"Goku never kissed": Do you take it as a joke or (un)funny trivia?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

"Goku never kissed": Do you take it as a joke or (un)funny trivia?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:53 am

I want to believe it as a joke and I even blamed it on Toei but even the manga is it so it's probably something Toriyama wrote in... though I wouldn't mind it so much if it was added to improve the story instead of pandering to certain fanbases, like most of Super is like. It's show a lack of profession on the writer's part to blatantly over two pairings (one... really, really shitty) over another and it dehumanizes Goku's character.

[spoiler]ImageImage[/spoiler]

Please, share your thoughts on the matter.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Re: "Goku never kissed": Do you take it as a joke or (un)funny trivia?

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:56 am

Neither.

He didn't say he never kissed. He meant that he never delivered a Senzu in the manner that Trunks just did to Mai. The joke there was the miscommunication with Vegeta. That was all.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:59 am

I'm still hoping it's miscommunication on Gokû's part and Vegeta's imagination running away with him, as it seems in the anime at least.

With the manga being more direct...I want it to be a setup for Gokû to get a kiss at the end of the arc.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:00 pm

How is Super pandering to certain segments of the fanbase?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:12 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:Neither.

He didn't say he never kissed. He meant that he never delivered a Senzu in the manner that Trunks just did to Mai. The joke there was the miscommunication with Vegeta. That was all.
If the DBS manga is anything to go by, then Goku indeed never kissed.

Herms translation

[spoiler]Page 52
Goku: “Whaah?! He’s sticking their lips together…!”
Vegeta: “Haven’t you ever…done that before?”
Goku: “Hm? Done what?”
Vegeta: “Haven’t you…ever kissed…?”
Goku: “Of course not!”
Vegeta: “….Aren’t you married?”
Goku: “Huh? What’s that got to do with it?”
Vegeta: “N…Never mind…”[/spoiler]

Source: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30467&start=8900#p1193243
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:17 pm

Helios518 wrote:If the DBS manga is anything to go by, then Goku indeed never kissed.
Obviously, there is no official canon, and it all comes down to preference, but I don't take the manga as canon. Supplementary information, sure, but something that conflicts or contradicts the anime is overruled. In this case, he didn't say he never kissed in the anime, so in my personal headcanon (and because it's not a retcon), that takes precedence over the manga.
MyAnimeList | AniList

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:22 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
Helios518 wrote:If the DBS manga is anything to go by, then Goku indeed never kissed.
Obviously, there is no official canon, and it all comes down to preference, but I don't take the manga as canon. Supplementary information, sure, but something that conflicts or contradicts the anime is overruled. In this case, he didn't say he never kissed in the anime, so in my personal headcanon (and because it's not a retcon), that takes precedence over the manga.
I see, you should've clarified that in your original post because that one seems like you were treating it as a fact as oppose to your view.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:25 pm

Helios518 wrote:I see, you should've clarified that in your original post because that one seems like you were treating it as a fact as oppose to your view.
Apologies. I phrased it as such because I wasn't aware of the line in the manga being so much more direct.
MyAnimeList | AniList

Trickster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trickster » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:25 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:Obviously, there is no official canon, and it all comes down to preference, but I don't take the manga as canon. Supplementary information, sure, but something that conflicts or contradicts the anime is overruled. In this case, he didn't say he never kissed in the anime, so in my personal headcanon (and because it's not a retcon), that takes precedence over the manga.
But, if you WILL take the Super series as canon, I think it makes much more sense to give more credibility to manga, since there is more involvement of Toriyama on it than in the anime. Altought we already know Toriyama only gives a little draft to Toyotaro/Toei conduct the arcs the way they want to.
Sorry for bad english. I'm not fluent in your language, so, if you want to correct some mistake of mine, please do it. I'll be grateful

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:32 pm

It's Goku so I'm not that surprised.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:50 pm

It's unfunny trivia. It's not a fact they needed to add, because it "alienates" (ha) Goku so much. Even Vegeta kisses (judging from his expression and the fact that he's married too), so why can't Goku have done it? He has two sons, damn it! But, even though it annoys me, it's said in both the anime and the manga, with the manga being very specific (the deflection theory where Goku thought Vegeta meant mouth-to-mouth Senzu feeding doesn't work in the manga), so there's nothing to be done about it. Goku seriously hasn't ever kissed, that's just how it is.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:53 pm

It's an oddity that people are overacting too. Yes, it's entirely possible, even if unlikely.
DBZAOTA482 wrote:and it dehumanizes Goku's character.
Less human... Because he hasn't kissed his wife?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:56 pm

Kanassa wrote:It's an oddity that people are overacting too. Yes, it's entirely possible, even if unlikely.
You don't think someone not kissing their wife is odd? If it's human to be affectionate with one's spouse, then certainly the opposite would make him less human.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:57 pm

ABED wrote:
Kanassa wrote:It's an oddity that people are overacting too. Yes, it's entirely possible, even if unlikely.
You don't think someone not kissing their wife is odd?
''It's an oddity'', ''Even if unlikely''. Being odd does not make one less human, or Goku's character would already be dehumanised.

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:10 pm

It also doesn't make sense from Chi-Chi's perspective. Let's say Goku doesn't know how to kiss.

But are you seriously going to say Chi-Chi has never kissed Goku in 40+ years? How is that even believeable? Chi-Chi was obsessed with marriage and romance, why would she not kiss him?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:16 pm

Kanassa wrote:
ABED wrote:

You don't think someone not kissing their wife is odd?
''It's an oddity'', ''Even if unlikely''. Being odd does not make one less human, or Goku's character would already be dehumanised.
This isn't merely odd. What person doesn't show affection to someone they've slept with?

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:23 pm

ABED wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
ABED wrote:You don't think someone not kissing their wife is odd?
This isn't merely odd. What person doesn't show affection to someone they've slept with?
Kissing isn't the only way to show affection

Kanassa wrote:

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:24 pm

A unfunny joke. It's pointless and you can ignore it if you want.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:27 pm

Goku is a certified G. Able to make Chi Chi 2 kids and she stills cooks for him. At least it explaines her bad mood

Awesome... but NOT funny but stupid

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:37 pm

Kissing isn't the only way to show affection
No, never said it was, but it's a big one. This is a joke that stretched credibility too far for the sake of the joke. Goku's had sex at least twice, but never kissed in nearly 40 years?