"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: FUNimation dub of Dragon Ball Super Officially Confirmed

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:29 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Yeah good point plus Toonami being weekly means it'll be miles behind what I presume an almost daily run on the kid networks.
It might be daily for a bit, especially since the early going is a bit slow, but it probably wouldn't stay daily for long since the show is still running on TV in Japan and they wouldn't want to get too close to the Japanese broadcast. At most I could see them do week days for the first 30 episodes, plowing through the movie retellings in about a month and a half, but honestly I think it would be more likely that they'd do a "week long event" for the start of the series and air the fist 5 episodes in one week and then go to a weekly schedule after that.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:37 pm

It's about time. I'm mostly interested in how the dub will handle certain characters and scenes, and, of course, the home releases.

Where the Buu Kai announcement at tho
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:40 pm

Shocker indeed. Glad its about time FUNimation adds the fifth Dragon Ball series but like Kai, I hope it keeps the Japanese music and the episode titles albeit from the English voices. The late 90s/early 00s dub music has been way past due.

I wonder who will voice Vados, Frost or Black?
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:42 pm

SilverPlaqueVII wrote:I wonder who will voice Vados, Frost or Black?
Sean will voice Black, of course.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:54 pm

SilverPlaqueVII wrote:Shocker indeed. Glad its about time FUNimation adds the fifth Dragon Ball series but like Kai, I hope it keeps the Japanese music and the episode titles albeit from the English voices. The late 90s/early 00s dub music has been way past due.

I wonder who will voice Vados, Frost or Black?
I have no doubt Super will be another Kai-style dub, especially since they have said they want it to be as perfect as possible.

Frost will most likely be Chris Ayres, Black will surely be voiced by Sean Schemmel.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:37 pm

I'm more curious on if it does air on a network for kids, how they'll work around the whole *God" thing.

"Beerus the Destroyer" is already a thing, would you change "God of Destruction" to "Kai", "Lord" or "Master"? Same rules apply to Super Saiyan God. Though I imagine they may just go with Super Saiyan Red.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:43 pm

Meanwhile the corpse of the Toonami Asia dub is quietly swept under the rug along with the Kai dubs. So much for their English premier.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:03 pm

Soul wrote:I'm more curious on if it does air on a network for kids, how they'll work around the whole *God" thing.

"Beerus the Destroyer" is already a thing, would you change "God of Destruction" to "Kai", "Lord" or "Master"? Same rules apply to Super Saiyan God. Though I imagine they may just go with Super Saiyan Red.
I've been curious too. Unless it winds up on a network though (fat chance)—where I'm not sure what BS&P's approach to even vaguely religious elements in kids' programming is—it should be fine. On cable, it would come down to the whims of the channel, and Dragon Ball's god hierarchy is so far into the realm of pure fantasy, I can't imagine it being a problem. Especially now that we have a larger pantheon of gods "of something," versus a single capital "G" God who is a green alien and veers uncomfortably close to a monotheistic Judeo-Christian take for those unfamiliar with Shinto.

The series is literally all about interaction with these high gods, so good luck writing around it. Though I'd love to hear how they handle Zamasu's speeches if they can't use the word.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:30 pm

Soul wrote:I'm more curious on if it does air on a network for kids, how they'll work around the whole *God" thing.

The 4Kids dub of the original Yu-Gi-Oh! got away with using the word "God" constantly. Unless US kids networks are much more strict on censored dialogue today I don't see why this would be too much of a problem for Super.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:36 pm

I'd like if Travis Willingham got a role in this dub.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:02 pm

So are they officially skipping to the start of the Champa tournament? That's what the advertisements imply

olympia

Post by olympia » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:25 pm

The dub isn't my cup of tea but I'm so glad I can enjoy this show with more people now.

I was talking with a kid at my job a month back and he loves Dragon Ball Super! This was before any form of official NA release, so I asked him how he was keeping up with it. Obviously kids are pretty resourceful on the Internet, so he told me he just watches the fansubs on some shady streaming site every Saturday. I laughed at the idea of this poor kid still having to dig up fansubs to watch a Dragon Ball show that is already substantially ahead, like we are still living in 1996.

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:45 pm

precita wrote:So are they officially skipping to the start of the Champa tournament? That's what the advertisements imply
How does the Advertisments imply that? The trailer showed scenes from the BoG and RF arcs only. They aren't skipping them.

If you mean the universe 6 poster, they showed the same thing when Dragonball Super was first announced in Japan. They still didn't start with the Universe 6 stuff.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:11 pm

The great thing about this is that I can finally watch the show with my friends who have been holding back on Super until the English dub comes out.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:12 pm

precita wrote:So are they officially skipping to the start of the Champa tournament? That's what the advertisements imply
What? The Funimation trailer is almost exclusively footage from the first 2 arcs.
Retired.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:14 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
What? The Funimation trailer is almost exclusively footage from the first 2 arcs.
I think he may just seen the FUNi page where the header and show poster is from U6 arc.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:45 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:

The 4Kids dub of the original Yu-Gi-Oh! got away with using the word "God" constantly. Unless US kids networks are much more strict on censored dialogue today I don't see why this would be too much of a problem for Super.
They only got away with that because they used the word "Egyptian" in front of it to distinguish itself from actual God. In Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's, a set of cards called Earthbound Gods were changed to Nordic Gods in the dub. And it's not just Yu-Gi-Oh. Quite recently in fact, the few and far between mentions of"God" are quietly removed in the dub. A good example is the the Arceus movie. Instead of saying Judgement (Which was quite a few times since it's considered the God of Pokémon), the dub changed it to Justice.

So while they will definitely be called Gods in the uncut dub, I wouldn't be too sure if that will be the same for the edited dub.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:52 pm

jelleline89 wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:

They only got away with that because they used the word "Egyptian" in front of it to distinguish itself from actual God. In Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's, a set of cards called Earthbound Gods were changed to Nordic Gods in the dub. And it's not just Yu-Gi-Oh. Quite recently in fact, the few and far between mentions of"God" are quietly removed in the dub. A good example is the the Arceus movie. Instead of saying Judgement (Which was quite a few times since it's considered the God of Pokémon), the dub changed it to Justice.

So while they will definitely be called Gods in the uncut dub, I wouldn't be too sure if that will be the same for the edited dub.
By that logic they could probably get Super Saiyan God by, but "God of Destruction" would definitely be more iffy. Lots of the god stuff in the Future Trunks arc will probably have to be messed with as well. If they need to "Kai" or "Supreme Kai" of Destruction would work for God of Destruction, and then just call him "Beerus The Destroyer" for short hand. "Super Saiyan Kai" would also work, but I don't think it would work quite as well as replacing God with Kai for God of Destruction.

divad86

Post by divad86 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:04 pm

I think Buu Kai will air after the first Kai airs but I don't think Super will be on Nick or some other kids network. When Buu Kai ends then it will be shown on Toonami. Between the Buu Kai and Super, Funi will be dubbing Super and putting the episodes on their site for streaming so people can watch the dub before it hits TV. Again, this is just my theory as to what might happen. Toei might have the TV deal drawn up so the dub can't be seen until it hits TV.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:09 pm

divad86 wrote:I think Buu Kai will air after the first Kai airs but I don't think Super will be on Nick or some other kids network. When Buu Kai ends then it will be shown on Toonami. Between the Buu Kai and Super, Funi will be dubbing Super and putting the episodes on their site for streaming so people can watch the dub before it hits TV. Again, this is just my theory as to what might happen. Toei might have the TV deal drawn up so the dub can't be seen until it hits TV.
They wouldn't make the focus of the merchandising push in summer kids if they weren't going to air it on a kids channel.