Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BakaManiaHD
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 65

Post by BakaManiaHD » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:03 pm

Does anyone know who drew this?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
kill me

CarL_J

Post by CarL_J » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:09 pm

BakaManiaHD wrote:Does anyone know who drew this?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Yamamuro

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:23 pm

I appreciate that Yamamruo is trying to do something more dynamic there with Trunks and Zamasu, but man Vegetto's face is so lifeless. I do really like Trunks' hair and its shading though.
Also Vegetto is drawn surprisingly buff for modern Yamamuro.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:49 pm

Yeah, I'm very torn on the image, honestly.

That Vegetto is irredeemably terrible. The mouth is at a totally different angle to the face, his right arm is totally detached from his body making it look ridiculously long, and... what is he looking at? It's a sub-par recreation of Nakatsuru's beautiful Budokai 2 cover.

On the other hand, I really like that Trunks. That's one of the most dynamic poses that Yamamuro's come up with in a long time. I love the hand pose too since it reminds me a lot of how Shida tends to draw things. The placement of the hand is somewhat suspect, though. :shifty:

I don't really have anything to say about Zamasu. He's drawn fine, but it's just a little bit bland. He's kinda just... stood there. And I think that's ultimately my main issue with the image: it doesn't feel like a cohesive piece. It looks like a bunch of independent images slapped on a page with no thought given to how they come together. You can cook a bunch of wonderful foods, but throwing them all on the same plate does not make for a fine meal.

--

On another note, Animator's Corner had an error in their listings with Hiroyuki Itai. They had his credits split as two people, Hiroyuki Itai and Hiroyuki Sakai, since his name can be read both ways, I guess. I'd previously said him returning to supervise in episode #67 would be his first appearance since episode 2 of Super and it would be a promotion.

This is obviously not the case since realising the error. He made his supervisor debut in episode #64 and has worked on a bunch of episodes in the series, though he vanished after episode 43 and only returned again for #61.

Not the most interesting error correction in the world, but it'll be fun to get another opportunity to work out his style, at least!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:52 pm

Ajay wrote:And I think that's ultimately my main issue with the image: it doesn't feel like a cohesive piece. It looks like a bunch of independent images slapped on a page with no thought given to how they come together. You can cook a bunch of wonderful foods, but throwing them all on the same plate does not make for a fine meal.
I half-expect that that's what happened. Yamamuro threw a few drawings at them, and the magazine taped them together into a halfway cohesive ad-piece.
Retired.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:59 pm

Oh my god, I didn't even notice the placement of Trunks' hand, guess he's going to be using two energy blades! XD
I think the Zamasu drawing would be totally fine if it was part of a piece that it actually fit with.

So Hiroyuki Itai/Sakai is only getting 3 weeks between episodes? That could be worrying, however he didn't do any animation work on 64 and he may have done very little in the way of correction work too, so he may have been focused on 67 at that time and his work on 64 was mainly support. Also it's very interesting that he disappeared from the series and came back to the series in almost the exact same timing as Inaba Jin... I wonder if there is a reason for that or if it's a coincidence.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:11 pm

I also thought Trunks reminded me of Shida. Heck, the entire piece feels like it's part of a Shida cut, where he's just going to move from one character to the next seamlessly. It's like someone zoomed out on one of those cuts and we got to see the full picture. Except...yeah, Vegetto is aiming at absolutely nothing.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:11 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:Also it's very interesting that he disappeared from the series and came back to the series in almost the exact same timing as Inaba Jin... I wonder if there is a reason for that or if it's a coincidence.
I know that they both worked on the Future Trunks special which aired around the time #56 came out. They both then returned to Super for #61, so I guess they just went right back to the series after finishing that up.

Not really sure why they left Super for a while in the first place, though. I can't image the special took all that long to make and they appear to have done work on other series in the mean time.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:17 pm

Ajay wrote:
I know that they both worked on the Future Trunks special which aired around the time #56 came out. They both then returned to Super for #61, so I guess they just went right back to the series after finishing that up.

Not really sure why they left Super for a while in the first place, though. I can't image the special took all that long to make and they appear to have done work on other series in the mean time.
We got those two as well Otsuka Ken after that special, can we get Takahashi Yuya now too? He'd be a great addition to one of the episodes after 66 to help elevate it.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:37 am

Am I the only one who's tired of these "DBS in 90's animation!" pictures?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:41 am

ryou766 wrote:Am I the only one who's tired of these "DBS in 90's animation!" pictures?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Everyone's sick of them. They don't look like the 90's picture, they look like Orange Bricks, only with less film damage and more overly-contrasted and overly-saturated. Whoever does these has no idea what they're doing, I could do a better job with some dingy app on my phone.
Retired.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:43 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
ryou766 wrote:Am I the only one who's tired of these "DBS in 90's animation!" pictures?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Everyone's sick of them. They don't look like the 90's picture, they look like Orange Bricks, only with less film damage and more overly-contrasted and overly-saturated. Whoever does these has no idea what they're doing, I could do a better job with some dingy app on my phone.
Yeah, the colours look horrid here, they are way to saturated.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:46 am

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Holy fuck those colors are awful.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:49 am

It's even more painful when people comment, "THIS IS THE REAL CLASSIC DB-DBZ STYLE! NOT THE FKIN DB SUPER!" (Yes, this is an actual comment.)

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:48 am

Does anyone know who is going animate/art the next episode?

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:56 am

First pic of 67:

So... it will be Kitano, right? NewType got it wrong (again), right?

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:57 am

Pannaliciour wrote:Does anyone know who is going animate/art the next episode?
Karasawa and Shimanuki are going to be the supervisors of the episode.

Shida is going to animate a portion, as well as Ken Otsuka(unfortunately he won't be animating any of the Vegetto scenes from a tweet he did).

Futoshi Highashide should also be onboard.

-
Psykomatik wrote:First pic of 67:

That looks like Kitano to me.
Last edited by JazzMazz on Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:12 am

Yikes, that's bad looking.
Hopefully 68 and 69 are better looking.
Last edited by ArchedThunder on Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:14 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Yikes, that's bad looking.
Thats why I thought it was Kitano.

Kitano when rushed can never seem to make something properly proportioned or drawn symmetrically. Case in point, Trunk's right eyebrow is only slightly curved, but for the most part fairly straight, while his left eyebrow is far more curved than the right. This creates this uneven feeling when you look at his face.(it also doesn't help that his left eye is slightly smaller than the right)

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:30 am

I don't understand why they've started using Kitano to fill the gaps to give other supervisors more time, he's not nearly good enough for that kind of role. I just hope it leads to 68 and 69 being nice looking episodes.
If we're getting 3 or 4 solid episodes of combat it makes sense to sacrifice one of them, especially with how thinly spread Toei is right now. If 67 ends up being the end of the fight then I'm going to be puzzled as to why they gave that to Kitano so soon after his last episode when they have so many other supervisors.