Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:34 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
ABED wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:I was more talking about Goku's backstory then planet's Vegeta's destruction.
It's Goku's backstory that you consider a bad retcon?
I'll have to reread Raditz's exposition, but I seem to remember that all lot of new stuff kinda retcons it.
What new stuff?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:36 pm

ABED wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:
ABED wrote:It's Goku's backstory that you consider a bad retcon?
I'll have to reread Raditz's exposition, but I seem to remember that all lot of new stuff kinda retcons it.
What new stuff?
Episode of Bardock and Minus for the most part.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:32 pm

Isn't Episode of Bardock an else worlds tale?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:02 pm

ABED wrote:Isn't Episode of Bardock an else worlds tale?
I really don't know what to believe anymore.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:14 pm

The boo arc is the best arc and the Freeza arc is the worst.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Adrian Malacoda
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Adrian Malacoda » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:43 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
ABED wrote:Isn't Episode of Bardock an else worlds tale?
I really don't know what to believe anymore.
Naho Ooshi does refer to it as a "what-if story" in the introduction. However, since Episode of Bardock is a sequel to the Father of Goku special, I don't think it's really relevant to Minus.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:39 pm

I thought the ROF outfits were atrocious.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:58 pm

Bansho64 wrote:I thought the ROF outfits were atrocious.
Yes! I hate Gohan's especially.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:39 pm

Out of all the things that came out the Majin Buu arc, the idea of Mystic Gohan/Ultimate Gohan/Potential Unleashed Gohan etc., was THE WORST.

I didn't mind that Gohan got some kind of power-up, but the presentation/appearance of it was so bland and so cheap that I could tell Toriyama probably was at his breaking point of creativity. In terms of power-scaling, I was so confused for many years as to how powerful he was in comparison to fusions and SSJ3 transformations.

Perhaps it would have been better if he looked SLIGHTLY different. Better yet, Krillin, Yamcha, and Tien Shinhan would have benefited in having their potentials unlocked since they don't transform.
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:50 pm

Esfír Dedragón wrote:Krillin, Yamcha, and Tien Shinhan would have benefited in having their potentials unlocked since they don't transform.
Krillin's potential has already been unlocked by the Grand Elder...not that it helped him much...
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Adrian Malacoda
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Adrian Malacoda » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:18 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
Esfír Dedragón wrote:Krillin, Yamcha, and Tien Shinhan would have benefited in having their potentials unlocked since they don't transform.
Krillin's potential has already been unlocked by the Grand Elder...not that it helped him much...
As was Gohan's, yet the Elder Kaioshin was able to further unlock more of his power. Has there ever been any clarification on how the Namek Elder and the Elder Kaioshin's boosts differ? I seem to recall that the Namek Elder's boost simply unlocked up to the user's potential, whereas the Elder Kaioshin's boost actually somehow went beyond that.

edit: According to Daizenshuu 7, as quoted by VegettoEX,
This is a technique that draws out the dormant power that each person has. In The Eldest's case, he only triggers the drawing out of that person's dormant power; if there is no power sleeping inside that person, no change will occur. He is able to use this technique merely by holding his hand over the person's head. In the Elder Kaioshin's case, he is able to draw out a person's dormant power beyond their limits, but this requires him to do a dance, and takes over 20 hours.
So it seems like Kuririn would benefit from the Elder Kaioshin's boost even beyond what he got from the Namek Elder's. Similarly, Tenshinhan and Yamcha would get at least some benefit out of it.

RedShift
Beyond Newbie

Post by RedShift » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:48 pm

Gohan is (and always was) a useless character and I'm tired of hearing people moan about him. The only times he's been relevant or useful is when he's massively more powerful than whomever he's up against... and he screwed up both of those encounters quite royally. His character is done and needs to be retired. Have him work with Bulma, maybe train passively so he at least retains the power he had against Cell. He has no business being a front-line character anymore.

Besides his warning about the androids and delivering the heart-virus cure.. Future Trunks was also a useless character. He may have gone through a lot in his timeline, but he accomplishes little besides those first two things after the fact. Desroying the androids & Cell in his own timeline isn't exactly impressive when he's massively more powerful than them. His glorification, gary-sue powers, and his unexplained asspull transformation in Super are beyond ridiculous. I swear someone at Toei has a shrine dedicated to him.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:06 pm

Esfír Dedragón wrote:Out of all the things that came out the Majin Buu arc, the idea of Mystic Gohan/Ultimate Gohan/Potential Unleashed Gohan etc., was THE WORST.

I didn't mind that Gohan got some kind of power-up, but the presentation/appearance of it was so bland and so cheap that I could tell Toriyama probably was at his breaking point of creativity. In terms of power-scaling, I was so confused for many years as to how powerful he was in comparison to fusions and SSJ3 transformations.

Perhaps it would have been better if he looked SLIGHTLY different. Better yet, Krillin, Yamcha, and Tien Shinhan would have benefited in having their potentials unlocked since they don't transform.
It wouldn't help them like Gohan because the powers Elder Kaioshin unlocked were what Gohan already had but suppressed due to his docile nature.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:37 pm

Goku's was definitely worse. The one he has now is just too good man!
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:44 pm

Goku's was definitely worse. The one he has now is just too good man! I think it looks better than any of the other outfits including EOZ.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:58 pm

kinisking wrote: Goku's was definitely worse. The one he has now is just too good man! I think it looks better than any of the other outfits including EOZ.
Well, it's nice to see that people enjoy it! :P
Personally I thought it might be cool to see Goku either
this:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Or this:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler].
They're some pretty unique looks!

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:09 am

Another unpopular Dragon Ball opinion would be Superman Stalkers always claiming that their boytoy in red and blue would always beat Goku.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:41 am

Steven Bloodriver wrote:Another unpopular Dragon Ball opinion would be Superman Stalkers always claiming that their boytoy in red and blue would always beat Goku.
Supes beats Goku. And that's I have to say about that.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:43 am

Golden Freeza is one of the best things this franchise has ever given us. The color palette consists of very nice shades of yellow, and it blends beautifully with the purple aura. Beyond that, the gold theme showed that Freeza finally overcame his fear of Super Saiyans, and went so far to even mock them about it.
Soppa Saia People wrote:Supes beats Goku. And that's I have to say about that.
Not to turn this into a Superman VS Goku debate, but is there any reason you believe such?
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:44 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Steven Bloodriver wrote:Another unpopular Dragon Ball opinion would be Superman Stalkers always claiming that their boytoy in red and blue would always beat Goku.
Supes beats Goku. And that's I have to say about that.
I beg to differ, Son Goku is the stronger hero.