"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:25 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Tired of Toyotaro throwbacks, once again.
I wonder if Future Trunks will borrow Vegeta's attacks in the manga too :think:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:17 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Tired of Toyotaro throwbacks, once again. The first page with Barbarian and the fish is just like Goku in the first chapter.
That's a reach, the only thing in common is the fish and the direction. Contrary to the other throwbacks, which basically trace the original panels. The last panel might be a throwback or it's such a common sight that I'm confusing it with a previous moment.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:16 am

The green rings allow one to go to the parallel world.
Trunks trained with Vegeta in gravity room, hence why he was strong enough to battle against Black and Zamsu.
I told y'all.

Gig
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gig » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:28 am

Just read chapter 17.
LOL at the Super Mario Kart reference. It feels a bit weird, but is funny!

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:54 pm

Would anyone else love it if Toyotaro had Gogeta appear instead of Vegetto? It would make for a fun reversal of the 90s where Gogeta appeared in the animated format first and Vegetto for the manga as a replacement for him, now it would be the reverse.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:55 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Would anyone else love it if Toyotaro had Gogeta appear instead of Vegetto? It would make for a fun reversal of the 90s where Gogeta appeared in the animated format first and Vegetto for the manga as a replacement for him, now it would be the reverse.
I don't thinK Toriyama would have an issue with it, since he'd like for Toyotaro to do his own thing too. It'd be interesting, and it could still work. Gogeta being used to wear down Merged Zamasu until they can seal him away.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:01 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Would anyone else love it if Toyotaro had Gogeta appear instead of Vegetto?
Me. And it would be way better if that happen.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:04 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Would anyone else love it if Toyotaro had Gogeta appear instead of Vegetto? It would make for a fun reversal of the 90s where Gogeta appeared in the animated format first and Vegetto for the manga as a replacement for him, now it would be the reverse.
Nope, since Gogeta should even exist because Vegeta is decently shorter than Goku. Never understood how people ignore that. I guess the anime messing up the character's height might be the cause.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:07 pm

LightBing wrote:
Nope, since Gogeta should even exist because Vegeta is decently shorter than Goku. Never understood how people ignore that. I guess the anime messing up the character's height might be the cause.
Vegeta becoming a good guy is making him taller :P
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:11 pm

Height was never a problem for the Metamoran fusion of Goku and Vegeta. The "similar height" is required only for the fingers part of the dance. Otherwise the fusion won't work, as we saw in Dragon Ball GT, Goku went back to be a kid and Vegeta remained as Super Saiyan 4, the fusion didn't work because of the height.

Also, Toriyama said recently that the Metamoran fusion doesn't have anymore of that requirements. Don't know why people still ignore Toriyama's statement.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:17 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Vegeta becoming a good guy is making him taller
What?! They told me as a kid to drink milk! Time to go help grannies cross the street. :angel:
Grimlock wrote:Height was never a problem for the Metamoran fusion of Goku and Vegeta. The "similar height" is required only for the fingers part of the dance. Otherwise the fusion won't work, as we saw in Dragon Ball GT, Goku went back to be a kid and Vegeta remained as Super Saiyan 4, the fusion didn't work because of the height.

Also, Toriyama said recently that the Metamoran fusion doesn't have anymore of that requirements. Don't know why people still ignore Toriyama's statement.
Could you please direct me towards that statement? First time I heard of it.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:39 pm

LightBing wrote:Could you please direct me towards that statement? First time I heard of it.
Q4: Can anybody perform Fusion if their body size and power are the same?
Toriyama: It’s hard, but they can!
I think it’s possible to merge no matter the conditions, as long as it all goes well. I even think it’s possible for a larger number of people. However, since it’s quite hard for both parties to strike that delicate balance, it’s very difficult for two extremely different people to fuse. In that sense, synchronized swimmers would probably be really good at Fusion. By the way, there are many different types of Fusion, and the kind Goku learned is the one for increasing battle power.
Goku and Vegeta are not that different in height. Only kid Goku and SS4 Vegeta, but that's a different story.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:52 pm

Sandubadear wrote:
LightBing wrote:Could you please direct me towards that statement? First time I heard of it.
Q4: Can anybody perform Fusion if their body size and power are the same?
Toriyama: It’s hard, but they can!
I think it’s possible to merge no matter the conditions, as long as it all goes well. I even think it’s possible for a larger number of people. However, since it’s quite hard for both parties to strike that delicate balance, it’s very difficult for two extremely different people to fuse. In that sense, synchronized swimmers would probably be really good at Fusion. By the way, there are many different types of Fusion, and the kind Goku learned is the one for increasing battle power.
Goku and Vegeta are not that different in height. Only kid Goku and SS4 Vegeta, but that's a different story.
Thank you. I could see it happen based on this. Although the way it happened in the movie completely diminished the difficulty Mr.Toriyama is talking about, it forces the fusion without caring for the writing.
Did the same thing happened in DBGT?

If it happened in the manga, I would only like it if Vegeta made an effort to learn the dance. Any learn it on the spot shenanigans would be awful.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:57 pm

LightBing wrote:Thank you. I could see it happen based on this. Although the way it happened in the movie completely diminished the difficulty Mr.Toriyama is talking about, it forces the fusion without caring for the writing.
Did the same thing happened in DBGT?

If it happened in the manga, I would only like it if Vegeta made an effort to learn the dance. Any learn it on the spot shenanigans would be awful.
Yes.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:03 pm

Yeah..., I don't like that at all. It just devalues everything before it. The kids had to actually learn the technique and even failed twice to show how hard it was.
With Goku and Vegeta it should be even harder than with the kids, since they have more differences than Goten and Trunks had.
It's just bad writing.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:48 pm

LightBing wrote:
Even ignoring Toriyama's recent statement, it was said in the manga that the fighters should have similar heights, not exactly the same. Goku was trying to persuade Vegeta to do Fusion in the manga, so they shouldn't have any issues.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:10 pm

Sandubadear wrote:Goku and Vegeta are not that different in height.
It depends on what point in the story you're in, and whether you're talking about the manga or the show. Vegeta's height is oddly inconsistent.
Retired.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:21 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
LightBing wrote:
Vegeta becoming a good guy is making him taller :P
You mean, he GROWS as a character... ahhhhhh.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:55 am

Sandubadear wrote:Goku and Vegeta are not that different in height.
How so?

Goku is 5.9 (175 cm) and Vegeta is 5.5 (164 cm), that's some difference in height.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:43 pm

Veget is the stronger fusion so he's a better choice than Gogeeta and him being permanent brings more tension to the battle when they defuse.