"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:57 pm

SonsOfUlron21 wrote:Does anyone know which Saga the Dub will start off is it Battle Of Gods or The Champa Arc?
The dub will begin with Battle of Gods. There will be no "Lost Episodes", Funimation is a vastly different company than what it was back when GT aired.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Nekis13
Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:09 pm

Very nice to see the English Dub being for confirmed for Super. Hopefully Sean Schemmel does as much of a great job with Black like Masako Nozawa did

Now we wait for the Latin American dub. Still waiting Toei... still waiting...
stay edgy

DeviantArt Thing: Drawings and stuff, also Dragon Ball

Luke Groundwalker
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Luke Groundwalker » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:18 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
SonsOfUlron21 wrote:Does anyone know which Saga the Dub will start off is it Battle Of Gods or The Champa Arc?
The dub will begin with Battle of Gods. There will be no "Lost Episodes", Funimation is a vastly different company than what it was back when GT aired.
Yeah but the Lost Episodes was stuff people actually wanted to see. No one will be disappointed if they skipped over literally weeks of mediocre retellings to get to the new stuff in broadcast.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:22 pm

Makai wrote:Nah, the Buu arc is really in need of a redub imo, especially after watching the previous arcs in Kai, it's miles above Z.
I think you've misunderstood me. I know that the Boo Kai dub needs to exist, but we aren't the typical fan. The majority of the American Fanbase are still the old Funi Dub crowd, they're the one's that every promo is still dedicated to, and they aren't concerned about Boo Kai.
Retired.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:22 pm

Luke Groundwalker wrote:
Yeah but the Lost Episodes was stuff people actually wanted to see. No one will be disappointed if they skipped over literally weeks of mediocre retellings to get to the new stuff in broadcast.
They want to get a new generation of kids on board with the series, they aren't going to skip the first 27 episodes.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:25 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:They want to get a new generation of kids on board with the series, they aren't going to skip the first 27 episodes.
Has there ever been any question? The only ones who ever even brought up the possibility of this happening were people who don't want to watch those arcs again. It's a wet dream, a hypothesis not grounded in reality.
Retired.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:29 pm

Funimation and Crunchyroll are partners, why are both releasing different official subbed versions?
Can't watch the episodes because it's blocked in my region. How is the translation? Sub names, Dub names, or both?

Looks like someone with too much free time decided to rate all episodes available with 1 star. It's funny how pathetic some people can be.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Luke Groundwalker
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Luke Groundwalker » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:37 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Luke Groundwalker wrote:
They want to get a new generation of kids on board with the series, they aren't going to skip the first 27 episodes.
If they want to do that they might as well air the first two anime before they air Super, since this new generation would be missing years of context lost when we see stuff in Super.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:40 pm

Luke Groundwalker wrote: If they want to do that they might as well air the first two anime before they air Super, since this new generation would be missing years of context lost when we see stuff in Super.
The beginning of Super explains a lot about what happened before because it was made with the intention of grabbing a new generation of fans in Japan and it also does a lot of setting up for what comes later. Starting at episode 28 would make no sense.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:43 pm

Luke Groundwalker wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
Luke Groundwalker wrote: Yeah but the Lost Episodes was stuff people actually wanted to see. No one will be disappointed if they skipped over literally weeks of mediocre retellings to get to the new stuff in broadcast.
If they want to do that they might as well air the first two anime before they air Super, since this new generation would be missing years of context lost when we see stuff in Super.
They're available on DVD, Blu-ray, and online for a reason. We're largely in a post-television era, DB only has to be on TV because Toei is so out of touch, anyway.
Retired.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:47 pm

Imagining Sean voicing Black...... it would surprise me if he can do a better job than what Nozawa has pulled off.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:47 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote: They're available on DVD, Blu-ray, and online for a reason. We're largely in a post-television era, DB only has to be on TV because Toei is so out of touch, anyway.
There isn't really a successful merchandise based kids show that isn't aired on TV. If Super wants to expand the fan base and sell lots of merch to kids they kinda have to be on TV.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:49 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:Imagining Sean voicing Black...... it would surprise me if he can do a better job than what Nozawa has pulled off.
He won't, Nozawa's voice is naturally too perfect for Goku Black. Although I think Schemmel can pull it off, even if he does have some refining to do.
Last edited by Jinzoningen MULE on Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:51 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:Imagining Sean voicing Black...... it would surprise me if he can do a better job than what Nozawa has pulled off.
It probably won't sound as menacing, but as long as it doesn't sound like Batman, I'll be fine with it.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:55 pm

Just incase anyone was worried, FUNi are releasing the show in Blu-ray and DVD, (FUNi release OP on DVD only) if you right click on the products page and click view source this came up:

<title>Dragon Ball Super Blu-ray and DVD Anime Store on FUNimation</title>
<meta name="description" content="Shop for Dragon Ball Super Blu-ray and DVD complete series box sets at FUNimation Store. Watch Dragon Ball Super anime episodes, movies, trailers, and clips online.">

Guess we may actually get listings soon! :)

Edit- IGN article also says that FUNi are working on subs for existing episodes....

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:50 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: They're available on DVD, Blu-ray, and online for a reason. We're largely in a post-television era, DB only has to be on TV because Toei is so out of touch, anyway.
There isn't really a successful merchandise based kids show that isn't aired on TV. If Super wants to expand the fan base and sell lots of merch to kids they kinda have to be on TV.
Pretty much. There's a reason why Funi tried to get One Piece on tv for years. The same with a lot of their anime.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:54 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Daisuki has it in HD for free. This has been the case from day one, pay attention.
Wow, I've never heard about it, it is launched the same day the episode is aired?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:56 pm

Noah wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Daisuki has it in HD for free. This has been the case from day one, pay attention.
Wow, I've never heard about it, it is launched the same day the episode is aired?
1 hour after it finishes airing on Fuji TV.
Retired.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:58 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:1 hour after it finishes airing on Fuji TV.
Great! Do they have HD DB/Z/GT english subbed as well?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:02 pm

Noah wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:1 hour after it finishes airing on Fuji TV.
Great! Do they have HD DB/Z/GT english subbed as well?
No, just the DBS simulcast.
Retired.