Mai's cries still send chills down my spine

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Mai's cries still send chills down my spine

Post by Black_Liger » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:28 am

One of the most powerful moments, she literally went berserk in denial, then broke down... I don't know the name of her seiyuu but her cries were too damn real.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Mai's cries still send chills down my spine

Post by Avery » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:28 am

I really like her VA. I don't think I ever heard a voice like that in any other anime. Not sure if it's due to age or something because I never watched the original DB in anime form to compare her performances but I think it's unique.
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:09 am

She really surprised me this arc. Her performance in episode 47 when she is screaming at Trunks to leave her and go to the past because he is humanity's last hope and here breakdown in the most recent episode are so top notch that I can't even put it into words. She really didn't get her due in the original series or Super until now, as the character was pretty shallow before. But now she delivered everytime Mai got screen time. With Nozawa and Miki being outright perfect, it's easy to see why she got overshadowed, but her work is definetely superb.

I am not familiar with her other work so this is the first time she stood out to me, but if she's this good in her other roles, she really deserves the spot in the all-star cast that is the Japanese version.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:21 am

It was nothing special. It was a passable voice overall. You could replace her voice throughout the entire arc and it wouldn't change anything unlike Zamasu or Trunks. To me it's the circumstance of what happened #67 that made the scene harrowing not her actual crying.
Maybe I'm being harsh maybe it's because she had little to do in this arc. She just kept poping in and out here and there randomly saying Trunks name.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:47 am

Theres a lot more seiyuu's that can do a better job than her, like Hayami Saori/Hanazawa Kana/Kugiyama Rie/Sawashiro Miyuki the list goes on.
TBH her voice ruined the moment for me.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:09 pm

Mai has become a definite breakout character thanks to the Future Trunks saga. Toriyama bringing her (with the Pilaf gang) back in Battle of Gods to be Trunks' romantic interest was a great move.

Her voice actress Eiko Yamada, who has voiced her since the beginning of DB, made her from a comical sidekick to a strong character. Much of the credit goes to her too.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:01 pm

I legit wanted to give her a fucking hug the moment she had that breakdown and starting crying. One of the things this arc has managed to do is that it made me give a shit about Mai's character.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:53 pm

Mai's reaction to situation was downright heartbreaking. You could really tell that she carried an immense burden to protect what was left of Earth and to see all the effort to be essentially worth nothing would send any person into downward spiral of emotions.

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:57 pm

I just that scene was more animated, because the the VA did a great job. That's really one of the first times the I was taken out of a scene by animation.

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:49 pm

I felt so helpless watching that secne. Future Mai and Future Trunks, for ALL their efforts, were rewarded with nothing but pain and loss in the end. Seriously, I almost CRIED at that scene. :cry: