Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 65

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:46 am

MrWalnut4 wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:Why is it good to have only the same Chief Supervisor for three episode in a row? It means other Chief Supervisors may focus on another episodes?
Most anime only have a single Chief Animation Supervisor (usually the character designer), Super having two has always been a sign of its poor schedule. It's extra strange that Yamamuro has never been a Chief Animation Supervisor with the exception of the single episode that he headed.
Not to start another Yamamuro bashing conversation, but what has he even been up to? He hasn't shown up since I believe episode 39 and didn't even animate the latest ending.
He's still putting out designs, so we know he's alive. Unfortunately, that's all we know.
Retired.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:59 am

A character designer being just the character designer isn't unusual - Yamamuro had the same role in his last show (Disk Wars: Avengers) and never went beyond that.
Of course, he was replaced when he started working in F, so it could be that there is another movie taking form. Although i doubt that would stop him from being Super's character designer.
Avok wrote:But in Toei's case Shida is their best animator by a landslide and he has the most distinctive style. Maybe Tate is the one who comes closer to him, but since he pops up rather frecuently and some people don't like the way he draws the characters...
Toei has many other incredibly talented regulars, like Ken Ootsuka, Kenji Kuroyanagi, Yoshihiko Umakoshi (a personal favorite of mine, his last work was the awesome Tiger Mask W ED), Yuki Hayashi, Yoshikazu Tomita..
All those i've mentioned are probably bigger names than Tate - in fact, i heard once that Tomita is even more respected among Japanese sakuga fans than Shida. It's not uncommon to see people thinking some of Tomita's great work in One Piece was Shida's, i don't know why that happens. I guess Shida is just a more recognizable name for western fans.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:24 am

Oonishi Ryou and Watanabe Koudai are also ridiculously talented and great assets to Toei. It's just that most Dragon Ball fans aren't aware of them cause they haven't worked on it as much as Shida.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:29 am

Watanabe Koudai and Hayashi Yuuki are a part of Toei's younger generation of animators. Watanabe especially is rising in the ranks, especially after his last two One Piece specials and Tiger Mask W episode. I imagine it won't be long before he is character designer of a series, too.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:20 am

cuartas wrote:so basically higashide saved this episode art, welp... :roll:
I'd be more appropriate to say that Ishikawa saved this episodes art, even though I still think Tate was able to produce to cool pieces of art in some scenes. Tate practically animated 70% of the episode by himself, though it was very rough, I do believe his effects works are what made it worthwhile and far better than ep 62 or 64.

thegamer23
Beyond Newbie

Post by thegamer23 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:09 am

Don't want to get my hopes too much high but...i will.
Next week's episode could be one of the best EVER of the entire franchise in terms of animations.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:42 am

I hope that the episode's overall quality will be good. I hope the preview didn't spoil the best cuts. Please make this episode have a balance in animation. I don't want 10 mins of nothing happening and then 3 mins of awesome cuts and then ending. They need to balance it

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:36 am

So it looks like we still won't see Yamamuro. Even though I dislike his character designs (even though lately it seems his designs improved, Black is an example) I like the polishness of his art and animation, his Goku vs Beerus fight was very good so I really hope he will come in and do an episode. If not Vegetto vs Zamasu, I want to see him animating Vegetto vs Beerus if it happens.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:03 pm

Mazingerdestro wrote: Please make this episode have a balance in animation. I don't want 10 mins of nothing happening and then 3 mins of awesome cuts and then ending. They need to balance it
Honestly, I don't expect SSB Vegetto vs Merged Zamasu fight to start before the second part. If it was like the Buu arc, where the previous episode ended with Vegetto debut, now that would be another thing. But that doesn't mean the first part must look bad. Even the title says "climactic battle" so I will trust Toei.

I expect a good first part, with things improving in the second one. And I also expect this episode to beat episode 57 in quality.
Fingers crossed.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:25 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
Mazingerdestro wrote: Please make this episode have a balance in animation. I don't want 10 mins of nothing happening and then 3 mins of awesome cuts and then ending. They need to balance it
Honestly, I don't expect SSB Vegetto vs Merged Zamasu fight to start before the second part. If it was like the Buu arc, where the previous episode ended with Vegetto debut, now that would be another thing. But that doesn't mean the first part must look bad. Even the title says "climactic battle" so I will trust Toei.

I expect a good first part, with things improving in the second one. And I also expect this episode to beat episode 57 in quality.
Fingers crossed.
Yeah given that the preview mentions some Bulma shenanigans I think the first half will be Zamasu melting but still being unbeatable, the Bulma stuff and then before the eye catch we'll get the fusion and the second half will be what everyone wants SSGSS Vegetto vs Merged Zamasu!!

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 64

Post by Anime Kitten » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:43 pm

Psykomatik wrote:[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Thank you!

The fight animation looks pretty fluid next week. As someone mentioned, the explosion at the end of the NEP was beautiful.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:20 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:

Fingers crossed.
I agree 100%. Vegito will appear probably right after we return from commercial and the fight will have only the cuts that we already saw.
To tell the truth, Shida's cut in 57 wasn't that impressive and it was a little short. On the contrary, here the art is beautiful and the action is super fast. Blasts, punches, kicks, the perfect place for a Shida cut to shine. If only Tate was here too and.......maybe a secret return from Nakatsuru? (lol I went too far)
Nakatsuru be like "hi guys I was working for 3 months on 1 single cut that lasts like 6minutes" and after that the internet will explode lol

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:52 pm

Mazingerdestro wrote: I agree 100%. Vegito will appear probably right after we return from commercial and the fight will have only the cuts that we already saw.
I think there will be more to it than that, also with Otsuka seemingly not getting to draw Vegetto the opening will probably have some good action too. If the NEP is anything to go by this episode is going to be the big spectacle episode, so I expect plenty of beautiful action.
Mazingerdestro wrote:To tell the truth, Shida's cut in 57 wasn't that impressive and it was a little short.
Nah man, Shida's cut in 57 was beautiful, though a bit rushed looking, but his 66 work does look even better.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:55 pm

Does anyone else get OPM vibes from the scene where Vegito has Zamasu pinned down to the floor before being blown away by Zamasu's power?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:02 pm

ryou766 wrote:Does anyone else get OPM vibes from the scene where Vegito has Zamasu pinned down to the floor before being blown away by Zamasu's power?
Yes, I've mentioned this before!
Strong OPM vibes from this.

Is this particular shot Shida?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:11 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:Is this particular shot Shida?
Yup! Shida actually looking like Shida.

After #57 lacked his usual detailed shading, it's nice to see that it's making a proper return in this upcoming episode.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:19 pm

So how much of Shida should we expect this week then?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:26 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So how much of Shida should we expect this week then?
Who can say, have people been keeping an eye on this twitter?
The NEP made it look like there will be a fair amount, but it could just be one 20 second cut that they cut up to make it look like it was a bigger part of the episode. I'm personally hoping for at least 40 seconds, and if it goes over a minute I'll die of happiness.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:29 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
The NEP made it look like there will be a fair amount, but it could just be one 20 second cut that they cut up to make it look like it was a bigger part of the episode. I'm personally hoping for at least 40 seconds, and if it goes over a minute I'll die of happiness.
If he is in for a substantial amount say 60 seconds, would you say prefer if it was 3 cuts that happen in the episode that are 20 seconds each or would you rather have that whole minute?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:33 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
If he is in for a substantial amount say 60 seconds, would you say prefer if it was 3 cuts that happen in the episode that are 20 seconds each or would you rather have that whole minute?
Either would be totally fine, but one long cut would be fuckin awesome.