"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:43 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I'm convinced Vegetto was Toei more so then SSGSSKK. The sloppy random defusion from the Freeza arc mades it return here.
What defusion happened in the Freeza arc?
Gotenks. While fighting he randomly defused...

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:45 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I'm convinced Vegetto was Toei more so then SSGSSKK. The sloppy random defusion from the Freeza arc mades it return here.
What defusion happened in the Freeza arc?
That happened in the Majin Boo arc, not the Freeza arc.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:48 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: What defusion happened in the Freeza arc?
I think he means in the F arc how Gotenks shows up then immediately splits.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:50 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Gotenks. While fighting he randomly defused...
Yeah I should have mentioned Golden Freeza arc! My bad.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:52 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: That happened in the Majin Boo arc, not the Freeza arc.
Yeah I should have mentioned Golden Freeza arc! My bad.
Oh, okay. Yeah, the was bullshit as well.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:20 pm

Patrolman Jaco wrote:I wonder how Toyotaro is able to put these little titbits like people from Universe 12 being the first mortals capable of time travel and Whis referencing the Jil-Jil bird from his home planet, is Toriyama really writing that far ahead or are these things Toyotaro added himself?

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

5 Timelines

Universe 12 Parallel World
Future Trunks' Parallel World
The Main Timeline
Cell's Parallel World
Cell Games without Future Trunks Parallel World

So Future Trunks' current time travel trip hasn't created a Time Ring yet? With all this recent God of Destruction and Kaioshin link exposition, I wonder if destroying a Time Ring would lead to the destruction of the Timeline it was birthed from.
There should be 7 timelines, actually. The Green Time Rings were 3 last time, so they existed before Trunks' & Cell's time travels. It appears that only one timeline was created, and the fact that Cell went back 1 year before Trunks came to kill Freeza & created the new timeline altered the history of the two timelines instead of creating more timelines, erasing the events from Cell's & the unseen timelines. Just like in Super, where Trunks came to the past before Zamasu became Black and altered history, erasing the events from Black's timeline (Zamasu died before he became Black).
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:21 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:There should be 7 timelines, actually. The Green Time Rings were 3 last time, so they existed before Trunks' & Cell's time travels. It appears that only one timeline was created, and the fact that Cell went back 1 year before Trunks came to kill Freeza & created the new timeline altered the history of the two timelines instead of creating more timelines, erasing the events from Cell's & the unseen timelines. Just like in Super, where Trunks came to the past before Zamasu became Black and altered history, erasing the events from Black's timeline (Zamasu died before he became Black).
Just to be clear, very little of this can be stated as a fact in regards to the Super manga. Whether the new seemingly "fluid" time travel rules even exist here and whether they'll be retroactively applied is still to be seen. Since we aren't set up for a paradox in the manga at the moment, it's entirely possible that Toyotaro's explanation for the whole situation this arc won't be the same as what we've gotten in the anime and had officially supplemented with the website's timeline. That would obviously affect how you'd have to view the whole concept in this continuity.

Plus there's other fun stuff to think about. For example, the U12 guy was the first person to split the timeline, but Trunks' first trip to the past from Cell's timeline may not have caused a split. He could have just jumped to a point in the timeline the U12 guy created and altered its future. That would only require 2 more Time Rings for the unseen Timeline and Trunks' spared-for-the-moment timeline before Black arrives. Leaving the final one to have been created by someone else, or however Toyotaro explains these events.

I dunno. Speculation aside, that was all a long way to say we still have to wait and see what exactly is going on in this version.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:42 am

I'm fearing that Toyotaro could actually skip major plot points in the manga just to have "his manga" ahead of the anime again :roll:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:11 am

Looking at the last episode of the anime I see Toei's hand in a lot of the plot. Toyotarõ can and should ignore a bunch of fluff from the anime.

I predict:
- Only one trip to the future. Black will turn Rosé in the middle of the fight.
- No Mafuba. It was almost completely useless besides inducing the fusion of Zamasu, which could be done in so many ways.
- No Vegetto. It was a redundant plot point. Pure fan-service.
- Ignore or substantially reduce the moments with the survivors.

Two, maybe three chapters and the manga can wrap up this arc. Without rushing.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:24 am

I'm betting the manga won't have so much travelling between timelines and the first time they go into the future will be the last. Also, Vegetto is most likely Toei.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:03 am

Doctor. wrote:I'm betting the manga won't have so much travelling between timelines and the first time they go into the future will be the last. Also, Vegetto is most likely Toei.
I predict two trips into the future. The first will have Black & Future Zamasu stomping the good guys, giving their info dump origin story and end with the good guys retreating into the past before going back for the finale. The middle trip can easily be repurposed for the first one to keep the pacing up.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:34 pm

LightBing wrote:Looking at the last episode of the anime I see Toei's hand in a lot of the plot. Toyotarõ can and should ignore a bunch of fluff from the anime.
Spirit Bomb Blade would still be a thing? :think:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:14 pm

So when are these manga chapters usually released?
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:41 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:So when are these manga chapters usually released?
The same time as it is every single month, in about a week.
Retired.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:35 pm

Noah wrote:
LightBing wrote:Looking at the last episode of the anime I see Toei's hand in a lot of the plot. Toyotarõ can and should ignore a bunch of fluff from the anime.
Spirit Bomb Blade would still be a thing? :think:
If it isn't like in the anime from the writers ass directly to the screen, I would like it to be included. It's an interesting attack, that's for sure.
Looking at what we know it's likely Mr.Toriyama just said: "Trunks finishes off Absolute Zamasu", maybe even "Goku, Vegeta or Trunks finish Absolute Zamasu".
So yeah, the attack is in all likelihood a Toei creation.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:38 pm

How would you guys personally feel if Toyotaro actually used Gogeta instead of Vegetto?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:50 pm

ryou766 wrote:How would you guys personally feel if Toyotaro actually used Gogeta instead of Vegetto?
That would be better for sure (no lame Potara retcon), but to stop thinking about it... This could be a marketing strategy, have Gogeta Blue in the manga and Vegetto Blue in the anime for selling merchandise and stuff
Last edited by Noah on Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Freezerbaby
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freezerbaby » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:56 pm

ryou766 wrote:How would you guys personally feel if Toyotaro actually used Gogeta instead of Vegetto?
I think it´s stated goku and vegeta can´t fuse because of height difference

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:12 pm

Freezerbaby wrote:
I think it´s stated goku and vegeta can´t fuse because of height difference
No, Goku was trying to persuade Vegeta in the manga to use Fusion. Toriyama also said that height actually doesn't matter, it's just that the bigger the difference, the more difficult it is to merge.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:30 pm

Vegeta also is aware of the dance, as he said he saw it in the manga. But he refuses to do it because it's ridiculous.

Like the bingo dance isn't, Vegeta. Lol