars Prequel Trilogy, Metroid Other M (Seriously, original creator thought it was good idea, to make Samus emotionally unstable and whiny, what was wrong with cool and silent bounty hunter? And she fought Ridley two times before, why suddenly getting PTSD now?
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:40 am

Anyone else think that Super will eventually get to adapting the whole Mira/Towa arc? It feels like they would have easy content for like 50 episodes introducing all of that evil realm world, their henchmen, the environment and everyhting.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:18 am

I am certainly not happy with the execution..
Does that mean I want it to end? hell no

If things go south with super in future, I will gladly ignore it's very existence like I do with an abomination know as gt...

But I still enjoy super.. even freeze one shotting Gohan..
You can always go back and see the original versions if you feel dissatisfied
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:28 am

Xeogran wrote:Anyone else think that Super will eventually get to adapting the whole Mira/Towa arc? It feels like they would have easy content for like 50 episodes introducing all of that evil realm world, their henchmen, the environment and everyhting.
I don't think they'd ever do that, but I think I would enjoy it. I think Towa and Mira are rather entertaining characters and I do enjoy the idea of the Time Patrol being where F!Trunks ends up.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:57 am

I did for a while post-U6 Tournament. That first episode where they wrote Goku like an idiot and the first episode of the Super-human water arc prefaced a lack buster arc, which made me not care for a while.
Currently, I'm enjoying it greatly.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:28 am

Xeogran wrote:Anyone else think that Super will eventually get to adapting the whole Mira/Towa arc ?
That story is the main draw to the games so I doubt they'll adapt it into an anime and risk people dropping out of Xenoverse.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:43 am

My fatigue has only come in the past few weeks, but it's there and it's heavy regardless. Oddly enough, I've become re-invigorated in my pursuit of the Full Color Manga (what little of it Viz has put out -_-). So I guess it's inaccurate to say that I have fatigue for Dragon Ball as a whole, but rather Dragon Ball Super.
Retired.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:10 pm

I did back in the mid-2000s. But, ever since the new movies, I'm pretty much back on board again. It hasn't been perfect, but nothing ever is. -shrug- The new movies, the new games, and the Future Trunks arc in Super have been pretty good.