Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sodhi
I Live Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 66

Post by Sodhi » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:15 pm

This was actually a pretty decent episode. I only saw a few cases of bad art in the first half, not as bad as 62(Yea I know 62 had more to animate, but talking about art here). Second half was so on model.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:18 pm

So Newtype had one of the supervisors right on this episode, I wonder if they simply got Kitano and Kinoshita backwards.
I really hope they got 69 right, I want Manabe and Nashizawa on the Arale vs Goku episode.
Last edited by ArchedThunder on Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:19 pm

Can we just ignore Newtype altogether at this point? They've more than proven themselves unreliable.
Retired.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:21 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Can we just ignore Newtype altogether at this point? They've more than proven themselves unreliable.
They've only been wrong recently and we're not totally sure how wrong they are with the most recent set of episodes. They had 66 right and half of 67 right.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:23 pm

At this point I think we should just treat Newtype as who might be working on an episode.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:55 pm

Anyone have an idea as to who did this shot?

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:02 pm

After watching the episode in full. The second half was a massive improvement over the first.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:07 pm

Episode 67

Animation Supervisors
Kitano Yukihiro & Sakai Hiroyuki

Chief Supervisor
Ide Takeo

Key Animators
Kitano Yukihiro, Nikaido Atsushi, Yashima Yoshitaka, Sasakado Nobuyoshi, Higashide Futoshi, and TAP.

2nd Key Animators
Sakai Hiroyuki, Sato Tomoko, and Studio Myu.

-

Kitano was unsurprisingly poor throughout the entire first half. I'd make a strong case that that was significantly worse than #62. At the very least, #62 had some work that wasn't unsightly from other animators. This was pretty consistently poor.

Outside of the animation, the special effects work wasn't great. The textures were unsightly and the many Zamasu faces in the sky were pretty horrendously executed. Super's digital work has never been good, but this was one of the few episodes that relied so heavily on it, and their flaws really shone through.

The second half was a significant improvement, and I think with a closer look, I should be able to work out Sakai's traits. I know that a particular way of drawing noses stuck out to me in his last episode, and it's here again. Unfortunately, this episode shares several staff #64, so it'll hard to say for certain.

Either way, I'll do my best, and hopefully have something to report tomorrow.

I'm quite curious about the last five minutes or so. Higashide's right down at the bottom, so I don't think it's fair to just give him all the credit for the great art there. I wouldn't be surprised if it were a combination of Sasakado and Higashide.

Oh, and lastly, whatever that Queen Dra business was about is no longer a thing. The director was Takao Iwai, whereas NewType has him as the storyboard artist. The storyboard artist was Koshida Yumi.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:10 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:Yashima again already? I wonder how much he did.
I definitely saw a drawing of ( I think it was Vegeta) that looked like him.

Anyone know who drew Gohan? This is the best he's looked in newer material imo.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:26 pm

kinisking wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:Yashima again already? I wonder how much he did.
I definitely saw a drawing of ( I think it was Vegeta) that looked like him.

Anyone know who drew Gohan? This is the best he's looked in newer material imo.
This looks like a Yashima frame to me.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
It's more in line with the rough work he did on 63 and 64.

DragonBallFan8001
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallFan8001 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:53 pm

ryou766 wrote:Image

Anyone have an idea as to who did this shot?
I noticed this style pop up quite a lot in this episode. Perhaps this is a correction made by Hiroyuki Sakai, although Goku's ear in that screenshot reminds me a little of Takeo Ide's style, so maybe it's the style of one of the key animators with some slight corrections by Takeo Ide. Considering this looks quite different from Kitano, Yashima, and Higashide's art styles, it could possibly have been drawn by either Nikaido Atsushi or Sasakado Nobuyoshi.

I could be wrong, though.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:19 pm

This episode art and animation was ok, it picked up in the second half, not to take anything away from the first half because it looked ok, didn't really see any problems with this episode at all.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:34 am

Nothing noteworthy. The storyboard was alright. That's the only positive in this episode imo. It was kind of expected, so I'm not disappointed.

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:50 am

The animation was passable in the second half but pretty abysmal in the first half. Basically no movement with mediocre stills. Kitano's corrections or key animation were notably bad. I suppose it was the best they could do with all of Super's best staff working on the previous episode, but was still below average for Super.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:39 am

Did I spot a Godmuro Beerus design in the next episode preview? Even the shadows and the angles look like something Yamamuro would make.
Did they brought him back for filler????

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:04 am

Mazingerdestro wrote:Did I spot a Godmuro Beerus design in the next episode preview? Even the shadows and the angles look like something Yamamuro would make.
Did they brought him back for filler????
maybe its a new supervisor, you never know :D

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:05 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Nothing noteworthy. The storyboard was alright. That's the only positive in this episode imo. It was kind of expected, so I'm not disappointed.
The second half was pretty good tho, the art and animation took a huge step upwards imo. and the ending of the episode *nnot the preview* Made most ppl tear up xd

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:19 am

iAnimationLover_ wrote: The second half was pretty good tho, the art and animation took a huge step upwards imo. and the ending of the episode *nnot the preview* Made most ppl tear up xd
I should've worded that better. I agree, 2nd half was pretty standard, but it was nothing special so I didn't feel the need to mention it.

As for the script, yeah it was good and I never had a problem with that. It was a different type of ending. I liked it.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:01 pm

Come on guys.. Really? Sometimes i really don't understand you lot. This episode's animation was superb! Totally amazing and beautiful! Almost unrivaled, stop complaining. There's nothing wrong with this ep's animation. It was God-Level!!

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:04 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:Come on guys.. Really? Sometimes i really don't understand you lot. This episode's animation was superb! Totally amazing and beautiful! Almost unrivaled, stop complaining. There's nothing wrong with this ep's animation. It was God-Level!!
67 did not have superb animation, it was merely a passable looking episode. 66 was superb.
I think you might be confused as to what episode we're talking about