"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mewzard
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Mewzard » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:44 am

Valerius Dover wrote:Huh. So, guess they really did pass up The Final Chapters. Well, it's cool we're getting Super at least. Though, it is ironic the former got canned since it was originally intended for international markets. :?
But FUNi didn't pass up Kai's Buu Saga. We know it's been dubbed (pretty sure it's been fully dubbed at that). It just hasn't been released yet (most likely waiting for a TV release on Toonami).

Still, a Super dub is very exciting...wish we knew when the announcement will be.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:23 pm

If this is indeed the English dub, then I suspect the air date will be set around spring 2017. The figure line is summer, right?
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:29 pm

I'm calling it. It's the Funimation Super dub :clap:
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:33 pm

Dub announced. Phew.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:36 pm

YAAAAAASSSSS!
We're finally getting an English dub of Dragon Ball Super! :clap: :clap: :clap: :mrgreen:
MyAnimeList | AniList

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:36 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:Yes! English Dub!!!!! :) I can't wait! Hyped!

No way they announce a movie this way..
Yeah this is their USA account. If there was a new movie this wouldn't be the place they'd announce.
It's weird... Normally, I would be hyped for the English Dub. But since Super aired, I've been more attached to the Japanese dub than I already was. Even in the games, I switch the voices to Japanese because the English dub is too cringe worthy for me. I haven't heard material from the dub in months. But this is good news for people who were waiting on the dub (assuming that's what's going on here).

edit: dope, it's happening. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:47 pm

Wow, that was fast and man am I hyped.
ryou766 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:Yes! English Dub!!!!! :) I can't wait! Hyped!

No way they announce a movie this way..
Yeah this is their USA account. If there was a new movie this wouldn't be the place they'd announce.
It's weird... Normally, I would be hyped for the English Dub. But since Super aired, I've been more attached to the Japanese dub than I already was. Even in the games, I switch the voices to Japanese because the English dub is too cringe worthy for me. I haven't heard material from the dub in months. But this is good news for people who were waiting on the dub (assuming that's what's going on here).

edit: dope, it's happening. :thumbup: :thumbup:
While Super has definitely brought me to love the Japanese cast I'm still REALLY excited to see Funimation's take since their actors are so good now.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:49 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:While Super has definitely brought me to love the Japanese cast I'm still REALLY excited to see Funimation's take since their actors are so good now.
Oh, I am too. I hope Sean will have improved his Black voice by then. Speaking of Sean though, am I the only one who has trouble seeing him voice this Goku? Like, what Super made Goku out to be.

Scarlet Spider
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scarlet Spider » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:51 pm

ryou766 wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:While Super has definitely brought me to love the Japanese cast I'm still REALLY excited to see Funimation's take since their actors are so good now.
Oh, I am too. I hope Sean will have improved his Black voice by then. Speaking of Sean though, am I the only one who has trouble seeing him voice this Goku? Like, what Super made Goku out to be.
It's going to be hard to watch, but all we can do is grit our teeth. :oops:

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:52 pm

IGN posted very little info. Perhaps they were a little early with the announcement :p

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:54 pm

Glad to know it's finally been announced...I just wonder what the wait will be like, and how it will be shown on TV (along with the Buu Arc of Kai).
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:59 pm

I mean we knew that a dub was coming and now we know a dub is coming. Nothings really changed. I want a release date.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:03 pm

kinisking wrote:I mean we knew that a dub was coming and now we know a dub is coming. Nothings really changed. I want a release date.
We all but knew before, and now it's confirmed. Totally different. :P
MyAnimeList | AniList

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:31 pm

Mewzard wrote:Glad to know it's finally been announced...I just wonder what the wait will be like, and how it will be shown on TV (along with the Buu Arc of Kai).
It's implied that there isn't going to be a TV run yet. But if there is an opportunity then FUNi get to put Super on the air. Right now seems likely the dub will come via home release.

Edit - Nevermind they said broadcast details to come later!
Last edited by Baggie_Saiyan on Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:32 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Mewzard wrote:Glad to know it's finally been announced...I just wonder what the wait will be like, and how it will be shown on TV (along with the Buu Arc of Kai).
It's implied that there isn't going to be a TV run yet. But if there is an opportunity then FUNi get to put Super on the air. Right now seems likely the dub will come via home release.
Nothing implies that, it just says that Funimation has the broadcast rights. With the big merchandising push coming in Summer they probably already have a TV deal, the network probably just wants to announce it on their own time.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:39 pm

Inb4 FUNi's site lists Super as 72 episodes...

We know a new arc is coming and the announcement mentions multi year deal for Super.

Cast are pretty much announcing themselves on social media haha.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:42 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
kinisking wrote:I mean we knew that a dub was coming and now we know a dub is coming. Nothings really changed. I want a release date.
We all but knew before, and now it's confirmed. Totally different. :P
Not to sound like a douche but let's be honest, it was always confirmed.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:44 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Inb4 FUNi's site lists Super as 72 episodes...

We know a new arc is coming and the announcement mentions multi year deal for Super.

Where does it say 72?

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:56 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Inb4 FUNi's site lists Super as 72 episodes...

Where does it say 72?
"inb4" means you're predicting something. Baggie_Saiyan isn't saying that it does say 72 episodes.
As mentioned, we know it won't be only 72 episodes. A new arc will be revealed in December, which means ending at 72 is impossible.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link