Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alruneia
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Alruneia » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:50 am

ryou766 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
ryou766 wrote: You not having any issue with it doesn't speak for others.
Are you trying to start something? I never said that it did.
You need to calm down.
You are aware that saying this basically means you forfeit the argument, right? I'm not going to get deeply into this, and I'm not going to take sides. This is objective advice. Pre-emptively telling someone to calm down is actually very telling of what you really have to add to the discussion.
Nothing, in case you were wondering.
In short: If all you have is "calm down", don't say anything.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:40 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
ryou766 wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote: The Boo saga gets a bit iffy (H-word, Vegrot) but other then that, it's fine.
Don't forget the use of lasers in place of guns.
I've checked some of the Boo Arc pages, and the change is stupid, but so what? It's miniscule to the point of irrelevance.
Same could be said for dub tranlslations though. I could say so what if Piccolo says "Special Beam Canon". But that doesn't stop a lot of people having a problem with it. Some people might not like things being changed from the original you might think it is irrelevant but others might not.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:59 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
ryou766 wrote:
I've checked some of the Boo Arc pages, and the change is stupid, but so what? It's miniscule to the point of irrelevance.
Same could be said for dub tranlslations though. I could say so what if Piccolo says "Special Beam Canon". But that doesn't stop a lot of people having a problem with it. Some people might not like things being changed from the original you might think it is irrelevant but others might not.
I think changing Makankosospaghetti to Special Beam Canon is a bit more significant because it actually changes the meaning, with "Ma" apparently meaning demon and the rest being some nonsense about a piercing drill of light. It explains very specifically what the technique is. "Special Beam Canon" also describes the technique, but it's much more vague, and it doesn't mention demon. I understand censoring was an issue, but they could have replaced Ma with "Evil" in that case. All-in-all, Special Beam Canon just fails to convey the author's intent.

Replacing guns with lasers though? It's subjective, but I think they both get the same point across... the only point of contention I can think of would be if those two lunatics who shot Mr. Satan used lasers instead of guns, as that might not get the same gritty, realistic brutality and evil across.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:57 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
ryou766 wrote:
I don't care about those, either.
Hyena_Yamcha wrote:The full color Dragon Ball manga is the best way for me to experience the series
I don't think it's the best, something about the palette of the later stuff (23rd Budokai and forward) really turns me off.

Also, they're oddly reluctant to use reds in the backgrounds unless they absolutely have to.
Retired.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:50 pm

Alruneia wrote:
ryou766 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Are you trying to start something? I never said that it did.
You need to calm down.
You are aware that saying this basically means you forfeit the argument, right? I'm not going to get deeply into this, and I'm not going to take sides. This is objective advice. Pre-emptively telling someone to calm down is actually very telling of what you really have to add to the discussion.
Nothing, in case you were wondering.
In short: If all you have is "calm down", don't say anything.
There was no argument.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:30 pm

The driving episode isn't that entertaining.

*hides*

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:31 pm

Doctor. wrote:The driving episode isn't that entertaining.

*hides*
Yeah, it was a pretty run-of-the-mill padding episode. I never got what the big deal was.
Retired.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:42 pm

*hides*
Agreed. I never liked it that much. Though, I will say, I thought Piccolo looked pretty cool in that episode.

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:08 pm

*hides*
It was fun at first but the second try was really boring.
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:12 pm

Like Sean Schemmel's King Kai a lot.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:14 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Like Sean Schemmel's King Kai a lot.
Ditto.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:25 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Ditto.
Hooray, I'm not alone. :mrgreen:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:49 pm

I think characters should just stop appearing when their relevance is over, similar to Launch or Android 17. Even Tenshinhan and Chiaotzu were gone for the majority of the Buu saga.

Come to think of it both Oolong and Puar should have stopped appearing by the end of the Freeza saga at the latest. I know with Yamcha around its hard to ignore Puar, but whatever.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:53 pm

I third this.

I'd have to say The Strongest Fusion is Mr. Kageyama's best song. The vocals (and music, of course) are so much more energetic than Cha-La. And I've also been starting to really like Fusion in general, so that's a thing too.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:02 pm

*hides*
I never found it that funny, either.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:00 pm

From this, we can gather that the driving episode is universally overrated, and that its actual worth has been inflated somehow.
Retired.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:02 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:From this, we can gather that the driving episode is universally overrated, and that its actual worth has been inflated somehow.
You can't really gather that from 5 people agreeing. Many people, myself included, still enjoy it.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:06 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:From this, we can gather that the driving episode is universally overrated, and that its actual worth has been inflated somehow.
You can't really gather that from 5 people agreeing. Many people, myself included, still enjoy it.
I enjoyed it myself.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:14 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
I was being inflammatory.
Retired.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:27 am

Most of the filler in DBZ is good.

The only really bad filler is "Fake Namek," some of the extra Goku/Freeza fight padding in the anime on Namek, and maybe some one-off eps I'm forgetting about. I didn't even mind the Garlic Jr. saga much.

I enjoy all the Saiyan Saga filler, even ones like Princess Snake and the others people tend not to like. Most of the Cell and Buu saga filler was so good I didn't even know it was filler. The extra Great Saiyaman eps were good too.