"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:35 pm

alakazam^ wrote:Veget is the stronger fusion so he's a better choice than Gogeeta and him being permanent brings more tension to the battle when they defuse.
Toriyama seemed to find him viable enough combatively for the manga, plus, having a fusion with a time limit creates its own tension as any second he could just split apart and give Zamasu victory. Both of them are good, but this would be a nice switch around of the 90s.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:39 pm

Maybe Toriyama chose Vegetto instead of Gogeta because Vegetto originated in the manga vs a movie? But Toriyama used Bardock in stuff so I dunno.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:44 pm

Chuquita wrote:Maybe Toriyama chose Vegetto instead of Gogeta because Vegetto originated in the manga vs a movie? But Toriyama used Bardock in stuff so I dunno.
Exactly, Gogeta was gonna be in the manga but that was the big selling point of movie 12 and Toriyama didn't want to steal the anime staffs thunder so he invented Vegetto instead.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:02 pm

Chuquita wrote:Maybe Toriyama chose Vegetto instead of Gogeta because Vegetto originated in the manga vs a movie? But Toriyama used Bardock in stuff so I dunno.
I'm curious. Has Toriyama ever spoken about Movie #12? He used Bardock since he praised the TV special.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:13 pm

ryou766 wrote:
I'm curious. Has Toriyama ever spoken about Movie #12? He used Bardock since he praised the TV special.
He said that the reason he created the alternative fusion method was because he didn't want to copy the movie. So Vegetto exists because Gogeta was created first.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:46 pm

HeroR wrote:He said that the reason he created the alternative fusion method was because he didn't want to copy the movie. So Vegetto exists because Gogeta was created first.
Where was this said?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:47 pm

alakazam^ wrote:
HeroR wrote:He said that the reason he created the alternative fusion method was because he didn't want to copy the movie. So Vegetto exists because Gogeta was created first.
Where was this said?
I believe it was an interview on this site. Sorry, but I don't remember where it is, but I do remember reading it on here. Maybe one of mobs know.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:37 am

alakazam^ wrote:Where was this said?
Akira Toriyama wrote:That was simply, since Fusion was a plot point that was already taken by one of the movies, I was wondering what I should do; I had always been drawing earrings [on Kaiōshin], so I thought, “perhaps I can use these”…
He said it in Daizenshuu 6. Vegetto just exists because Toei made Gogeta before.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:07 am

Does anyone know when the new chapter comes out?
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:05 am

Cetra wrote:Does anyone know when the new chapter comes out?
On the 21st, 9 days from now.
Expect details on friday.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:25 am

I wonder if we'll see Goku vs Black or more Universe 12 Time Traveller foreshadowing in the next chapter :think:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:26 am

Noah wrote:I wonder if we'll see Goku vs Black or more Universe 12 Time Traveller foreshadowing in the next chapter :think:
Unless Black attacks while Goku is away or they go into the future, I doubt we'll see Black vs Goku happen in the present. That seems to have been a Toei thing.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:27 am

And to think this will be the penultimate chapter of the year and Toyotaro said that his manga will be ahead of the anime pretty soon. One can think that this chapter will skip a lot more of what appeared in the anime.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:42 am

It's clear that there won't be Black in the past. We're already way past that point. I guess the 2nd travel to the future might not exist either, only the first, where they might quickly retreat, and then the third and final one.

Patrolman Jaco
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Patrolman Jaco » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:42 pm

Good on Toyotaro for making Planet Babari seem more genuine and giving it more personality, the Babari have varying designs instead of the same character design copied and pasted for all the inhabitants like in the anime, they were fighting over sustenance rather than fighting over bumping into each other, they also appear a bit more feral rushing towards people on all fours and he even showed that the Babari were starting to become more civilized after the 1000 year time skip.

I wonder how Toyotaro is able to put these little titbits like people from Universe 12 being the first mortals capable of time travel and Whis referencing the Jil-Jil bird from his home planet, is Toriyama really writing that far ahead or are these things Toyotaro added himself?

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

5 Timelines

Universe 12 Parallel World
Future Trunks' Parallel World
The Main Timeline
Cell's Parallel World
Cell Games without Future Trunks Parallel World

So Future Trunks' current time travel trip hasn't created a Time Ring yet? With all this recent God of Destruction and Kaioshin link exposition, I wonder if destroying a Time Ring would lead to the destruction of the Timeline it was birthed from.

Gowasu came across more wise in the manga, his speech about how there is no existence without value/the cycle of life, how Zamasu should make calm rational decisions without bias and how Zamasu shouldn't let his strong sense of justice cross the line into tyranny were more meaningful than anything Anime Gowasu said. In the anime he gives Zamasu a lame ass speech about how Good and Evil are necessary like something out of Kingdom Hearts but I guess it's fitting since Zamasu comes across as a bad RPG villain. This version of Gowasu still fucks up and tells Zamasu about the Super Dragon Ball though.

Zamasu still comes across as a giant hypocrite in this version as well, he calls the Babari savages for killing one another, yet needlessly kills a Barbarian and even grins after doing so. Seems like a part of Zamasu's motivation here is that he wants to flaunt his power he even got all sullen when told his current role has no need for the strength he worked so hard to obtain, this could kind of explain why he didn't/won't use the Super Dragon Balls to remove all mortals from the world, he wants to do the deed himself.

Despite the limited time the manga has it still manages to have more entertaining moments of down time than the anime and it even gives us insight on how hard Future Trunks has had it in his timeline, doing something as normal as playing games and relaxing with friends and family became so alien to him, but it is nice to see Future Trunks becoming more proactive watching someone being depressed all the time isn't entertaining.

In the anime Future Trunks had a really weak resolve that was kind of reminiscent of Ichigo from Bleach, he needed three pep moments with Gohan, Vegeta and Present Trunks. Hopefully the manga shorten it to just the one with Present Trunks, which will probably end up being better since Future Trunks and Present Trunks are actually interacting quite a bit in the manga, would be a shocker if Toyotaro ends up showing the fight between them since even the anime off screened that event.

The manga also showed Trunks training with Vegeta before they returned to the future, which was only a throw away line in the anime. Now Vegeta needs to introduce Future Trunks to God Ki and teach him SSB, so him standing a chance against SSR Black makes sense and he doesn't need to resort to some nameless asspull form.

Kaioshin bringing up Kibito during the convention about Gods that look down on Mortals, referencing his behaviour in the Majin arc and not making Goku act like a toddler in regards to Beerus' warning about the King of All like in the anime. Toyotaro has a way better grasp of the characters than Toei.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:51 pm

Toyotaro-sensei, save us.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:14 pm

ryou766 wrote:Toyotaro-sensei, save us.
If Toriyama's plot outline for the ending of the arc has "fuse", "Vegetto", "defuse" and "ki sword" in it, Toyotaro will have his work cut out for him.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:16 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
ryou766 wrote:Toyotaro-sensei, save us.
If Toriyama's plot outline for the ending of the arc has "fuse", "Vegetto", "defuse" and "ki sword" in it, Toyotaro will have his work cut out for him.
Let's just hope.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:21 pm

I'm convinced Vegetto was Toei more so then SSGSSKK. The sloppy random defusion from the Freeza arc mades it return here.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:30 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I'm convinced Vegetto was Toei more so then SSGSSKK. The sloppy random defusion from the Freeza arc mades it return here.
What defusion happened in the Freeza arc?